Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt it is a death trap.

Are you sure its not just a BR? We have a guy here named Bill Riley. If your sign is down near Tucson, it might be him. HAHAHA

Mike

OP
OP
S

sombroro

Greenie
Apr 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You're right. It could be someone's initials. It could also be within a mile of a 50+ foot owl carved into a cliff that has a cave under its wing. Thanks for your help.

View attachment 1147735

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....you got to get out while you're young!

You know, tramps like us.......

BABY WE WERE BORN TOOOO RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

I SAW WHERE YOU WERE GOING WITH THAT TITLE!

Mike

Last edited:

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is also a nice little 'A' just below the diagonal line at its midpoint. Is the owl you described found some distance to the right of the BR?

OP
OP
S

sombroro

Greenie
Apr 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hi Blind in Texas,

The colossal owl in my above post is some distance, yes, but I don't know which direction from this particular view. The area is teeming with carved lava. I'm thinking the lava was used as storage while they carved out the tunnel under the big owl in the cliff.

What does 'A' mean? I'm halfway through The Rocks Begin to Speak and really enjoying it.

I see at least three and possibly five owls in this photo.
View attachment 1148178

There are also hearts
View attachment 1148508

Nesting birds
View attachment 1148509

And a couple daunting looking characters
View attachment 1148510

View attachment 1148511

Thank you for looking!

Last edited:

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"A" could mean any number of things according to the person who put it there. If you are the one taking the pictures, how can you not know if the owl is to the right, left, or behind your BR rock?

OP
OP
S

sombroro

Greenie
Apr 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
"A" could mean any number of things according to the person who put it there. If you are the one taking the pictures, how can you not know if the owl is to the right, left, or behind your BR rock?

I didn't take the photos -- my family sent them to me. I saw A's in a couple other photos too, but can't see the one you're referring to. Thanks again.

OP
OP
S

sombroro

Greenie
Apr 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks for the extra eyes! Here's some more contrast. I think I see another A to the right, and a cross on the rock above. I appreciate your taking the time. Thank you.

View attachment 1148822

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
bro2.jpg
In the top orange circle "I think" is a face looking to the left and pointing out a trail.
Picture quality is low and can't be certain of of that sign.
In the lower circle is a dogs head. Am certain of this one and it's a good sign.

Look up the thread " Basic signs and symbols you have found" by old dog and anything old dog has posted.
He generously provided a great deal of information including how to interpret your letters and you'll learn about dogs and much, much more.

OP
OP
S

sombroro

Greenie
Apr 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow! You guys are good!

I see that dog now. I totally missed that before.

Here's an enhancement of those top two rocks. There's definitely a face. It's like another dog... or cat? Some kind of animal with a square body and human-like face (eyebrows?)

View attachment 1150061

And here's the big picture without any enhancements.

View attachment 1150060

I located this area on an old (1700s) map indicating this area was inhabited by Comanche tribes, AND it was also marked as "ruins" back then.

Thank you for pointing me to Old Dog's thread. I'll look for it later when I have more time. I read Lost Horse's thread beginning to end in one sitting. This site is just chock full of treasures.

Thank you, Tertiary Jim.

OP
OP
S

sombroro

Greenie
Apr 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
FYI, here's a "before and after" pic of the colossal owl and his treasure room. The first was taken in the morning and the second in the afternoon.

View attachment 1150071

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice picture. I, for one, am a hard sell. Not that it matters what I think. The "common consensus" on the 'B=13' debate is that the two humps are just oh-so-close to the vertical part of the letter or butted up against it. Yours however, overlaps nicely at top and bottom and thus 'breaks that rule'. I doubt it does equal 13 anyway but, I'm not there and I don't have your map.

Post #6 3rd photo: Check out the very large rock in the background, all by itself, sitting on a pile of very small rocks. Any chance of a series of better pictures as you close in on it?

Last edited:

Barton

Apr 21, 2005
Abiquiu, NM
Detector(s) used
What ever is needed for the project I am working on--I am a cache hunter
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Somboro,

Here is my take on your photo--it is NOT a Treasure Room
I would look carefully at those three tiny HOYO's--to see what they are telling you.
With out being there to view the monument from all sides and look at it around noon--
The best i can say it the fish shaped object pointing to the right is telling you to go to the right
on this stone is also an OWL--looking to the right--the inward v shape on the rock--with the ears to the right
---now walking way out on a limb
the stone below the owl tells you the distance to travel

Here is what the usual treasure vault or treasure room looks like:
Look around you at the average terrain--be it forest, mountains,lava,desert, grassland, ect, ect
That is what it looks like---NORMAL GROUND!!!

THE PLACES--THAT DRAW YOU IN TO THEM--AND YOU GET ALL EXCITE TO DIG ARE NORMALLY TRAPS
(DO NOT DIG HERE )

Barton

OP
OP
S

sombroro

Greenie
Apr 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Here's the original for "the flock."
View attachment 1150399

As I wasn't there in person, I don't know if this is the one you're asking about or not, but he looks kind of similar.
View attachment 1150403

And here's a nice hoya.
View attachment 1150404

------
A note about the photo with the hoyo: There are two rocks in the left foreground that are bugging me. They kind of produce an optical illusion of a second hoyo. Do you see it? And the top rock looks like it has the profile of a face looking left.
------
I have plenty more! Let me know if you'd like to see them.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sombroro

Greenie
Apr 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Somboro,

Here is my take on your photo--it is NOT a Treasure Room
I would look carefully at those three tiny HOYO's--to see what they are telling you.
With out being there to view the monument from all sides and look at it around noon--
The best i can say it the fish shaped object pointing to the right is telling you to go to the right
on this stone is also an OWL--looking to the right--the inward v shape on the rock--with the ears to the right
---now walking way out on a limb
the stone below the owl tells you the distance to travel

Here is what the usual treasure vault or treasure room looks like:
Look around you at the average terrain--be it forest, mountains,lava,desert, grassland, ect, ect
That is what it looks like---NORMAL GROUND!!!

THE PLACES--THAT DRAW YOU IN TO THEM--AND YOU GET ALL EXCITE TO DIG ARE NORMALLY TRAPS
(DO NOT DIG HERE )

Barton

Hi Barton,

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not planning on digging, I'm just really curious and wouldn't mind exploring. I don't see the hoyas or fish. I thought I saw a second owl (hilighted in the shade) but wasn't sure. Here's the big picture.

View attachment 1150425

Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread