KenRobertson

Greenie
Nov 24, 2016
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Whites, and two box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I located several of these rocks on family land, which is near several Spanish gold mines, where ore was removed. The pictures are from the rock with the most legible markings. It looks as though the five rocks may have been one large one many years ago. Not sure if it's related to the Spanish and old west treasure history of the area, but wanted to see if anyone had ever seen anything like this before. Any help or serious opinions would be greatly appreciated. This is in north central texas near the Red River. KIMG0357.jpg KIMG0358.jpg KIMG0360.jpg

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ken, welcome to tnet. There is a lot of knowledge on this site and I'm sure that you will have some relies from people who know about this. You might also want to try goggling books on treasure signs, markings etc. I think that I would be excited f I saw something like this in an area of known mines. Good luck!

OP
OP
K

KenRobertson

Greenie
Nov 24, 2016
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Shooter. Google and drawings of Spanish symbols have not given me any further insight. I have had the above rock at home for several months but no luck deciphering. I thought I would try you guys. The shadowing of the characters shows vertical lines and forward slashes as being prominent. If someone had seen something similar, I hoped this would immediately jump out at them.

tinhorn

Jul 28, 2011
There are lots of things it could be... but being removed from its intended spot will make it even harder to decipher. It reminds me most of a trail marker.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ken, that is a big stone. Why did you move it? It represents someplace close to where you found it. More than likely from the way it looks. The place has two buffs that surround a valley. That my opinion. From what I see. Your picture is.to close for a good look at the details. I noticed that you have other ones under and to the side.. show more if you want a good response. Welcome to Treasure Net. There is a lot of help here if you have patience.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

bjgiff

Jul 29, 2010
Here's something along the same lines on a smaller scale. It is in the Black Hills of WY on the "ceiling" of a very small cavern. IMG_0204.JPG

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I'm talking about. It looks better turned side ways. I would be looking all around that area.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mannings

Feb 4, 2006
Because the rock appears to be weather-worn and having had long term exposure to air on "top" and "sides" while the area with the markings appears to have been not exposed (in or on the ground), my guess is the following;

The rock was used, in part, to conceal the entrance of a mine (or cave) and the "markings" were made by mining implements (think large star drills) to lift/leverage the rock into/out of place.

The markings resemble what it may look like to force a large star drill underneath a rock to move it elsewhere.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tinhorn

Jul 28, 2011
and they do look more like drill marks as opposed to hash marks which was my initial thought...

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ken; Curious: Are you sure the Spanish got ALL the gold from those mines ?? Also, They had to have a Storage Vault nearby to hold the ore they dug before it was transported elsewhere. Worth the checking. Let us know. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
K

KenRobertson

Greenie
Nov 24, 2016
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They were moved before to clear a 1/2 acre field before I saw them but they are definitely in the same original general area. Moving the one is not an issue. I'll have to inspect the others closer. The markings on those are fewer and much more distorted.

OP
OP
K

KenRobertson

Greenie
Nov 24, 2016
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In the mine I've been in, they did get vein. There is a huge pile of heavy crystal next to the shaft.

OP
OP
K

KenRobertson

Greenie
Nov 24, 2016
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Drill holes looks to be correct. I would have never thought about that. 10 yards behind the rocks is a depression in the ground where water seeps out. It would be a vertical shaft. All of the mines in this area are vertical also.
Thanks to everyone for the replies and information.

OP
OP
K

KenRobertson

Greenie
Nov 24, 2016
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a larger rock about 300 yards away with the same markings. I'll get photos of it this weekend.

Sibmom

Greenie
Jul 31, 2008
A spanish ladder- it tells the depth you have to go down a mine or a ? Each rung is a verra.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread