Spanish DRILL HOLES, What Do They Mean ?

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Going thru all these threads just to find out what these drill holes mean is a lifetime of research, hee,hee. I just want to know the various explanations of them. I found 7 drill holes in one rock boulder and one Rectangular Oddity Hole, see pic's 101_5117.JPG 101_5118.JPG 101_5119.JPG 101_5120.JPG 101_5121.JPG 101_5122.JPG 101_5123.JPG 101_5124.JPG

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
~: Ancient Sacred Spirit Lands Of Our Fathers' :~
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
Going thru all these threads just to find out what these drill holes mean is a lifetime of research, hee,hee. I just want to know the various explanations of them. I found 7 drill holes in one rock boulder and one Rectangular Oddity Hole, see pic's

Happy Trails55,
Great thread subject, wishin' you all the best of luck...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Happy I have came across this type of holes and they were created by a high powered rifle maybe a hunter doing target practice just a thought.I would take an run a metal detector around them just to verify there is no lead.

Last edited:

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Most the divots I have seen just verify the boulder was being used as a marker.

OP
OP
H

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
I'm always happy to hear input from everybody but I think I can dispel or disregard the High Powered Rifle Theory. These rock boulders that weigh from 2,000 pounds on up to 5 or even more pounds are conglomerate sandstone. If you take a stick and put it in the holes the trajectory of where the stick points to is in the sky, far above the surrounding mountain landscape, which would mean that anyone shooting the boulder would have to be like in a Helicopter. Any other lower angle would just Ricochet right off of the rock. Also, what Caliber of a Bullet would do this ? When you add in that there is Rock LICHEN partially covering some of the holes (as well as the rest of the rock), rock lichen grows very slowly and is of considerable age. And then there is the Rectangular Hole ! What kind of Rifle made this ? How come this boulder is the only one out of the long row of boulders that has these Holes ? It has 7 Holes and One Rectangular Hole. The Numerical Number 7 was used by the Spanish for the meaning of Gold. Getting back to the Rifle Theory, How come each Hole is the exact same size and depth (2 inches, all of them) ? I have seen this type of Rock lichen in other areas in this country from the old tailings from only the old Spanish/Mexican era, which is circa 1750 to 1848. So what kind of High Powered Rifle did they have back in those days? I think I'm going go with Quinoa's input for now. But if anybody has seen holes like these made by a High Powered Rifle, please tell me what Caliber can do this, like a .375 H&H er a .458 Weatherby.???? I have a .444 Marlin Lever Action (Big Bore) but I ain't stupid enough or brave enough to test it out on these boulders, hee,hee, or my old 1861 Springfield .58.....But let me digress a bit here, the pattern of the holes is also curious enough to only speculate that it very well could be a map of sorts. Many Thanks !

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If these holes are man made then it was most likely to split the rock I would think. kinda looks to me like they were starting to cut a block. The one square hole could be maybe the placement of the first wedge, maybe thats where it went wrong and they chose not to continue?

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok will we can rule out impact holes from a firearm I could not tell the angle they were in the rock it must be a Spanish treasure map good luck with your quest.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually take back what i said, looking closer at photo they are no where near deep enough for cutting rock

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Happy I have came across this type of holes and they were created by a high powered rifle maybe a hunter doing target practice just a thought.I would take an run a metal detector around them just to verify there is no lead.

And later: Ok will we can rule out impact holes from a firearm I could not tell the angle they were in the rock it must be a Spanish treasure map good luck with your quest.

You were absolutely correct with your first post cyzak, IMO. Look closely at these shallow holes. They are impact craters in a relatively soft and brittle rock, likely caused by rifle bullets. Notice the scaling around their centers? The impact simply shattered the surrounding rock and left a deeper impression in the middle. You mentioned you've seen similar holes. So have I. You're also correct that flattened lead may be found around the site.
101_5118-1.JPG

I've hand-drilled lots of holes in rock using hand steel and a three-pound hammer. The holes are clean, round, uniform and smooth, both on the surface and continuing to depth. They have to be, otherwise the steel will bind in the hole. Here's an interesting example found a couple hundred yards from where the Kensington Rune Stone was dug up in MN. Nice clean work. If the hole is deep enough, a guy could insert a rod or dowel and create a nice pointer. Then he could follow the pointer and see what he might find in that direction.
P7180950.jpg

Mark60

Oct 22, 2015
S/W MO
Detector(s) used
an old radio shack model
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMO I would have to go with rifle theory, with out more to go on I've seen bullet markings like that before in rock, caliber could vary depending on distance anywhere from 300 magnum to 45-70 govt as far as the elongated marking kinda clueless

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Bullet holes? P1010374 drill hole.jpg 20160707_130124.jpg

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
More? P1010382 top of lobe rock to red heart.jpg P1010384.jpg who put the beer can there near that heart? Maybe I did, I don't remember, It was laying close by though ,Odd. This is in line with that first pic from the previous post. The line goes thru a set of heart lobes down to to it. More odd.

Last edited:

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• P1010387 - drill hole rock to red heart circled.jpg
    P1010387 - drill hole rock to red heart circled.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Upham

Feb 27, 2019
North Attleboro, MA
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, AT Max & ATX (new)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this, I saw it from a long ways off, like 75 yards in thick woods. The hole is 3” dia. and about 3” deep with lines radiating from the hole. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1551710886.527250.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1551710976.088118.jpg

Always wondered what it was.

Last edited:

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If it looks like vegetation has been manipulated to keep a clear sight window to it, then it's definitely an eye catcher. The lines may be compass bearings, such as 45 or 30, 150, 300, 330, and 270 to take from it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be doing some serious scouting for treasure

Upham

Feb 27, 2019
North Attleboro, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up above is a big flat rock with a huge round boulder on top. The area is very interesting the problem is a major MA highway goes right thru the middle of it. I'm going to do some more exploring of the area this year.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill tell ya even if you didnt find treasure that would be aloooooot of fun just knowing they were there Im sure they left some cool relics behind. Good luck Mt Friend Tommy

Upham

Feb 27, 2019
North Attleboro, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more I think of it the more landmarks I know of out in the woods . I'm going to have to put them in my GPS and see what I come up with. This is kind of exciting.
Up

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread