Three Tennessee Men Indicted For Taking Civil War Artifacts From Tennessee River

DainBrammage

Apr 1, 2014
Desoto County, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not Scary. shows you how ignorant some folks are. Especially if they were knowingly hunting an area that is a reserved historical park area, or an area under the TVA, or under the Army Corps of Engineers the law is crystal clear on this in TN and MS on what you can and cant do and what permits are needed. If its Federal land i.e Army Corps same rules would apply in AL

ecoast

Sep 12, 2013
The Highlands of NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, V3i, DeepTech Vista SMART, ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[h=1]Three Tennessee Men Indicted for Taking Civil War Artifacts from Tennessee River on TVA Land in Alabama[/h]​
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Augus 27 , 2014
BIRMINGHAM -- A federal grand jury today indicted three Tennessee men on charges connected to the removal of Civil War-era archaeological artifacts from the Tennessee River at Bridgeport in Jackson County, Ala., announced U.S. Attorney Joyce White Vance and Tennessee Valley Authority Police Director David Jolley.
An indictment filed in U.S. District Court charges KENNETH STEPHEN FAGIN JR., 38, of South Pittsburg, Tenn., TERRY BRUCE TATE, 60, of Jasper, Tenn., and ANGELO DOMINIC PERUIT, 46, of Knoxville, Tenn., under the Archeological Resources Protection Act.
The indictment charges Fagin, former owner of Historical Resurrections in Jasper, Tenn., with one count of excavating and removing archeological resources from public lands, the Tennessee River at Bridgeport, in April 2010. It charges Fagin and Tate with one count of exchanging and transporting archeological resources taken from the river in March 2010. The indictment also charges Fagin and Peruit, owner of The Army of Tennessee Civil War Relics in Knoxville, with one count of offering to sell and exchange archeological resources removed from the river between April 1, 2010, and Aug. 31, 2011. The resources, in all counts, are said to have a commercial value and a cost of restoration and repair in excess of $500.
Each of the charges carries a maximum penalty of two years in prison and a $20,000 fine.
TVA Police Investigations Unit investigated the case, which Assistant U.S. Attorney David H. Estes is prosecuting.
The public is reminded that an indictment contains only charges. A defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thief.jpg In the southeast we have a federal govenment agency called The Tennessee Valley Authority. They control and own all navigable waterways. They own the land out so many feet. Not sure what their easement is. It is against the law to remove anything historic from federal lands. The TVA Police are the most abusive , lawless individuals I have ever heard of short of nazi or commie border guards. I once walked out a foot path that led to the top of one of the small TVA dams and walked out on top of the dam to over look the water . It was a beautiful scene until three white jeeps showed up at high speed nearly crashing and causing a cloud of dust . Next thing I know I had about 3 officers pointing machine guns at me. After that ....more sirens , more police cars. It was outrageous. They had about 3 times TVA Police than they really needed. Then they were defunded. thank god. It is rare to see a TVA Police these days. But this story is about hunting without permission or hunting on lands where it is against the law to metal detect. Don't do it. We all dread asking land owners but more times than not land owners around here are friendly. Build goodwill with landowners. Dont hunt their land and leave without sharing a bullet or two with them. Show them what you find. Buy a riker mount and put them them a little display together. After all its their land. Ive ranted enough.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These ole boys have been doing this for a long time.They knew the rules. I am surprised they were not caught sooner. They have ruined places where you work to get permission to find they have left holes.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They own stores that deal in relics...if anyone knew the laws they did...no excuse.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The sad fact in all of this, is that it is more bad press for our hobby. Even though they have nothing to do with us, it will re-enforce the notion that all detectorists are greedy destructive people. Sad.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was public land in a river, "God's water" for those of you that have seen super troopers. At least in PA, I asked several law enforcement groups about detecting in and collecting items from rivers and creeks in the state. Almost everyone I asked said, "As far as I'm concerned, as long as no trespassing is committed, the water is owned by the people of the commonwealth of Pennsylvania."

Guess it's different everywhere you go.

HH

DainBrammage

Apr 1, 2014
Desoto County, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The TVA and Army Corps of Enginers are federal agencies that control dams, waterways, spillways, throughout most of the country. As such any land deemed thiers falls under federal law.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
_cemetery.jpg Well it is like this. It is our land and waterway but we pay and fund the TVA to keep us out. They confiscated and paid penneys on the dollar for the land when they put us all under water. Whole towns and even cemeteries . Term navigable water way is what they use now. It is against the law to dive in the river and that is what these guys do. I ran into them on Battle Creek one day while fishing. They told me of a farm they had dug and did very well. The owner had called me raising cane because some one had pot holed his field at night. I actually leased the farm but had not been able to get permission to metal detect the old homesite. They did not have permission and just went. That is what they did for the glory of the finds. I also hunt the area they got caught in but I have permission on the land from the land owners. They are idiots and it makes things tough for everyone especially when you have people start putting value on the things we find.
That picture is from up river a little ways from Bridgeport.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1056633 Well it is like this. It is our land and waterway but we pay and fund the TVA to keep us out. They confiscated and paid penneys on the dollar for the land when they put us all under water. Whole towns and even cemeteries . Term navigable water way is what they use now. It is against the law to dive in the river and that is what these guys do. I ran into them on Battle Creek one day while fishing. They told me of a farm they had dug and did very well. The owner had called me raising cane because some one had pot holed his field at night. I actually leased the farm but had not been able to get permission to metal detect the old homesite. They did not have permission and just went. That is what they did for the glory of the finds. I also hunt the area they got caught in but I have permission on the land from the land owners. They are idiots and it makes things tough for everyone especially when you have people start putting value on the things we find.
That picture is from up river a little ways from Bridgeport.
I thought they relocated the graves that got covered when they built the dams..was that picture taken during a flood or is that the normal water level?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No…..That is there all the time under water and every year during winter draw down it comes to the surface. It is in Cummings cove. We fish it in the summer. No they did not have time to relocate all the cemeteries . They said from recent burials coffins were shooting up to the surface. I have all the old maps before they put it under water and used them when I tournament fished. TVA is not very popular with locals unless you work there and even they do not really like it.

Last edited:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, it's like the USA has gone from the "land of the Free home of the Brave" to "Land of the Kings home of the Serfs".

How dare you hunt the master's land! To the pillory with you serf! :/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread