Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 1794 Flowing Hair silver dollar graded MS-66+ by PCGS

I personally think they Over Graded it.
to get a Higher bid.Look at the Problems around the Date. Looks like a dug Coin to me.

2041both-e1442245954772.png

Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) realized nearly $5 million at auction Wednesday when a new portion of the D. Brent Pogue Collection went on sale in New York City. The coin had been forecasted to bring in between $3 million and $5 million. 1794 was the first year the U.S. minted silver dollars. Dennis Hengeveld noted in his of the auction that the 1794 dollar had a mintage of just 1,758 pieces and that this particular specimen is “well-known and extensively pedigreed.” The coin is known as a “Lord St. Oswald” silver dollar, so-named for the British aristocrat who first acquired the coin during travels to the U.S. around the time it was minted.

?First American Dollar? Realizes $4.9 Million at Auction | Coin Update

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MS/PR-66+Very few minor marks/hairlines not in focal areas, very good strike with superior eye appeal

PCGS.com - PCGS Grading Standards

my grade at best

AU-58+Full detail with the barest trace of friction on the highest points. Superior eye appeal.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to recommend to all my friends, if you have coins in your collection or in treasures, I highly recommend that you sell them in a coin auction. Most big time coin dealers also have coin auctions. There are many fine ones, I had purchased all my old coins from Stack's and Bowers. Check coin magazines for other names.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be tampered with on the 2 last date #s .
Alot less money if so on all partys involved .

maybe recut many years ago.
perhaps that's why it appears to be corrupted with mold of some type around the last to numbers

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to realize - the dies and presses of that time were not up to the standards later on in history - they just wanted to make a coin to use
would have to call my friend - that infact may be a coin his friend dug
he has a friend that dug a couple under the slab at a cellar hole on top of a mountain in nw Ct. a few yrs ago
next time I talk to him - will ask

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The date surely doesn't look Mint State.
The letter A on the back side looks corroded.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
It was not unusual for the planchets to be uneven back then. That would cause weakness in areas of the design, without effecting grade. Additionally, most planchets were weighed before striking and filed down if they were heavy. The file marks often survived striking and appear as "Scratches" on the surface when in fact, when examined microscopically, it becomes obvious they are before the striking. All of that considered, I would go with the grade given by the professionals who were able to actually handle the coin, get it under a microscope, and so on over someone who is grading from a photograph.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread