jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LANCASTER, Pa. -- Lancaster state police are looking for a woman who used rare and unusual coins to pay for cigarettes at a Turkey Hill.

The woman used a 1964 silver half-dollar, a silver dime, four mercury dimes, three Indian head nickels, three other rare nickels, a wheat penny and three silver foreign coins, troopers said.

The coins were used at the Turkey Hill on Route 41 and Strasburg Road two weeks ago.

http://www.wgal.com/news/17856795/detail.html

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mcgearhead said:
I am curious as to why they are looking for her ? what did she do wrong ?

Been thinking the same thing.

whether they are just being nice & Figure she was desperate &
would like them Back.

Or she gave them as collateral ? & they aren't worth a pack of cigs ?
(Silver alone is over $7.00 rest is pretty much worthless to dealers.
cigs run between $3.50 & $5 I think))

or If They think she stole them & want to Investigate her,

Or because some were Foreign they want to arrest her ?

Very odd in my opinion also.

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like Pa. is a police state! Can't even spend your own money there.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
jeff of pa said:
mcgearhead said:
I am curious as to why they are looking for her ? what did she do wrong ?

Been thinking the same thing.

whether they are just being nice & Figure she was desperate &
would like them Back.

Or she gave them as collateral ? & they aren't worth a pack of cigs ?
(Silver alone is over $7.00 rest is pretty much worthless to dealers.
cigs run between $3.50 & $5 I think))

or If They think she stole them & want to Investigate her,

Or because some were Foreign they want to arrest her ?

Very odd in my opinion also.

My guess is they received a report of stolen coins/coin collection , had she used foreign coins
for her purchase and the clerk accepted them, its the clerks issue (think Canadian).

It would have to be a rather large collection that was stolen before they would post such an article ,
a coffee can half full of grandpa`s coins wouldnt cause much fuss to the police if stolen but if grandpa
was a huge collector or was in the habit of hoarding coins since he was knee-high to a grass hopper, that would certainly garner attention.(imho)

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
They want to ask her about them, in case they were stolen:

"It's not a crime to present old coins to buy something at a store, but we would be interested to know if in fact the coins came from a theft or burglary or simply owned by an individual who wanted to get rid of them," said Cpl. John Duby of the Pennsylvania State Police.

Gee...it is bad enough I have to worry about the US becoming a Fascist Police State, but now I know Pennsylvania already is lol. Guess I know where I am NOT ever going to live. ;D

GOLDandSilver

Nov 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Ya'll beat me to it...

but since when are any of the coins listed actually considered rare???? Most of us have a bunch of them just laying around!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOLDandSilver said:
Ya'll beat me to it...

but since when are any of the coins listed actually considered rare???? Most of us have a bunch of them just laying around!

Only rare in your Change & to be spent.

Not sure if that's what they meant though.

Thanks to Home shopping & Other scam
coin Sales,

Most police & Others who don't collect
think they all are worth a fortune.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shows just how Bright PA State Police are :wink:

I'd be embarrassed to even question coins like that.

the Store should have sold the Silver to get their money back.

They will probably eventually get them valued & Find out
the rest won't bring more then Double Face Value If they are lucky

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Whats the big deal? I used to drive a Taxi for a lady who had a man pay her a $21.00 fare with 21 Morgan Silver Dollars! She sold them to me 1 at a time for about 20 bucks a peice, a year or so ago when silver went up to 18-20 or so an OZ.
He told her he had gotten them from under a car seat at a car crushing business he worked at. I remember thinking they were way to "clean" to have come from there.
At any rate they are long gone from my hands to some lucky Ebayer.......helped buy my Tesoro Deleon.

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
Here's what happened

Back around 1984 my then-wife worked the night shift at a donut shop in Tustin,Ca. One night a woman entered,bought coffee and donuts,paid with a pocket full of rare coins. My wife told me about this so I told her to bring some of those coins home,substituting the cash equivolent in the cash register. This she did and I was floored at what she brought home. Within a week she had brought home thousands of dollars worth of rare coins. Turned out the woman had been told by her hubby he wanted a divorce. While the couple still lived together in the same house,wifie decided to take revenge upon hubby by stealing his million dollar rare coin collection and using them to buy junk food. I laughed myself silly till my wife divorced me. I asked her about the fortune in rare coins she had collected. She replied "What coins?". I hav'nt been married since then. Too dangerous.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Marbleguy, what are some of the coins that were spent/ acquired? Thats pretty cool, but I feel for the poor guy as I am a collector and I wouldnt be to happy if my wife did something like that!!! lol Cheers, Shane ;D

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
It's been so long..

A lot of water has gone under the bridge since 1984. But I do recall I took notice of the pre-1964 silver coins my ex-wife brought home. The woman kept returning to the donut shop every night for months. And each night my ex-wife brought home the coins. Not having Internet access back then I researched the coins best I could by going to the local library and taking a few coins to coin shops. None of the coins were pennies or nickles. All were silver dimes,quarters,half dollars or dollars pre-64 back to the 1880s. During this time I was going over the old Irvine Lake in Irvine Park,Orange County,Ca w/ a cheap metal detector. The tiny lake had been around a long time. My grandfather J.K. Hermon born in Brokenbow,Nebraska in 1870 used to take ladyfriends on wooden rowboats out on the approx. 200 yard width lake during the early 1900s. In 1984 the pond was drained. I was there the next day. Found pounds of silver coins and jewelry. Seems the oldsters got merry while rowing. Alcohol was involved. The rowboats tipped over,contents of pockets fell out. I found pounds of silver coins. My ex-wife took those,too.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand why the Police would be looking for her.
She may be ill, dementia
obviously she is using collected coins for purchases being unaware they are valuable
I applaud the person that contacted the police
Its happened in my family
Brady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions