tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think that sure would be a tripping hazard on the beach at night. Makes you wonder what else is buried in the sands of all the Florida beaches.???

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
God bless Ray Midgett for being a great example for the rest of the population that do not appreciate our hobby. Kudos to you Ray.

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought metal detecting was illegal in the Outer Banks?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I thought metal detecting was illegal in the Outer Banks?

Well snake-man bill, assuming what you are saying is true (that it's "illegal" there): Let this be a lesson to you on the relationship between "technicalities" and "realities".

What I'm saying is, that if you or I ask enough desk-bound bored bureaucrats and archies, then SURE! You can ALWAYS find someone to say "no" or "it's illegal", etc .... And then sure as sh#t, that info/answer gets fed into the hobbyist's pipeline of info, gets repeated and linked on forums, and then presto: one day, it's just assumed that "it's illegal". Right ? But lo & behold, old-timers, or persons who simply didn't know any better (shame on them) just went. No one cares less, nor ever did. See how that works?

Therefore whenever I read on a thread or link that "such & such place is off-limits", I sometimes ask myself "says who?" or "where is that written?". If it's simply some sort of cultural heritage citations, or simply some pencil-pushers opinion/answer from someone-having-asked 25+ yrs. ago (that gets repeated and linked often enough that it's eventually taken-as-fact), then ...... sometimes you have ask yourself "does anyone really care?"

MZKITY

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is strange... First, I thought the outer banks were in North Carolina??? Then, I really don't know of anyplace that metal detecting is off limits. Unless it is a State Park that plainly states No Metal Detecting.

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX
You are pretty much correct. A large portion of the Outer Banks can be hunted. Sadly I wonder how many of us have hunted that area and never knew what we were walking over. Fortunately there is a person such as Mr. Midgett who managed to save the remains!
Bruce

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread