Lucara sells 239 carat rough diamond for $5.75m

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Man but that is one big rock!!

from Lucara sells 239 carat rough diamond for $5.75m | MINING.com

Canada's Lucara Diamond (TSX: LUC) completed a $24.85 million tender Wednesday for 15 single stone lots, including $5.75 million for a 239 carat rough stone.
Four other rough diamonds sold for more than $2.5 million. For the whole sale, the average price was $30,468 per carat. All the gems came from its Karowe mine in Botswana.
The company said it was "ecstatic" with the results especially since the mine was in its first year of production, adding the sale validated the quality of the diamonds it's recovering.

related part of the story...

http://www.mining.com/miner-finds-239-carat-raw-diamond-in-botswana-90011/

Lucara Diamond Corp. (TSX:LUC) announced Monday it extracted a 239.2 carat diamond in Botswana.
The Karowe mine, in the central district of the southern African country, also produced two more large stones weighing 124 and 71.1 carats.
Lucara's CEO said in a written statement the 239 carat raw stone is one of the largest diamonds ever to have been recovered from the Orapa kimberlite field in more than 40 years.
He also noted the mine has confirmed it contains fancy-coloured blue diamonds, some of the most valuable and sought-after gems.
The three raw stones will be sent to Belgium to be studied and then sold later in the year.
Christie's is set to hold a multi-million-dollar auction in May for one of the world's biggest diamonds, which weighed 236 carats when it was originally extricated.

239-carat-diamond-300x250.jpg

Last edited:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Amazing, I wonder how they know its high enough quality to sell for that price before they cut it, it looks so cloudy but I don't know much about diamonds maybe most rough ones look that cloudy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread