Worn down stones...

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been wondering about this stone for a while now... but I just got the chance to get out there and take a pic of it a couple days ago. I just wanted to see if anything thought it to be anything other than a natural occurrence. It definitely didn't look normal to me... but if you would, give me some thoughts on it...

Bran <><

DSCF6262.JPG

DSCF6263.JPG

DSCF6264.JPG

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, I wouldn't have figured it would be water erosion as the stones are by them selves around a couple trees... no other rocks or formations anywhere in the vicinity, and nothing for the water to drip onto and down the rocks to erode them? Idunno, I just didn't figure that as a possibility? *shrugs* Hmm...

Bran <><

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These things don't erode overnight :) Who knows what used to be there, or whatever. All it would take is a previously "flat" surface, and for a little dimple to form in the top. Over a few hundred years or so it would erode into what you see now. I see these things all the time.

About other rocks in the area, what's this?

Attachments

• Rock.jpg
    Rock.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 660
OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I meant no other rocks outside of that one, the one next to it and one across from it. It's almost like the one across from it split because it's kinda worn also. I wrote that last one quickly and didn't read it, my fault.

Bran <><

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Brandon,

Where is the stone in relation to the trail and other stones of the same magnitude?

The Stone itself has been eroded by water I'm sure of that. But it may have been moved into the position it now occupies by someone as a curiosity or as a monument to mark something. I can show you a whole canyon worn out like this.

As it looks this stone was moved into place, the worn side is in a strange attitude to be a natural position.

Thom

seekeroforo

Jan 21, 2010
Over the rainbow
Detector(s) used
Logic, prayer, hope, and instinct
Ah, finally something I can share some definative input on!

This my friend is what you call a "pothole". They are formed in a river where circulating water carries a stone (or a few) into a depression in the rock or riverbed and through constant swirling action grinds down the walls of the hole.

I lived in Minnesota most of my life and have some AWESOME examples in Stillwater, MN. They are anywhere from several inches in diameter to several yards! The biggest one was excavated back in the thirties or forties to a depth of sixty feet and they still didn't hit the bottom.

However, I must heed O.D.'s advice on this one, natural? You bet! In an un-natural location? That is up to you to figure out.

Good luck to you and HH!

~Seeker~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread