Buried treasure found in Galveston during Ike cleanup

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Buried 'treasure' found in Galveston during Ike cleanup

A contractor helping clear debris from Hurricane Ike is looking for the owner of an ammunition box he found buried in sand that contained keepsakes, including an 1863 Confederate $50 bill, war medals and diamond earrings.

more:
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/hurricanes/2009-01-22-ike-treasure-box_N.htm

Found a bit more.
Buried Galveston treasure may belong to inmate:
"A pair of diamond rings, bracelets, a $50 Confederate bill
from 1863 and several silver certificate $1, $2 and $5 bills
with consecutive serial numbers were in the box. There
was a football card picturing 1950s Hall of Famer Art
Donovan and a Model A radiator cap with a thermometer
built into it."

“It was so crammed full of stuff that you have to put it back just right or it won’t all fit,” Pate said.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6223535.html

all have a good un....
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Buried 'treasure' found in Galveston during Ike cleanup

just-geese,

yep.

I was digging some and found that link also.

Interesting........

Never know what you will find. :wink: ;D

have a good un............
SHERMANVILLE

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

just-geese said:
There are a lot of things that don't make sense on that story. They never said where the owner in prison at this time lived. The state park that it was found in is on the west end of the island and buried along the picnic shelters on the inside of the dunes. There's something about this story that don't jive if you know what I mean
J-G

I think if you look at the real picture; lets say he didn't really have a place that was his as he may have been renting. He caused an accident and he has no other living relatives, or relatives he no longer associated with. If he had an attorney at the time of the charges, let's say the attorney told him that prior to him going to court that he may/would have to do maybe 2-3 years jail time. So taking the ONLY things that were valuable to him and insure that they would be safe after he got out of jail he buried it so when he got out he could recover it.

I look at it though if it was me and had no other place to leave anything of valuable to me, I would bury it to make sure it would be safe and come back for it later. I am sure that when the man gets out of prison and Mr Pate returns the Ammo Box with contents I am sure there will be a story as to why he buried it at that place. I am sure the man will give him something for being an honest person and returning it. Good things happen in return to good people. Mr Pate, if you keep your word.....YOU ARE THE MAN IN MY BOOK!

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

just-geese said:
Thats possible Harley Man but I would have found some place besides a state park in Tx. If he was to get caught retrieving it he would have lost it for sure

Possible, but you have to realize and think that if it was you who had buried the box, whether park property or not. One can go into an area undetected right under peoples noses and not be discovered, I have done it numerous times, especially with military operations going into places and ACTUALLY entering rooms where people are sleeping, going in and leaving UNDETECTED. Some parks are fenced off at night some aren't, but look at it this way, what would be the chances of getting caught in a park in the wee hours of the morning, especially if it is foggy around areas where there IS high content of water, oceans, rivers, ponds, and lakes, going undectected walking into a park from another location other than the main entrance? If you visualize the picture, maybe he thought the safest place would be buried in a park. Personal property tends to get dug up for repairs, or landscaping, people snooping around, etc, parks don't, unless they are adding an area to the park or building a structure on it. Let's say that after he did retrieve the box after he got out of jail and was caught walking down the road in the wee hours in the middle of the night/early morning going back home etc, and the police come up and approach him. He has a box with HIS contents, personal belongings, pictures and identification in it so they will look inside the box, verify his identification and let him go. Plain and simple.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread