Another gold laden side-wheel steamer ship discovered.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It was a sister ship to the S.S. Central America, and sank in International Waters off Georgia (?) about 3 years after the loss of the Central America. There was an article in the L.A. Times (last page) on Sunday, Aug. 17.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The ship is the S.S. Republic, believed to have been carrying 20,000 $20 gold coins worth an estimated $180 million, and sank off Savannah, Georgia on Oct. 25, 1865. (I guess this is more like 10 years after the S.S. Central America.)

Odyssey Marine Explorations Inc. claims to have found the wreck 1700 feet down 100 miles from shore in international waters, and has an injunction preventing anyone else from claiming the wreck.

This information taken from the article "Civil War-Era Shipwreck May Hold $180 Million in Treasure" from pg A32 Sunday Aug. 17 2003 Los Angeles Times

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They went out last night (Oct 8,2003) to begin work on the wreckage. The ship is an archeological ship that has an ROV that can manuever to great depths. Somewhere I have a website I can post. Just need to find it.
All of the $20 gold coin collectors with really high priced coin collections are freaking out about this discovery since at the time of the sinking there was $700,000 in gold specie (coin) on board. If it all came up, the rarity of their coins would plummet, leaving their investments flat. This was from an article noted in Coinworld a few weeks ago.

J

John

Mark,go to search and enter S.S.Central America and there is tons of info. on it. The recovery team just paid off the insurance company and now own all rights to the wreck. Last month they recovered over 20,000 coins. About 3,000 were gold! John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions