Silvestri

Apr 29, 2006
suncoast sw florida
Detector(s) used
eyes in my head for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The treasure of Jose Gaspar was a developer's ploy:a complete work of fiction

Just to set the record straight ..... The internet and other sources abound with stories mentioning the 'legendary tresure ofthe pirate Gaspar. He supposedly used "Gasparilla" island for a hideout in the early 1800's or something and buried his treasure on Cayo Palau nearby. Unfortunately, there is not a shred of historical evidence that this guy(Gaspar) ever existed.There is ,however,alot of evidence to suggest that the locals who developed the island of Gasparilla and Boca Grande made up the whole thing to attract people from up north with stories of gold. Ever since..greedy treasure hunters have been tearing up old indian middens and getting alot of bad karma and not one bit of treasure has ever been found except for one necklace a kid found in the late 1960's near Naples who later hanged himself.Indian mounds are not and never have been good sources of treasure...most we're made by Indians from 700-1500 a.d. before the Spanish even arrived and contain mostly fishbones and broken shells.Not to mention,messing with them is against the law...and not advisable since their spirits are still kinda pissed off at whitey anyway,if yu know what I mean.Not to get on my highhorse but let's put this Gaspar myth to rest...there's plenty of real pirate treasure out there.Pass it on....

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
Re: The treasure of Jose Gaspar was a developer's ploy:a complete work of fiction

Imagine that, A shady realestate developer. Great post!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread