OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
I would love to find something chiseled, but most of our stuff is above 7,000 feet and is in trees. There are some really neat chiseled items within an hour of my home, but they are well known. I love this new area because even locals don't have a clue the spanish were up there for all those years, and I am not going to clue them in. Getting there was a hairy experience in the suburban in 4wd, another reason it isn't well explored.

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
Something else I recall about elevation; It's been years since I bought my last Topo Map and with Terra Server USA available to us, printing them is a breeze. One might cross reference the elevation at hand, and then look on Topos of neighboring mountains for the little Forestry symbols that mark off abandoned mines from way back when. Chances are you may find a matching elevation slope to slope to compare, and hit on the the big mama again and again. Also, based on what I've seen in some of the Primitive Area of the Uintas, there is a good chance that the richer dig up high, will be a hydrothermal vent and a steep one at that. Please to watch out for the occasional huge madass mountain lion. Twisted

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Yessir,
There are some really big ones up there,
the older and worn out types of this animal will try for a man.
Still, not something to mess with.
Keep a backup handy.

Thom

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
utah hunter said:
Springfield said:
Have you guys used an increment borer to determine the ages of these carved trees?

I haven't, but thanks to people carving their initials in them with dates going back 50 years it gives a perfect timeline of how old the trees are by how the markings deepen over time. With the elevation being over 10,000 feet the trees grow slower than they would at a lower elevation. I have learned that the circles with a line in the middle were used by the spanish, and the forest service copied their use directly from the spanish to mark their trails. That explains why there were some newer and some older

This is all speculative. Bore the tree and you'll know for sure (if you want to, that is).

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
Hey Ryan........

That twin set of oldies the double went off on; expect colors at 3'.
Twisted :o

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
Twisted Fork said:
Hey Ryan........

That twin set of oldies the double went off on; expect colors at 3'.
Twisted :o

I will expect colors, just have to take 2 sons to dig while I sit under the tree sipping my cherry coke.

pandsagain

Nov 4, 2009
I am also in need of some advice on symbols I have found. Any input would be appreciated. :hello2:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 510

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread