Spanish & KGC in the ozark mountains.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Benjamin Franklin Ficklin was involved with the railroad from the time it was just a path between stage coach stops along the way. Ficklin serveyed a lot of it himself. When the government contract for the transcontinental railroad was issued Ficklin was Hiram Sibley's first partner. Ironically....:dontknow: the other two bidders dropped out and the contract was issued to a man that partnered with a C.S.A. spy, blockade runner, who was eventually arrested for being involved in the Lincoln assassination. He was held until the others were convicted and hung, then they let him go without ever placing charges on him. If they had known about his ties to Senator M. Gwin back in 1853 and his friends and partners that belonged to the Nebraska City castle of the K.G.C., he would have had some more explaining and avoiding questions to do.:thumbsup:

L.C.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
What would a person think of a rail road that went to the middle of no where stopped and turned around. This has me wondering a great many things about what was going on in this place.

Clueman

Oct 15, 2004
Hello .........Many railroads had "spurs", a track that intersected with the main line. Many of these were used to connect logging operations (like they still do in the Ozarks, Midwest Timber has many active spurs for loading Walnut). Some were used to connect to loading stations for other natural resources (Limestone quarry).

There is an active loading spur about 6 miles from my house.

I hope this answers your railroad spur question.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
Any one ever heard of mining gold out of sand stone bluffs in Arkansas.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
I've heard some thing to that effect. I found some holes that where hand dug back about 15-29 feet into a sand stone bluff when I was a kid. Always thought the Indians done it for some reason. Then got to reading up on the Spanish and read some thing where they could mine gold out of sand stone.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
Got a friend that found several holes in a solid rock bottom that where put in by people. They have springs that fill them with water. He says they're tanning springs the Indians tanned hides in. Seems like a lot of trouble for Indians to chip out four big holes in solid rock to tan hides in.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
They could build a fire to hollow them out to but it would take a long time to get them that deep.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
Found an old civil war encampment that is interesting. There is also a story that goes with it. The way an old woman told me when I was a kid that there was a payroll unit camped there and they stashed the payroll and joined a battle over the the mountain in the next valley. They where killed and no one returned. The payroll is buried still.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
Has any one found man made caves. There more like holes that just go back a little ways. Mostly with smooth sides. Kind of roundish type holes.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a friend that found several holes in a solid rock bottom that where put in by people. They have springs that fill them with water. He says they're tanning springs the Indians tanned hides in. Seems like a lot of trouble for Indians to chip out four big holes in solid rock to tan hides in.

Orangeman, that theory isn't all that farthetched.
Indian camps were both, seasonal and permanent.

They moved to follow their food supply's trail. Whether birds, fish, deer, buffalo or vegetation, those cycles led them back annually to the same plots.

Things like fire pits and tanning pits were probably used for generations.

When you see those places, look around to find natural shelters and clean water supplies and food.

Probably looking in those places one might find tools or hunting supplies like arrow heads etc...

I would enjoy seeing those places and finding their history.

Sometimes the journey and discovery are the destination.

As for arrowhead hunting...
Just walk behind me and look in my footprints. That is how my kids found them. I stink at finding them.

MIKEL
#/;0)~

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for KGC signs, I am not convinced that they are not among the signs on my site.

Many similarities.
#/;0)~

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
There are Indian settlements a over this area. I know a place a few miles away that a whole bunch could've stayed and did stay.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
Any of the historical places do. Found a civil war camp site that was pretty cool. Indian settlements are all over here. The one that I talked about earlier is pretty interesting. There are a bunch of over hangs in about a fifty yard area. Full of history. They've been dug up and tore up a lot but still a lot there. There is a rock shaped into a chair over looking all the over hangs right on the edge of a bluff.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
You can find arrow heads just about any where. In the creek, in fields, in the road. No telling. My cousins found a stone knife in a small creek bed when we where kids. That was a real find. He's still got it over thirty years later.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
Juba ll. Thanks for the interpretation I'm going to look into where a church may have been there.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
There are several old home places just out in the middle of the woods. Some are close to a hundred years old some have fruit trees still. The rock foundations are still at some most just have the chimney left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread