Asking permission to search

John5280

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2014
Denver CO.
Primary Interest:
Other
First off, I'm new to the fever of hunting for artifacts, but boy do I have it bad.
I have two questions that I am going to throw out and hopefully someone can help. I'm in Denver Colorado and everything I read and hear is that the best places to hunt for arrowheads is on the plains, on farms. Does anyone have a suggestion of what area to go? I don't want to drive all over and not have any clue. Second question, what is the best way to ask a land owner for permission to hunt on his or her land? I don't want to be rude.
Again, hope someone can help with those two questions.

Thanks

John

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am definitely no expert, but I have some experience searching for Primitive American artifacts. We would use a topo map and find old creeks, and walk down them and check out the banks and sand bars. Especially look at older waterways where the water has cut into the rocks or bedrocks, essentially smaller rivers. We would also find old river beds. Be careful that you don't trespass, stay on the banks and in the water if possible. Also research old records and locate old springs and areas that artifacts have been found.

Mileaway

Aug 15, 2011
Sonora,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Prospector
First off, I'm new to the fever of hunting for artifacts, but boy do I have it bad.
I have two questions that I am going to throw out and hopefully someone can help. I'm in Denver Colorado and everything I read and hear is that the best places to hunt for arrowheads is on the plains, on farms. Does anyone have a suggestion of what area to go? I don't want to drive all over and not have any clue. Second question, what is the best way to ask a land owner for permission to hunt on his or her land? I don't want to be rude.
Again, hope someone can help with those two questions.

Thanks

John

John,
You might try groups like this.

Arrowheadhunters.com

Good Luck! :-) M

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Treat land and its owners as you would have your land and self treated. A wild example of me approaching you. "I,m into what people of this era,s activities are compared to others,where they put their t.v. , barbeque grills, ect. ,mind if I take a peek?"You think I,m nuts or have a strange hobby but my sincerity which is hard to fake might be what determines the occasional permission. Just be honest of what you are up to as a hobby and understand some people are just not comfortable allowing others access. That,s o.k., don,t dwell on the no,s. Just hit another place. If its a farm consider when they are likely least busy,(maybe later in the day) and if you are healthy and its a productive site ,offer to help out if they need it.Remember,they might wish they had time to hunt. Ask where to park, what areas are off limits and where property boundaries are. Also do they want you to tell them when you are leaving. Many reasons they may want to know but a basic one is so they don,t worry about you being alright. Also know before you ask if your willing to.. show your finds,share your finds,or surrender your finds. Smile, be polite and thank them for their time even if told no. Still polite and smiling,honestly. They have friends and neighbors and associate's and you will have a reputation for wanting to look for artifacts among them and their locals. Once you are established your prior and current attitude will open doors,if your honest. If they think poorly of your attitude, that,s going to hurt permissions of course. Don,t be afraid to send a thank you during the off season to your considerate landowners perhaps.Happy hunting!

Last edited:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The advice already given is solid and I have just a couple more.
Don't show up at the people's door in a group or even a pair. In today's world, several strangers walking up to your front door might be a dangerous thing. Dress clean and presentable......go BEFORE a hunt, not AFTER going somewhere else and crawling around getting dirty. That sounds simple, but some folks may not think of that angle.

When you approach the front door, knock or ring the bell AND STEP BACK a couple of steps. If the lady of the house is alone, she'll be a little less intimidated if you are NOT standing in her face if or when she opens the door. That can also work if it is a man answering. And, if you are wearing a hat or cap.....take it OFF when the door is opened.

If the house is in the country and has a screened in front porch, do NOT try to open the screendoor to walk up to the solid front door. Stay out on the step and knock loudly on the post to the side of the screen door and call out, "HELLO THE HOUSE." When the homeowner comes to the door, step back and do as suggested above.

Today's younger folks just have not been taught the good manners most of us older guys have and some even think it's silly. Well, if you think good manners are silly, then find another hobby because you're not going to get anywhere. You do not have to bow and scrape.......just use common sense and "yes-mam" and "no-mam" goes a long way.

If the farm / ranch has cattle and / or horses......make sure you reclose all gates / gaps that you may open. Make sure they are well closed and not just hap hazardly. If you do any digging.....fill in the hole. Dug holes left uncovered can cause a horse or cow to break their leg.

If there are any cows on the property and will be in the area you're searching........keep an eye on them. Cows are very curious animals....especially around something or someone NEW. One of the biggest scares I've had was while kneeling recovering a coin in an area where some cows were grazing. I was wearing headphones and had my back to the group and never noticed one ole heffer slowly walking up to me, wondering who I was and what was I up to. When I didn't pay attention, she gave me a little nudge and THAT is what scared the hell out of me. LOL If there's a bull in the pasture.......stay out...especially if he hasn't been castrated. You never know just what he will do. :laughing7:

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really good information. What Shortstack said about manners is really important. A lot of the farmhouses I've knocked on are owned by older folks. They grew up in an era when people actually had manners.

I almost always get permission. I use topo maps and Google Earth to locate spots. Then I get online to the tax records and find the owner. Then I do some searching for information about the landowner. I actually like it when they are older folks. They usually have an interest in history. I've spent 45 minutes on the front porch chatting about the history of the area.

Of course, the key to finding spots is research. Read about the history of the area. You're in a good area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread