Your Opinion: what Is This Rock Representing?

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. This rock is at the entrance of a trail near an alpha rock. I'd say this is Spanish, but I am a greenhorn.
In the eastern US, I do not see the large stone monuments that you guys/gals see out west - or at least I haven't yet. Instead, I see one rock that appears to contain information, then other rocks around/near it.
big valley rock 1.jpg
In the case of the location where this rock is, I am pretty confident that the trail leads to a Spanish mine. I have tried to decipher this one fully, but am coming up short. There is a carved out area in the center bottom of the rock sort of looks like a fish with a yellow eye. To the direct right, the same type of shape appears to have been "painted" on. You will probably have to copy this pic and paste it into Paint.net to be able to really see it well. What is your interpretation of the rock, please?
Thanks!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I see a heavily eroded rock. Spanish mine? To determine that I need to know where you are. If "in the east", I doubt it...

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't really see anything on it or shaped into it. However it does have that little hole which could be natural or could be intentional. Uncover and clean the topside of it, see if it is shaped like a wedge or if it has a cut line in it.. Also rake away the ground nearby it and see if you find a triangular, heart shaped, or squarish rock, possibly off color, which often is verifying it as a real marker. It looks like it is on a slight slope and the marker I am saying to look for could have rolled down away from it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it represents an overactive imagination. :thumbsup:

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well could be Terry. Us edgumaketed people can't be fooled by any images in the rocks. They are just your imagination and your brains' desire to make sense out of random patterns. We know this because we've been edgumaketed about it.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What are the statistical odds of going on a few dozen sites with markers and alignments and having everyone of them share the exact same compass bearings and common distances between them, and many of the same images appearing on the rocks in our overactive imagination? Who all here has a compass they mount on a tripod and carries a hundred foot tape and takes measurements on these so called randomly placed boulders by nature? Is it math or the imagination creating multiple statistical coincidences?

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Eh , that may come across as a bit harsh, you are a great at what you do , and I would hire you any time to go out nugget shooting and learn how to use some of the PI's for them, especially if I lived in your area.

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It seems worked, especially the corners, one is like a step-stair.
Perhaps says more but need clean it.
Search more stones with same type of rock.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eh , that may come across as a bit harsh, you are a great at what you do , and I would hire you any time to go out nugget shooting and learn how to use some of the PI's for them, especially if I lived in your area.

Don't want to crush anyone's dreams but the OP did ask for our "opinions." I am harsh, no doubt about it. There is a reason though. I have seen too many people waste too much time and money chasing their imagination. If that is what you want to do - God Bless, but don't ask me for my opinion unless you want to hear it. If you want to disagree with me and continue on down the road in your fantasy world, whether chasing "treasure marking rocks," or the Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine, then good on ya! :skullflag:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
What is on the other side of the rock?

dgrs2

Mar 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see......a rock. I see lots of them when I'm out detecting. Wouldn't go beyond the fact that it's a ROCK! Possible a boulder depending on the size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't really see anything on it or shaped into it. However it does have that little hole which could be natural or could be intentional. Uncover and clean the topside of it, see if it is shaped like a wedge or if it has a cut line in it.. Also rake away the ground nearby it and see if you find a triangular, heart shaped, or squarish rock, possibly off color, which often is verifying it as a real marker. It looks like it is on a slight slope and the marker I am saying to look for could have rolled down away from it.
Thank you, Quinoa. There is a very large triangle rock just to the right, and a smaller heart rock to the right of that one.

OP
OP
M

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it represents an overactive imagination. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your opinion, Terry. You could be right about that, except I have a considerable amount of other evidence.

OP
OP
M

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Weregolf. I had not considered that one corner looking like a stair step. You could be right about that. I will do some cleaning of the top of the rock to see what is there, if anything. There are four carved rocks within a foot or two of this one, plus several more carved rocks in the vicinity and along the trail.
It seems worked, especially the corners, one is like a step-stair.
Perhaps says more but need clean it.
Search more stones with same type of rock.

OP
OP
M

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is on the other side of the rock?

Thanks for your reply, GIB. To the right is a rock that I have no translation for, then a diamond boulder, then a small heart. On the upper side of the rock, which goes farther up the embankment, is a large turtle effigy and a rock that looks like a headstone with the profile of a man's face carved into it. The rock only shows the man's profile down to his mouth, and from there the mouth and whatever is below that is buried.

OP
OP
M

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a heavily eroded rock. Spanish mine? To determine that I need to know where you are. If "in the east", I doubt it...
Well, Austin, you are missing a lot of other info from this site. I am only showing one out of numerous carved rocks in the area, plus I am showing you none of the iron artifacts.
OK, so lets explore your comment about Spanish mining activity being doubtful on the east coast a bit. Who was on the east coast doing mining in the late 1700s to very early 1800s that would have left rock carvings and Spanish death traps symbols?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry- I am sure you are correct in assuming that many people have chased their imagination. Had it not been for the other numerous pieces of evidence at this location, of which you are completely unaware, I would probably just pass up a single rock. Why not ask if there is other evidence rather than conjecturing? It sounds like your mind is already made up regardless, so why bother taking up your own valuable time to post on threads where folks are asking for opinions on their "treasure" rocks if you are 100% convinced that there is no such thing?

Don't want to crush anyone's dreams but the OP did ask for our "opinions." I am harsh, no doubt about it. There is a reason though. I have seen too many people waste too much time and money chasing their imagination. If that is what you want to do - God Bless, but don't ask me for my opinion unless you want to hear it. If you want to disagree with me and continue on down the road in your fantasy world, whether chasing "treasure marking rocks," or the Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine, then good on ya! :skullflag:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
From the photo it appears that the rock is on a hill.

You can't discount the possibility that it has rolled from it's original placed position. You might be looking at the upside-down back side of the rock with the real clue inverted on the back.

The only way to be sure to to document it in place, then move it out and inspect it from all possible angles.

And while you are doing that, I'd suggest that you emplace a straight stick into the hole and see where it points.

You may have to move the rock (and the pointer) around to ascertain where it's original position would have been, where the pointing stick direction would make sense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the photo it appears that the rock is on a hill.

You can't discount the possibility that it has rolled from it's original placed position. You might be looking at the upside-down back side of the rock with the real clue inverted on the back.

The only way to be sure to to document it in place, then move it out and inspect it from all possible angles.

And while you are doing that, I'd suggest that you emplace a straight stick into the hole and see where it points.

You may have to move the rock (and the pointer) around to ascertain where it's original position would have been, where the pointing stick direction would make sense.
You make some excellent points, GIB.. I do tend to think it has not rolled, but I could be wrong. Also, your comment regarding putting a stick into the drill hole had not occured to me, most likely because I thought my original interpretation was correct. Now I don't think it is. Thank you for contributing to the thread.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Please send photos of the other side and with the moss cleared off. You may be missing an important clue.

What's in the surrounding area? Maybe put a laser pointer in the hole?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread