Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The Key West Citizen, Key West, Florida, Friday, 26 October 1928, Page Two
OLD SPANISH COIN FOUND BY WORKMAN NEAR FORT PIERCE
(by Associated Press)
FORT PIERCE, Fla., Oct. 26. -- W.J. Beach, so-called artist and adventurer, who came to this city several months ago, advanced the theory that there was a Spanish treasure hidden along this part of the east coast. Many people guffawed at Beach's idea and made him an object of ridicule, but something has been uncovered here that smacks of the truth of Beach's supposition.

A Spanish coin, dated 1206, was found on the beach a few miles north of the inlet by E.C. Dominguez, employee of the St. Lucie County road department. He had been digging in the sand looking for shells and other curos(?) when he discovered the coin, blackened with age. The date, however, was clearly discemble(?). The appearance of the coin denotes great antiquity and it is stamped with the name of Carolas the Fourth. Dominguez will send the coin to Washington historians to determine its history.

MODIFY 7/2/2006: Adding pic of the article I keyed in above. Had to make sure I did not type in the wrong date. I could not find anything else on this story.

Attachments

• spanish coin 1928 1a.jpg
    spanish coin 1928 1a.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,303
OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks Doc, for the addition. I have yet to find an update to this article :(....well, you think the coin was dated 1206? Oh heck...now I have to research this...see, you should never believe what's in the paper LOL

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Now I will have to look up that article again...I could have very well keyed in the wrong numbers too. Sometimes my fingers have a mind of their own.

Tried to do some research, but was not finding anything concrete....so I went metal detecting...a couple of dimes and some pennies and hubby found his first wheatie (I'm so proud of him :))

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
he sent it to washington huh? did they give it back to him?

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Don't know....I can't find an updated article on this one...but I'm still looking :)

Personnally, if that were me....that coin would never travel without me!!!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
diving doc said:
ronandann said:
Thanks Doc, for the addition. I have yet to find an update to this article :(....well, you think the coin was dated 1206? Oh heck...now I have to research this...see, you should never believe what's in the paper LOL

Couldn't have been unless there's a bunch of Spanish Kings missing with the same names. The date was in error. It was probably 1796.

Doc
Interestng story. 8) The 1715 fleet was not yet re-discovered in 1928. Is this a long forgotten shipwreck in 1796 at Ft. Pierce? Doc, would that be a pillar dollar?? Maybe 1706? Is Mr. Beach still alive to ask him? ???

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
diving doc said:
The problem is the coin we haven't seen but the kings name and number were clearly described which makes the date suggested improbable, (to be polite).
CAROLVS IIII ruled from 1788 till 1808.
Regards,
Doc
Would that make it a pillar dollar, Doc?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
diving doc said:
bigcypresshunter said:
diving doc said:
The problem is the coin we haven't seen but the kings name and number were clearly described which makes the date suggested improbable, (to be polite).
CAROLVS IIII ruled from 1788 till 1808.
Regards,
Doc
Would that make it a pillar dollar, Doc?
If I could see it I'd let you know.
Regards'
Doc
I guess it was a dumb question. I dont know what all Spanish silver looked like in that period.(1788-1808) I thought they all might be the "pillar" type that are sometimes found in that area. I have found coins from the late 1700's, all with the two pillars on the back. I assumed that made it a pillar dollar.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
normal_portrait.jpg
- Portrait or Bust dollar - years 1772-1825
pillar.jpg
- Pillar dollar - years 1732 - 1772

I posted these...because sometimes people get confused as to which is the bust/portrait dollar to a pillar dollar.

After reading the above...it does sound like 1706...not 1206, 7's can look like a 2's, 3's like 8's, 5's like 6's...sometimes easy to misread.

rabajohn

Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ole Charley is not exactly what you would call a handsome feller. This may be why they find so many of these around Florida shores. One look at that mug and you would tend to recoil a bit, resulting in a dropped coin. They also must have named them "pillar" dollars to keep focus away from the other side of the coin. Just a personal theory. ;D

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
Trez said:
normal_portrait.jpg
- Portrait or Bust dollar - years 1772-1825
pillar.jpg
- Pillar dollar - years 1732 - 1772

I posted these...because sometimes people get confused as to which is the bust/portrait dollar to a pillar dollar.

After reading the above...it does sound like 1706...not 1206, 7's can look like a 2's, 3's like 8's, 5's like 6's...sometimes easy to misread.
If it was a 1706 date, then it would have been a cob, with the irregualr shapes and sizes. Cobs were hand made, stamped and cut down to the proper weight. The screw press came into being (in the New World) in 1732 and production beginning lightly in that year with the Pillar Dollar pictured above.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
CaptainZossima said:
Ronandann,
I wonder how many other newspaper stories you can 'dig up' related to all Florida coastlines? Is there a particular group of newspaper archives you research?
Love to hear more.

Cap Z.

Capt Z....I only have access to four papers and only certain years (online)....I can search more if you would like. Let me see what other articles I can find. Of course, each one will be in it's own topic and will have the title of the article (i.e., example of this topic's title). I thought someone out there would like to hear these old "tales", or are they? I love researching :)

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
rck_1 said:
Chances are this is what the guy picked up off the beach.
Thanks Rock and Trez. I found one yrs ago the size of a quarter. Broke down, no change, had to spend it in a pay phone. :-[ It worked. :'(
stupid, stupid. :( :'(

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
diving doc said:
rck_1 said:
Chances are this is what the guy picked up off the beach.
This picture is a counterstamped coin. Wish I could make it out.

It's an oval George III countermark (Type I). In fact, there's a notation to that effect on the upper left corner of the holder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions