Came upon this the other day and could use some help figuring it out......

westy

Greenie
Sep 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm very new to this "rock reading" stuff, BUT, not at all new to the Southwest desert, local history, missions, (mostly in Baja)ghost towns, Mexico, off-roading and dispersed camping(usually in the desert).

Now that I sound like a profile for an on line dating site, here's the thing;
Saw this the other day, while taking a casual cruise in our local mountains, on a trail we/I had not been up before. The wife wanted me to stop, so she could check out some pinecones, so I got out and wondered over a small hill.
This is what I saw

Attachments

• 20151004_153507 - Copy.jpg
    20151004_153507 - Copy.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 119
OP
OP
westy

westy

Greenie
Sep 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
....."cool, a rock that looks like a whale, or a dolphin", I thought. When I walked over to take a closer look, I found this wedged in a space(you cant see it from the 1st photo) where I put the arrow.

Attachments

• 20151004_153756 - Copy.jpg
    20151004_153756 - Copy.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 103
OP
OP
westy

westy

Greenie
Sep 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I searched around a little and found a couple of things.
1st; not a lot of rocks in the area and they were all grey.(light grey to extremely dark grey aside from some old growth of moss or what not)
2nd; This rock sits on a very high point in a canyon BUT the downward side doesn't remotely look like it.
3rd the downward side is flat and large....almost purposely and has some very old and faded writings. So old and faded, they don't really show up when I 'downsize' to fit the foto.( I will say, they're very basic) 2 stick figures looking the same way, side by side. MAYBE a star of David, looking object and quite a few other items, too faded to make out. The only way I could tell they were there was they were a light, light brownish color, that did not fit in w/ any of the rock colors in the area..
4th; This area has NO EXTENSIVE MINING to speak of, in its past. Yes, there was a small gold mine or two, but they would fizzle out very quickly. It would be about a 3 or 4 days walk to anything substantial.

Its been said I look at the world in a slightly different manner then most,
so what do you guys think?
Am I "chasing clouds" as they say?
Thanks

Last edited:

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
You aren't chasing clouds, it's a dolphin, I have seen a few similar. The top fin of yours, since it's so prominent will likely be used as a point to line up to something. They are very old and at one time marked a nearby location.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
let me get this straight.....some one marked the location of something valuable with a full sized dolphin....whose dorsal fin points to something.....
Could be, I guess, but I'm highly skeptical.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
let me get this straight.....some one marked the location of something valuable with a full sized dolphin....whose dorsal fin points to something.....

The dorsal fin doesn't point at anything. You use it like a surveyors stake or point.

OP
OP
westy

westy

Greenie
Sep 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other

....lmao. :laughing7:
Yup. That's what I said, BUT, that heart is what got me thinking. IT was purposely put there and you've got to be on top of it in order to see it. Here is the photo of 2 rocks, one sitting on another. They are both very smooth and for all intense purposes, very round with the exception of the flat areas, where they sit upon each other....and they're huge. About the size of a very small car
They are about 75 paces away from the whale/dolphin rock w/ this pointing to it THAT rock.
*keep in mind, I don't proclaim to know
it all, but I do where to go to find some of the answers*

Attachments

• 20151004_154831 - Copy (2).jpg
    20151004_154831 - Copy (2).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
OP
OP
westy

westy

Greenie
Sep 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
....and this under the 2 rocks. AGAIN, this rock and color is not found in this immediate area. I can see some across the canyon, so it's not that Im saying its NOWHERE to be found, just not RIGHT HERE.

Attachments

• 20151004_154831 - Copy.jpg
    20151004_154831 - Copy.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 90

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread