How Old Is That?

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, we've discussed the incident several times. The most interesting thing to me was that the bird had been seen before in the area - many decades earlier. I guess I don't have much to add. Here's a couple photos from the canyon where we were when we saw the thing. The first is looking easterly, probably 30 minutes before the sighting. The second is the photo I took right at the time of the sighting - the bird was behind me. I had noticed the engraved '+' on the rock.

View attachment 1559606

View attachment 1559607

This is all so intriguing Steve. The local stories and the local accounts from reliable people and it still remained unknown at large, from fear of ridicule?...perhaps. Had it been some newspaper guy or TV station, looking for ratings….things might have been different.
But, you have been an eye witness before all the lore had been even mentioned, locally.
The only thing I may hold against you, (but All of it in good vibes) is the fact that you have just added to my Bucket List, something that may have to replace other promises made to oneself. One -already overflowing- old bucket and as you know, Time itself is at a premium. But I can only thank you.
On your last two pictures…(and we don’t have to agree 100%), or at all, but I see a wealth of manmade “stuff”. Would you agree of human activity in the area, sometime in the past? Or maybe something else caught your attention on that beautiful landscape? And, of course we can leave it to that…
The “Bird” sighting and the general view of the landscape seems like a wonderful time and very well spent. Who could ask for more?

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah , time gets away from all of us. I gotta slow it down somehow myself. It keeps getting away from me, you go day by day , and suddenly it's next week, and then it's next month and then you say , well next year this time of year I'm going to ....

That second picture with the large perched boulder out front and the pyramid thing sticking up from the ridgeline above, that's a storage area canyon. We look for that type of stuff all the time.

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah , time gets away from all of us. I gotta slow it down somehow myself. It keeps getting away from me, you go day by day , and suddenly it's next week, and then it's next month and then you say , well next year this time of year I'm going to ....

That second picture with the large perched boulder out front and the pyramid thing sticking up from the ridgeline above, that's a storage area canyon. We look for that type of stuff all the time.

....and now we have the coordinates. The race is on.... (you.....you had to....) I'm already dressed, car keys in hand. lol
Meet you there Q.? I'll be wearing camo.... You?

Lol., but true. good eye Q.

(I'll bring the beer,...)

Last edited:

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, well , you know me, always looking at my options. How about I bring the beer and the coordinates? I like camo, but sometimes I wish I had a small army to help.
View attachment 1559803

Last edited:

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Ha,...good. good. As long as you bring the beer. Is that a ghost in camo?
We can do 50/50. I'll take the beer only. Ghost-in-camo, coordinates and all the rest of the proceeds, ....all yours.

No more gloom. Think pink.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It's no ghost, open it up in a bigger window. I really shouldn't even post it. Kind of a bad joke.

You know, people in this world always use the expression "I got bigger things to worry about". In this case, that thing is about 200 feet across and about 50 or so feet tall at it's narrowest point. I captured it during a predicted high solar activity day when a solar flare went off approximately the same time the photo was taken. Notice the background within the side parts of the "glow". After I went home I calculated the timing of the flare with my cameras and that's when this thing was there.

So I decided "I have bigger things to worry about" as well. I choose to walk away from these . My bigger things are being around to see my kids grow up. There's always better places that a couple guys can work.

OP
OP
sdcfia

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
... I see a wealth of manmade “stuff”. Would you agree of human activity in the area, sometime in the past? Or maybe something else caught your attention on that beautiful landscape? And, of course we can leave it to that …

Re-read the last blue paragraph in Post#58. The Cookes Range is unquestionably a premier NM destination for folks with insatiable curiosities. I'd have spent more time there if my own closer surroundings weren't so compelling on their own merits. Besides, those lower desert ranges are winter-only, due to the heat and snakes.

OP
OP
sdcfia

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It's no ghost, open it up in a bigger window. I really shouldn't even post it. Kind of a bad joke.

You know, people in this world always use the expression "I got bigger things to worry about". In this case, that thing is about 200 feet across and about 50 or so feet tall at it's narrowest point. I captured it during a predicted high solar activity day when a solar flare went off approximately the same time the photo was taken. Notice the background within the side parts of the "glow". After I went home I calculated the timing of the flare with my cameras and that's when this thing was there.

So I decided "I have bigger things to worry about" as well. I choose to walk away from these . My bigger things are being around to see my kids grow up. There's always better places that a couple guys can work.

Expect to see more charged particle luminance as the Grand Solar Minimum period intensifies. The Northern Lights are beginning to increase their spectacular displays, but more random occurrences such as yours are becoming more common too. Your digital camera "aura captures" ought to reveal many of them, depending upon the sun's cycles. Back in the day, a similar display of charged atmosphere created "St Elmo's Fire" in ships' rigging - a perfect medium for static charges to luminesce. The sailors thought it was a sign from heaven that they would be protected from storms. That didn't always end well.

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other

Q. I caught that from the beginning, and I turned it into a joke,...because it wasn't my "thing" to disclose. I could have also said that you may need ...instead of an "army" of people (which is not reliable), a mechanized unit ....aka heavy equip.
My jokes are not always senseless, but a dry attempt for a heads up. Sorry if you took it the wrong way, as I thought you'll get my drift of not being able to spell that "out-loud". No pun was intended then, or presently. But I feel your pain if you turn that table. Cheers.

(when you, jokingly offered to bring both coordinates and the beer, It has clicked instantly.)
(...and of course...as per joke...the G-in-camo are all yours, ...such as YOUR merit) No Bull here.

Last edited:

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other

Also, the think pink stuff, was hinting to the old timer's Kieselgur as they used to dye it for easy identification when stabilizing boom-boom.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth
One thing they could not let happen to it....let it sweat in desert heat. So,...they had a dust bucket handy

of course they use different compounds nowadays, but based on your previous description of the mining processes, I thought you'll get the
joke and the hint. Again, I regret the confusion.

(p.s. I heard the old guys talking about the old days and the bucket of pink, many times. That "other name"
wasn't easy for them to use, which of course caught my attention in the spirit of the day)

Last edited:

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Re-read the last blue paragraph in Post#58. The Cookes Range is unquestionably a premier NM destination for folks with insatiable curiosities. I'd have spent more time there if my own closer surroundings weren't so compelling on their own merits. Besides, those lower desert ranges are winter-only, due to the heat and snakes.

Heat and snakes, sound all too familiar, though I could never find much attraction to either.
Have you..for the sake of curiosity....try to look at your last boulder ...reversed, or upside-down? That, again may be a familiar shape/sign.
It may look like the one up hill, as format.

(I think that some benevolent weekender in the area might have turned that boulder from it's original position,...just for kicks. Not to say it
must of been easy to do. But when you're real motivated....and have some powerful monster truck....and maybe a few brewskies in the heat
of the day....? eh-hee)

OP
OP
sdcfia

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Heat and snakes, sound all too familiar, though I could never find much attraction to either.
Have you..for the sake of curiosity....try to look at your last boulder ...reversed, or upside-down? That, again may be a familiar shape/sign.
It may look like the one up hill, as format.

(I think that some benevolent weekender in the area might have turned that boulder from it's original position,...just for kicks. Not to say it
must of been easy to do. But when you're real motivated....and have some powerful monster truck....and maybe a few brewskies in the heat
of the day....? eh-hee)

As I recall, there was no vehicular access into that canyon (well, a Rokon might make it). That engraved boulder must have weighed about 500 pounds, but a couple strong and smart guys could probably horse it up onto that bedrock.

I didn't put any further thought into that particular carving, although somebody certainly did it for a purpose. There are a lot more compelling fish to fry in the Cookes Range, and if the place had been more accessible, I would have liked to have spent more time in there. Even so, I did spend a lot of time in those hills over the years, and my list of targets is still extensive (but, frankly, waning) - including a spot that a well-known former controversial poster on this website suggested to me several years ago.

So many places to go. But, as I said earlier, I'm having a great time lately searching for old carved stones at mining claim corners. Here's one we found yesterday - highlighted with a wax marker. The left hand carving was made in 1879, the right hand carving was added in 1889, along with a 4x4 when a second claim abutted the first.

Globe Democrat Corner 3.JPG

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
As I recall, there was no vehicular access into that canyon (well, a Rokon might make it). That engraved boulder must have weighed about 500 pounds, but a couple strong and smart guys could probably horse it up onto that bedrock.

I didn't put any further thought into that particular carving, although somebody certainly did it for a purpose. There are a lot more compelling fish to fry in the Cookes Range, and if the place had been more accessible, I would have liked to have spent more time in there. Even so, I did spend a lot of time in those hills over the years, and my list of targets is still extensive (but, frankly, waning) - including a spot that a well-known former controversial poster on this website suggested to me several years ago.

So many places to go. But, as I said earlier, I'm having a great time lately searching for old carved stones at mining claim corners. Here's one we found yesterday - highlighted with a wax marker. The left hand carving was made in 1879, the right hand carving was added in 1889, along with a 4x4 when a second claim abutted the first.

View attachment 1560272

Steve, we're not as much apart in our school of thought, as I have originally been afraid of. It seems that it's more like a "target of opportunity" issue. I, at least, can see common language/thought pattern.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Q. I caught that from the beginning, and I turned it into a joke,...because it wasn't my "thing" to disclose. I could have also said that you may need ...instead of an "army" of people (which is not reliable), a mechanized unit ....aka heavy equip.
My jokes are not always senseless, but a dry attempt for a heads up. Sorry if you took it the wrong way, as I thought you'll get my drift of not being able to spell that "out-loud". No pun was intended then, or presently. But I feel your pain if you turn that table. Cheers.

(when you, jokingly offered to bring both coordinates and the beer, It has clicked instantly.)
(...and of course...as per joke...the G-in-camo are all yours, ...such as YOUR merit) No Bull here.

You're fine Maverick , I was saying my kidding around was kind of a bad joke.
I removed that ugly picture I posted, haha.

OP
OP
sdcfia

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's another old beauty, carved by the master, Ricard L. Powel, March 27, 1889. No, it's not Masonic pyramid numerology, it's corner 4 of the Globe Democrat Lode mining claim, mineral survey no. 787. That big dashed line on the aerial is the major gold-producing trend in the area - the Pacific group. George Hearst (father of William Randolph Hearst) owned most of it. That major road below is the old narrow gauge railroad grade (now Radio Tower Road).

Nice work, Ricard - more fun to find than alcaps.

Globe Democrat Corner 4.JPG

PA.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
sdcfia

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice tetrahedron pyramid. Don't see many of those.

Those surveyors sought rocks that were hard and had flat surfaces to carve on, plus had a distinctive shape (if one could be found) that was easy to spot. They also frequently built a mound of stones nearby (knee-high) to help mark the spot. The same surveyor carved the stone shown in Post #72. It's also pyramidal in shape, but not as nice as the one in Post #76.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol , I 've seen surveyors use other peoples markers before, they liked using some of the shapes that marked out the old sites because they stand out and are recognizable. They just didn't know what they were originally, because of lack of further knowledge. The mining sites have always had a few that they repositioned or used for corner markers. I've seen them as well even in the region my own claims are. Some appear masonic, whether the surveyor was a mason or not would be difficult to say for sure. There are many freemason surveyors, quite a few that are high up in the lodges, you can find that by searching around, it's no secret.

I've seen obelisks used a few times as well for property boundaries some even dated in the late 1800's. Doesn't mean that was the origin of the marker.

OP
OP
sdcfia

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol , I 've seen surveyors use other peoples markers before, they liked using some of the shapes that marked out the old sites because they stand out and are recognizable. They just didn't know what they were originally, because of lack of further knowledge. The mining sites have always had a few that they repositioned or used for corner markers. I've seen them as well even in the region my own claims are. Some appear masonic, whether the surveyor was a mason or not would be difficult to say for sure. There are many freemason surveyors, quite a few that are high up in the lodges, you can find that by searching around, it's no secret.

I've seen obelisks used a few times as well for property boundaries some even dated in the late 1800's. Doesn't mean that was the origin of the marker.

I'd like to see photos of some of those "other peoples" markers that the surveyors were ignorant of (and why those others' markers happened to be found at corners of 1500'x600', more or less, mining claims).

Your theories are of course not totally impossible, I guess, but it's tough to fantasize what you're saying without something to look at. Reminds me of the guy here who bought a piece of property some years back because he found a carved stone there one day and was sure it was a "treasure marker". It was just an old property corner. At least he believed in his idea enough to dig a large number of holes to check it out. Have you made any effort to validate your ancient mine theories?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread