METAL DETECTOR UNCOVERS TUDOR COIN HAUL

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
METAL DETECTOR UNCOVERS TUDOR COIN HAUL
A METAL detector enthusiast has uncovered a hoard of Tudor coins.
Andy Whewell made the discovery of the 22 silver coins on farmland in the west of the Island. He turned them over to Manx National Heritage and a date will be set for an inquest to establish whether it is classed as 'treasure trove'.

MNH curator of archaeology Allison Fox said: 'The discovery is interesting and some conservation work and research will be done on the coins.'

It is 41-year-old Mr Whewell's second big find in three years ? first hitting the headlines in March 2003 when he discovered hundreds of Viking and Anglo-Saxon coins on farmland in Glenfaba.

His latest find came on October 5.

'There are lots of people metal detecting all their lives and don't ever find one hoard, but I have found two in just less than three years now,' said Mr Whewell, of Peel.

'I think there is still plenty more out there to be found.'

The field in which he made this discovery had recently been ploughed, which Mr Whewell said helped churn up the coins.

He said it took him three days to uncover and gather the coins, which he predicts could date back to Henry VIIth and Henry VIIIth.

'I think it will go as treasure,' he added.

The law requires such finds to be reported to MNH for an inquest to find if it is treasure trove ? an ancient law which allows the British Crown to claim an item of value whose owner cannot be traced. However, in the Isle of Man the Manx Government, through the agency of MNH, takes the place of the Crown.

Mr Whewell has always been interested in metal detecting, but only took up the hobby months before his first big find.

'I had a metal detector lying in the loft for years and I didn't find much with, it so decided to invest in a new one and fared better with that,' he said.

Ms Fox praised the prompt actions of Mr Whewell and the landowner for their co-operation.
04 November
http://www.iomonline.co.im/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=870&ArticleID=1244334

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
I'm sure he'll get something out of it, at least I like to think so anyway. I myself would rather have one of the coins for my collection than any monetary compensation.
Thanks for posting

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread