Walked up in canyon and saw this...

yokes

May 12, 2011
DSCN6775.JPG DSCN6776.JPG DSCN6777.JPG DSCN6780.JPG could this be some symbol or just a work of nature? All comments welcome. Thanks.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you facing east

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Y

yokes

May 12, 2011
It almost seems that there is a some kind of side profile of face in this rock that is looking to the left. No I was not facing east. I was facing more north west.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The face looks like a bear or /and a fox. It has a cross on it or is that an x

OP
OP
Y

yokes

May 12, 2011
I kinda thought that it looks like bears face. Where is the cross? I see like a pionter on right side of rock. The whole rock looks like heart to me

OP
OP
Y

yokes

May 12, 2011
Seems that the mouth of the bear face forms zigzag, the symbol of trap by my knowledge. The point where I saw that rock, the canyon actually forks. There is another, smaller canyon goin to left, and it seems to me thats where the bear is looking to

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Looks like a couple of Trail Markers, one a Heart and a Dog Head sticking in a mouth is it could be a Royal Trail go left and because the head is still in the mouth I would venture a guess that it may be worthy looking into PLEASE DON'T Move anything

tinhorn

Jul 28, 2011
Dsty is right, there is a heart but you are standing in the wrong place to photo from. Find the correct spot to take the picture from then the heart should be much more discernable. I also believe you may have a deathtrap/lightning bolt sign on the right side of the heart once you view it from the correct angle.

OP
OP
Y

yokes

May 12, 2011
Thanks for all the input. Guess I need to plan another hike back there. I followed that canyon few miles but I wasn't looling for any trail markers or anything, til I sow that rock up ahead. Next tome I'd keep my eyes open. There could have been some other markers before. There is few mines nearby from late 1800s and old spanish trail is not too far either.

hadji009

Dec 29, 2008
illinois
great pic,i see owl ears,big heart,little heart on nose along with a Y maybe, DSCN6775 (1)darknlines.jpg the lower circle seems to b the back half of a duck helping create the mouth of dog.

Last edited:

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The top of the bear or dogs head is the head of the eagle that is looking up the hill

OP
OP
Y

yokes

May 12, 2011
Thanks everyone of you for your time and advice. It's sparked more interest in me. Guess we get more info when I hike out there next time. Hopefully I spot some other markers that lead to this bear head rock. That old spanish trail followed some other canyon few miles back, and the canyon where this rock is, is the forkoff of it. So there should be some marker inticating to entrance to this canyon. More I think of it seems it was made for from the direction I come from. If one was heading to that old trail, he cold have just bypass it, unless he happened to lool back. I'd just lile to find something that confirms that it is a marker

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Hello yokes, general in all of the Spanish carvings that everyone references it seems there will always be two, The upside down V, the FLAT TOP rock that seems to hold the boulder up is similar to the Royal Trail markers that myself and others have found, if it is a reference to mines and it may, it looks like there are two directions to travel to the left and to the right, I would use Google Earth and see what is at 2.5 miles, perhaps more marker's ? . Do what you can at the house and see if you can gather more info, direction of travel in my guess is the head with the upside down V both ways

bjgiff

Jul 29, 2010
Hello yokes, general in all of the Spanish carvings that everyone references it seems there will always be two, The upside down V, the FLAT TOP rock that seems to hold the boulder up is similar to the Royal Trail markers that myself and others have found, if it is a reference to mines and it may, it looks like there are two directions to travel to the left and to the right, I would use Google Earth and see what is at 2.5 miles, perhaps more marker's ? . Do what you can at the house and see if you can gather more info, direction of travel in my guess is the head with the upside down V both ways

Flat top rock- not holding a boulder up- and an upside down V? Sorry about the 90 degree rotation.
Flat top.JPG

OP
OP
Y

yokes

May 12, 2011
Thanks again for all the replies. Question for Bjgiff,is that direction marker on the photo you posted? Did some google maping, and my intrest is the dead end canyon that forks left about at the point I took those photos. It seems to be really over grown with bruch. Where did you get that 2.5 miles number Dsty? Hopefully I got time to make it out there this or next weekend. Trying to be there around 11 am, maybe some interesting shadow messages appear.

westy

Greenie
Sep 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
........general in all of the Spanish carvings that everyone references it seems there will always be two, The upside down V, the FLAT TOP rock that seems to hold the boulder up is similar to the Royal Trail markers that myself and others have found.......
Does this apply to the carvings that would be considered "Mexican" markers? (those made when it was no longer under Spanish rule, therefore not wanting to pay homage to the king of Spain?)

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
My thoughts are that the markers fit in the correct degrees and distances, I believe that the degrees that MAY have been used are the 16 compass degrees and it may have used for different purpose's

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread