Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I wasn't sure which thread to post this link in, but because it mentions the Roman goddess Diana (Artemis), I thought I'd put it in my own thread.

I've seen many posts about witch carvings or shapes at suspected treasure sites and always wondered how a witch would be connected to a treasure site. The link also mentions the connection between witches and snakes.

Serpent in the Mound

The first part of this next link explains the link between Diana and witches.

Aradia

Last edited:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a raised diamond shape just above the stag's head.

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
This is a great thread. One thing I have to add when tracing origins, so much of this stuff (owls symbolism, sun symbolism, moon symbolism M, 13, etc.) transcends so many cultures, mythologies, and time periods that it can get muddled and confusing, quickly, for the dichotomies that exist. While the Athena line is relatively pleasant, you can trace certain lines of owl symbolism to some dastardly type deeds and characters, like child sacrifice. I suppose one of the important things to understand in all of this is which line of thought whomever you are tracking referred to.

That and to understand when they may be using the duality of those dichotomies of more than one line of symbolism origins ...

Thanks Nobody. The study of the different religions can get pretty intense. Sometimes I have to back off for awhile when researching the ancient stuff. Even though things didn't get much better as Christianity grew.

I'm looking for connections with the symbols that are used along the North American trails and the mythology of the ancient Mediterranean religions. I've spent several years looking for some type of symbolism that shows an owl and a duck together. Just last week I found a picture showing the Spartan goddess Ortheia with an owl and duck above her shoulders. Here's the link.

Goddesses and Rites

This could be important at the place I'm studying. The time period of the goddess fits well with the development of the Hopewell culture where I live. I'll need a lot more evidence to prove anything but I enjoy the research.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Thanks for the picture, Dog. You have a lot of shadow stuff at your places. I'll bet you could start a real good thread showing how the shadows were created.

It's my opinion that the shadow rocks are not created - most all of them are natural phenomena. Here's something to look for, IMO: the presence of petroglyphs within the shadows. If you find a carving in or near the odd-shaped shadow, you might wonder if the carver noticed the shadow too and left his message there. If so, it's the carving that you need to work on, not the shadow - which is likely just a convenient eye catcher to draw your attention.

Lost Horse

Nov 3, 2008
OWL BUILDINGS.jpg

Lost Horse

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone else noticed that those Eastern owls do not have ears?? Does that mean the owls in the monuments of Mexico and America are all representing the Great Horned Owl or the Barn Owls??

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Thanks for posting folks. I am having some problems with inflammation in my hands and it bothers me to use the computer. Give me a couple of days and I'll answer your posts.

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
To follow up on my earlier post, consider these couple pics of Athena busts. Note the very 'Egyptian' looking headdress:

View attachment 1034796

Here is a different one, with some interesting things to discuss:

View attachment 1034797

Much talk about wisdom and owls surrounding Athena, but there is more. The helmet represents secrecy. The spear is representative of enlightenment (Lance of Longinus?...?). Both Athena and Apollo are Shakers of the Spear at the Dragon of Ignorance. This leads into a HUGE tangent about who Shakes Spear (Shakespeare) really was. Apollo also has the Sun God thing going on.

The serpent in the statue represents at least two things. It symbolizes the serpents that guard the child Athena took from Gaia (Mother Earth) as well as the child himself. The serpent, beyond that, is a well used symbol. Here is a pic of Athena receiving her child:

View attachment 1034809

Concerning that image from a vase, c.a. 420 BC:

It depicts the birth of the 'Earth-born One' (Erichthonios). Earth (Gaia) presents the new-born child to Athena, who represents the reborn serpent-friendly Eve after the Flood. The figure to the left of Gaia and the child is Hephaistos, the eldest son of Zeus and Hera, the deified Kain. According to one version of the myth surrounding this event, Athena obtained the sperm, or seed, of Hephaistos (Kain), and placed it into the Earth, and out of Earth sprang the rejuvenated line of Kain after the Flood. The essence of ancient Greek religion is very simple. After the Flood, which caused the line of Kain to disappear into the earth, Athena, the reborn serpent-friendly Eve, nurtures the reborn line of Kain which re-emerges from the earth into which it had disappeared. Another, darker version of the myth says Erichthonios is Athena’s own child, born after her father, the winged-God Pallas, raped her.

Notice the checkerboard decoration on Athena's garb: her helmet and cuirass are checked black and white [White and black checkerboard floor of the Masons]. The helmet is feathered, harking back to Athena’s archaic origins as a bird goddess, and the owl is prominently featured, hovering above Athena’s right shoulder. Although it is a little unclear in the image, the black edging or trim on her gown (possibly meant to represent the Aegis) ends in the heads of two serpents.

Concerning Athena's heritage:

Archaic Athena is not a Greek goddess, she predates them and her name does not have a Greek etymology. She is an echo of an ancient goddess, perhaps a bird goddess. In the classical Greek period, Athena was associated with an owl, "wisdom" (perhaps a remnant of her bird goddess origins). In poetry from Homer onward, Athena's most common epithet is glaukopis, which is usually translated "bright-eyed" or "with gleaming eyes." It is a combination of glaukos ("gleaming," "silvery," and later, "bluish-green" or "gray") and ops ("eye," or sometimes, "face"). Glaux, "owl," is from the same root, presumably because of its own distinctive eyes. The bird that sees in the night is closely associated with the goddess of wisdom: in archaic images, she is frequently depicted with an owl perched on her head.

There are some nasty bird/lady type beings that predate Athena. Something important about that eye thing and its relation to an owl's eye. I have posted this before, the Seal of Colorado, also the State flag around Scarlet Shadow time:

View attachment 1034821

That is not the 'Eye of God', like we are told - that is, of course, unless God is an owl ...

The design for the Territorial Seal which served as a model for the State Seal or Great Seal of Colorado has been variously credited, but the individual primarily responsible was Lewis Ledyard Weld, the Territorial Secretary, appointed by President Lincoln in July of 1861. There is also evidence that Territorial Governor William Gilpin also was at least partially responsible for the design. Both Weld and Gilpin were knowledgeable in the art and symbolism of heraldry. Elements of design from both the Weld and Gilpin family coat-of-arms are incorporated in the Territorial Seal.

Gilpin County is where Central City and Blackhawk are, the epicenter and beginnings of the 1860's gold rush. Weld County is north east of Denver and where the town Greeley, of Horace Greeley, editor of the New York Times and who penned "Go west, young man," concerning the Colorado Gold Rush, is.

It seems the Egyptian looking Athena is from a temple at Mycenae from about 625 BC. The Phoenicians were heavily influenced by the Egyptians and had some connection with Sparta which isn't far from Mycenae. Might have been some type of shared interpretation of Athena with one of the Middle East cultures. The owl is associated with Athena, the goddess of wisdom so it is probable that the wise owl wasn't that wise until this association. And when did the owl become wise? Was it during the Middle Ages or perhaps latter? The ancient Greeks knew Athena as being wise but why did they portray her with an owl? It is probably like you suggest, carried over from some other more ancient goddess. The Ishtar picture also shows owls but what do they mean when they're pictured with her. It's probably creepy whatever it is. I think the owl was also associated with tombs and secluded places. The "mother of the beasts" was represented by a goddess in some of the ancient cultures and in Greece it was Artemis. Maybe the owl was something borrowed from her. Who knows? Unless there is some ancient manuscript that addresses the symbolism of the owl, I guess what we have is the interpretations of archeologists and historians. Springfield said in one of his posts on this thread that researching this stuff was a deep rabbit hole to jump into and he was right.

That's interesting about the symbolism of the helmet and spear. Do you know of any group that has used that in their symbolism?

on the hunt

Feb 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
summer 250 (800x600).jpg Hello Mdog was reading your thread ( which is a great thread ) and thought this pic should be posted in this thread. Mdog take a look at this guy he stands about 20 foot tall and is one of the finest examples that I have ever seen.

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I had to dig into some boxes of books to do some fact checking on some Colorado History stuff. Before I found the books I was after, I came across a couple of my symbol dictionaries/encyclopedias. From A Dictionary of Symbols by J.E. Cirlot, which is an English translation of the Spanish book Diccionario de Simbolos Tradicionales:

Helmet In heraldic symbolism, it is an emblem of lofty thoughts, or if hidden thoughts if the visor is lowered . This latter aspect corresponds to the general symbolism of invisibility, which is thus equated with the hood and the hat, although this seems to be a clear case of undue emphasis upon one meaning at the expense of all others. The inevitable and intimate association of the helmet with the head has an important bearing upon the realation between two symbols: thus, a helmet with a strange crest may be a symbol of highly imaginative or restless exhilaration. The hat, the hood and the mantilla have the same initmate, symbolic association with the head: their colour usually denotes the wearer's prevailing shade of thought.

Lance A symbol of war, and also a phallic symbol. It is a weapon of earthly character, in contrast to the celestial implications of the sword. It is connected with symbolism of the cup or chalice. Generally speaking, the lance is comparable from the symbological point of view with the branch, the tree, the cross, and all symbols pertaining to the valley-mountain axis. In Libro del orden de caballeria, Raymond Lull expresses the beleif that the lance is given to a knight as a symbol of rectitude. The 'bleeding lance', which appears in the legend of the Grail, has sometimes been iterpreted as the Lance of Loginus, realting it to that of the Passion. There are authors who reject this interpretation and see it rather as a general sacrificial symbol.

From The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Signs and Symbols: The Ultimate A-Z Guide from Alchemy to the Zodiac, by Adele Nozedar:

Helmet Like the hood, the helmet is a symbol of invisibility. It also denotes power and invulnerability. The Greek King of Hell, Hades, wears a helmet, and epitomizes all these powers. The covered-face helmet shares many of the same qualities as the mask.

Thanks for the post and the titles. The helmet being a symbol of invisibility is real interesting and probably a good symbol for a secret society.

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
View attachment 1037020 Hello Mdog was reading your thread ( which is a great thread ) and thought this pic should be posted in this thread. Mdog take a look at this guy he stands about 20 foot tall and is one of the finest examples that I have ever seen.

Thanks OTH. That is a good picture. There is an owl about 35 feet tall where I am and there is a big duck carved just to the right of it. Have you seen any ducks carved at your site?

on the hunt

Feb 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Mdog I have seen a Duck carving at the site. He is not very big but I have seen one at the site. Mdog if you will take a look at that boulder beside the Owl you can see a fairly good size 8 on that boulder. Have you seen any eight's at your site? I have a couple of more eight's that are near by and was wondering if you have had any experience with the number 8. I have read a few things on tnet about the Owl and the 8 but no one has said much about them when they are together at a site.

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Hello Mdog I have seen a Duck carving at the site. He is not very big but I have seen one at the site. Mdog if you will take a look at that boulder beside the Owl you can see a fairly good size 8 on that boulder. Have you seen any eight's at your site? I have a couple of more eight's that are near by and was wondering if you have had any experience with the number 8. I have read a few things on tnet about the Owl and the 8 but no one has said much about them when they are together at a site.

OTH, I looked at the picture and I couldn't spot the 8, sometime I have a hard time picking things out. If it's carved and on its side, it could be an infinity symbol. Here's a link.

Infinity symbol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bob Collins has a good thread going about the infinity symbol.

Here is another possibility for a cache site set up by the Masons. The 8th letter of the alphabet is H.
[SIZE=+1]HAIL
or HALE.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This word is used among Freemasons with two very different significations.
l. When addressed as an inquiry to a visiting Brother it has the same import as that in which it is used under like circumstances by mariners. Thus: "Whence do you hail?" that is, "Of what Lodge are you a member?" Used in this sense, it comes from the Saxon term of salutation huel, and should be spelled hail.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]2. Its second use is confined to what Freemasons understand by the tie, and in this sense it signifies to conceal, being derived from the Saxon word helan, to hide, the e being pronounced in Anglo-Saxon as a in the word fate. By the rules of etymology, it should be written hate, but is usually spelled hele.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The preservation of this Saxon word in the Masonic dialect, while it has ceased to exist in the vernacular, is a striking proof of the antiquity of the Order and its ceremonies in England. "In the western parts of England," says Lord King (Critical History of the Apostle's Creed, page 178), "at this very day, to hele over anything signifies, among the common people, to cover it; and he that covereth an house with tile or slate is called a helliar."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]"As regards the Anglo-Saxon hele, it survives of course in the word Hell—the covered world—of the Apostle's Creed, but," says Brother Canon J. W. Horsley, (page 21, Transactions, Quatuor Coronati Lodge, volume xxvi, 1913), "I thought until lately that a hellyer, that is, a thatcher who covers over with thatch the sticks of corn, was only North Country. However, lately when asking who had so well covered a stick close to Detling Church I was told it was a hellyer from the next village. And in the best dictionary of the Kentish dialect I find:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Hele (heel) verb, to cover
Heal (heel) verb, to hide, to cover anything up; to roof in.
''All right! I'll work Jim; I've only just got this 'ere row o taturs to heal."
Heler (hee-ler) substantive. anything which is laid over another: as, for instance, the cover of a thurrick, or wooden drain.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]To the above information Brother Doctor Hammond added that in the West of England, the word "hele" is used at the present time, and its common pronunciation there and on the moors of the Cornish Country is hale (see also Heler). From correspondence with Brother Charles E. Funk in regard to the pronunciation of the word, we learn he is convinced that in most Lodges until 1750, and perhaps even later than 1800, the words hele, conceal, reveal, were perfect rhymes pronounced hayl, concayl, revayl, as they would be in Ireland today, but modern dictionaries give the pronunciation as heel.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]*

The 8 could mean distance or direction, as well.

There is something else I've noticed about the 8. You have mentioned before that you had shadow art at your site. I've seen, at a couple of places, two scooped out circles, one above the other, like an 8. These circles were created on the face of a cliff so that when the sun hit them, about noon, the shadows that were formed looked like a shadow owl. Just something to look for.[/SIZE]

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions