Treasure Chest Found On Florida Beach

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
It wasn't exactly the same sort of haul the Count of Monte Cristo stumbled upon, but it'll make a good story around the dinner table.

A group of people walking along Neptune Beach saw something rather unusual sticking up out of the sand Wednesday morning, so they checked it out.

After digging around a bit, they discovered it was a chest, so they dug it up.

Eager to see what treasure awaited them, the group opened the chest to find jewelry and a note.

It's not the classic "buried treasure" story, though.

The jewelry was costume jewelry, and there wasn't all that much of it.

As for the note, it appears to be a curse to anyone who reads it.

Not terribly worried about being cursed, the people who dug it up are taking the riches home with them.

Not so much the jewelry, but the chest itself. It's going to a new home on their porch.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=131072&catid=3

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Sheesh all I found on the beach was a couple of gorgeous beavertail rings that someone made me throw away! :'(

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty funny... sadly enough, the pic's look like something Sarah & I would come across and then dig up... only to make fun of each other later!!! lol

I'm not going to lie though, that chest really is a nice piece! I'm just wondering if it were modern replica, or actually an old chest. I wonder if maybe the person who originally found the chest took everything that "was" in it, and replaced it with costume jewelry and the note. ???

Either way, funny story! It makes me want to be back in Florida so bad...

Thanks for the post BEF! :wink:

Bran <><

OP
OP
Bridge End Farm

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
godisnum1 said:
That's pretty funny... sadly enough, the pic's look like something Sarah & I would come across and then dig up... only to make fun of each other later!!! lol

I'm not going to lie though, that chest really is a nice piece! I'm just wondering if it were modern replica, or actually an old chest. I wonder if maybe the person who originally found the chest took everything that "was" in it, and replaced it with costume jewelry and the note. ???

Either way, funny story! It makes me want to be back in Florida so bad...

Thanks for the post BEF! :wink:

Bran <><

when you gonna post your treasure stashed in a pipe story ? :wink:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Bridge End Farm said:
Cynangyl said:
Bridge End Farm said:
Cynangyl said:
Sheesh all I found on the beach was a couple of gorgeous beavertail rings that someone made me throw away! :'(

who?

You did!! >:( :tongue3: ;D

I did?? I would never insist that you throw anything away cause I might be on the list of items
::)

lol you pointed out every trash can in sight on the way back to the pickup....afraid those gorgeous beavertail pulltab rings would find a home in your truck?? and btw, I don't have you on any list of items to throw away nor do I intend to put you on such a list! :wink:

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I'm satisfied with the chests I see/find on almost every beach.They are always wrapped in a tiny wisp of pretty cloth.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
warsawdaddy said:
I'm satisfied with the chests I see/find on almost every beach.They are always wrapped in a tiny wisp of pretty cloth.

:o

I had to re-read your post TWICE before I got it... shady Warsaw! :P

Bran <><

OP
OP
Bridge End Farm

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
warsawdaddy said:

yeah true there can be mountains in Florida also at times

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread