Why would the Spanish build Death Traps ?

ghostdog

Apr 22, 2007
I"m not being a nay-sayer here, but unless their is a back door entrance , then how would they expect to get back in themselves. I mean once the trap is tripped, the only way to clear the entrance for the returning crew,would be the use of explosives and hands on labor. Why not just use a type of natural camafloge. I am not a know it all,and I have seen plenty of differant types of rock formations,that I can"t I.D.,or say for sure they are man made or natural weather formed images. The facial images are more than not man made,however it is hard to say who made them, and why,and they could definitly pre-date the Spanish.
I think the retiveal of work tools could help identify more of the image"s history. Thom have you found any work tools you care to comment on? Thom , please be aware I am not attacking you or your posts, just looking for more answers... :thumbsup:..and moe coffee :coffee2:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Well I am certainly no expert but my thought would be since they built the trap they would understand the mechanism of it and be able to disarm it instead of tripping it therefore it would not be a trap to them. Kinda like if you sat a bucket of water on top of a partially opened door so that it would spill on someone opening the door, you would not get wet because you knew the bucket was there and removed it before opening the door. Just my humble opinion. I am sure Thom would be far more able to answer your questions and probably will. Have a great day! :icon_sunny:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Perhaps a better question would be, "If so many death traps have been located, why haven't they each been sprung, then worked around to recover what they were protecting?"

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Have you ever cleared a rockfall? 50 men can do it with a lot of work. 1 or 2 men on a major fall is the sound of one hand clapping. You don't call for what you don't want to come.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
The reason for a death trap in the first place,
was to prevent folks like you and me from taking what was left behind.

Each trap I have found was specific to the builder,
I have seen many that were disabled and the treasure recovered,...
supposedly by the ones who built the trap and came back to get it.
Studying these old traps gives a lot of insight as to how to disarm one.
Usually a very simple solution is called for.
One in particular was a huge stone of many tons left propped up in the desert by a single Pinion stump.
The depression under the rock told the whole story.
the rest of the trap had been rolled out of the way.
The large stone was left propped up as a beacon to let all know of the recovery.

Thom

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
truckinbutch said:
Have you ever cleared a rockfall? 50 men can do it with a lot of work. 1 or 2 men on a major fall is the sound of one hand clapping. You don't call for what you don't want to come.

I've moved more rock and dirt than you would believe. It takes motivation, ingenuity, tenacity and patience. If I knew for sure there was a cache underneath ('death trap' protecting it), I'd do it again. Your arguement is similar to "Yeah, I know where they buried a jar of coins, but I never took a shovel to the place" - heard that one? My arguement is that if the 'death trap' is real, then the finder will work around it, not walk away from it.

OP
OP
G

ghostdog

Apr 22, 2007
;D - Hi all, I appreciate the replys, and education, I guess when I see large bolders on top of each other,and others supporting the larger rocks,like a trip stone, I could could not imagine the Spanish,or other groups going to all that trouble to hide their treasures,knowing what they have to go through to retrieve it at a latter date. Even a older dog like myself,{can collect soc.sec.in 2 years}, can learn new ways to retrive lost and forgotten treasure.....Thanks, HH

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
ghostdog said:
.... I could could not imagine the Spanish,or other groups going to all that trouble to hide their treasures, knowing what they have to go through to retrieve it at a latter date. ...

Bingo. You don't draw attention to your stash. You leave your stash with no sign of human activity nearby. You want searchers to eat their lunch right on top of it and move on. You don't erect a sign that says, "Death Trap. Treasure below". This is my opinion only, others' may vary.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Springfield,#5:
I'll believe what ever you want to tell me about the rock and dirt you have moved in your lifetime.I understand hard work.
I started handloading in a "pony"mine in 1962 and came out the pitmouth to free air the last time in the spring of 1990 with all my digits and part of my lungs intact.Being unprepared or afraid to dig aren't part of my life.
Tripping rock falls to no reason is foolish.If you want to get through or under then work it smart.If you don't want want to get on the other side then leave the sombich alone.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
truckinbutch said:
... I started handloading in a "pony"mine in 1962 and came out the pitmouth to free air the last time in the spring of 1990 with all my digits and part of my lungs intact....

You definitely beat the odds and came out ahead of the game.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Yup.I visit too many of my friends markers on Decoration Day.
I meant no harm on my first post.We are on the same channel.Experience is why I said don't trip traps.

rangler

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2004
The Land Of The Free Because Of The Brave!
Detector(s) used
for solutions to the jesuit code -email pics to: [email protected]

;[email protected] locations needed! oro bro!
Primary Interest:
Other
but unless their is a back door entrance ,

yep your thinking right bout the back door Ghostdog..it was usually overhead
and it is called a "Pozo"- used as a fresh air vent, while the mine was worked
Once it was turned into cache place , the front door was death trapped, then the
pozo was covered with a large 5 or 6 man boulder...that the Priest could use take
or add to the stash.

seigh09

Jul 3, 2008
how about this??..joke!!!...

woO...

Attachments

• ll.jpg
    ll.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 415

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread