Looters strike Vicksburg National Military Park

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
Oh that just pi$$e$ me off! >:(
And the archie says, "I've started comparing it to hacking on Web sites just because it's there and because they can do it."
So now we're lumped in with hackers. Sheesh.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Whoever did this should be whipped!

I have been to that place....it is an amazing National Monument.

I could see MD'ing if one had permission, but that is outrageous!

>:( >:( >:(

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
The link doesn't work but doesn't surprise me if it's true.

When I had a book appraised recently I was told it had no value, but if it was a civil war book....wow,would it be valuable.

Friend of mine took a recently inherited family military letter to be appraised and the appraiser said it was a nice piece of family history but not very valuable. This was a different appraiser from a different state from mine. But he said...now if that had been a letter from a known officer in the civil war it would be valuable.

Civil war collectibles are all the rage. Greed is as greed does so how many artifacts are being found by treasure hunters solely for the purpose of selling them for profit? Quite a bit I would imagine.

Who cares how you obtain it as long as it's genuine. That's the attitude out there now. People are making money in a feeding frenzy. If you are unscrupulous and say...I bought it in a little antique shop while on vacation....that probably won't be questioned.

Who knows, next year it might be War of 1812 stuff that's all the rage and the civil war locations will become places of reverence again instead of sources of tomb robber profits.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live about 40 miles from Vicksburg and about every 2 years or so, some lowdown son of a female canine will sneak into the military park there. These are not only some lowlifes, but are really STUPID. The park area doesn't cover all of the fighting area. There was serious fighting all around the area, so metal detecting is ripe if you get permission from private land owners.

One more piece of info that didn't make many news pages was that the remains of an old man who disappeared about 5 years ago were found in the brush-choked gully that the MDing thieves used to enter and leave the park. The old gentleman was suffering from Dementia or something like it,when he went missing. No foul-play is suspected in his death.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack,

Apologies for getting off topic, but I noticed your icon and it brings back old memories. I took one of my old jackets and put a large version on the back in 1971.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread