Spanish & KGC in the ozark mountains.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
Here's a question. There have been a few things found in Arkansas that suggests that the Spanish mined gold. I'm talking of the Boston mountains. Just how would they go about that and just finding enough to mine would be a task in its self.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
... and in Arkansas, don't forget to look for the jonquils in the spring. Most foundations were outlined in them.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The number one problem you will encounter (at least in my experience) is that nearly every cave has a legend of someone either finding or hiding treasure in them. It's also funny how many stories of gold mines there are in an area that supposedly doesn't have gold. If anything the Spanish would have been mining for lead or silver.

The number one thing that will stand in the way of finding meaningful history is the fact that so much of our history was rooted along the White River, which is now a series of huge man made lakes. It wasn't until the lakes were being made that people had to start relocating to higher ground. It is beyond belief just how much of history has been lost to lakes and government blockade. Honestly I am of the opinion that hiding history is the intent behind some of these areas.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Honestly I am of the opinion that hiding history is the intent behind some of these areas.

nailonhead_zps9a7edeac.jpg

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
I've grew up around folks that remember the buffalo river and a big part of the Ozark national being owned by people before it was took. We still call different places in the forest and on the river by the names of the family's that owned them.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
But y'all are right land grabs look like a way to wipe out history. But names of places have meaning. Richland creek. Silver hill. Silver run. There's a reason they're named that. I know silver hill was named due to a Spanish silver mine. And it was found with the tools that worked it.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First one... not natural.
Second one... I'd like another angle, but I'd risk vote for turtle.

#/;0)~

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Second one... I'd like another angle, but I'd risk vote for turtle.

#/;0)~

Not an expert, but I'd say you're right ... sea turtle that reminds me of one in a lake in North Arkansas (I think) where the Jesse James stone that was stolen used to be. Once had a pic of a photographer standing on the turtle and he had no idea what it was.

OP
OP
O

orangeman

Jan 15, 2014
I get back in there I'll get picture at different angle. Of the turtle looking rock

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty much what I saw, but with what looks like more body behind the head.
It's hard to say for sure from my phone.

That first rectangle shaped stone looks man made to me.
Mother nature is reluctant to make right angles
#/;0)~

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1259934 . Found this maybe some thing may not.

The six pointed carving is found among the K.G.C. signs. It is called a sextile. I'm not sure how many compass degrees it relates to, but the semi-textile
( 1/2 of that carving. ) represents sixty degrees.

You might run that past old dog to be sure. I think that is who gave me that info.

#/;0)~

weekender

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas-River Valley-Ft. Smith
Detector(s) used
Prism V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The six pointed carving is found among the K.G.C. signs. It is called a sextile. I'm not sure how many compass degrees it relates to, but the semi-textile
( 1/2 of that carving. ) represents sixty degrees.

You might run that past old dog to be sure. I think that is who gave me that info.

#/;0)~

You should post that picture on the KGC site, there are several knowledgeable folks that could probably
shed some light on that carving and what it means.
-Weekender

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread