Dry lake exposes cool stuff

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was a better article than the other one that was posted on the forums... and the picture gave me a good idea of how far the water has receded!

Bran <><

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i love how the archaeologist mentions that "thieves" are also interested in "his" finds and he hopes the water rises soon so it will all be underwater again. what makes him think that "he" owns that stuff any more than any one else. that is the typical attitude of most archies. mine mine mine!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, I agree. :-\

Bran <><

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
hollowpointred said:
i love how the archaeologist mentions that "thieves" are also interested in "his" finds and he hopes the water rises soon so it will all be underwater again. what makes him think that "he" owns that stuff any more than any one else. that is the typical attitude of most archies. mine mine mine!

I was just on my way in here to post this article and comment on the "thieves" part too. He's right about the native american remains and cultural artifacts. They need to be preserved so that we can learn more about their culture and history...but the salvage stuff like boats, vehicles, aircraft, glass, and metal what the heck does he care? We already know about them and they have been well documented. How are they being "stolen" if they were discarded as trash in the first place? That is asenine to say "thieves" in regard to these things. It's also asenine to hope that the lake fills back up soon to preserve them. If it fills up soon he isn't going to "study" anything. Is he going to go diving into the lake after these things? No. They are just going to sit at the bottom of the lake and rot and after a while there will be NOTHING left to preserve. If stuff was really THAT important he would be out there digging them up instead of wasting time running his mouth in an interview with a national news agency. If you want the stuff shut up and dig. Otherwise, go find another project to become indiana jones on. Dang, wish I were going to florida next week like my wife. Anyone here been out there digging yet?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately anything found in the state of Florida that is more than 50 years old is considered a Historical Artifact and is illegal to keep.The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission is patrolling the site.I've found better stuff than this in Kentucky tobacco fields.Of course the really good stuff is probably being kept hush-hush,you know how that goes....
Here is a link to some of the artifacts recovered from the lake so far and Mr."Archie" himself ;) -
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/sfl-artifacts,0,6775385.photogallery?coll=sfla-home-utility&index=1

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
diggummup said:
Unfortunately anything found in the state of Florida that is more than 50 years old is considered a Historical Artifact and is illegal to keep.The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission is patrolling the site.I've found better stuff than this in Kentucky tobacco fields.Of course the really good stuff is probably being kept hush-hush,you know how that goes....
Here is a link to some of the artifacts recovered from the lake so far and Mr."Archie" himself ;) -
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/sfl-artifacts,0,6775385.photogallery?coll=sfla-home-utility&index=1

Now, you see. These native american artifacts pictured I have no problem with being protected. Sure, they are worth money, and they are treasure in their own right, but other stuff that has been dumped in the lake as trash or mistakenly dropped is asenine to say shouldn't be collected because it's more than fifty years old. The state just doesn't want anyone making untaxed money off from the stuff because they know some of it is worth something to collectors. That's the only reason the law is in place. Do cops come up to people in Florida detecting a park or private residence and say "Let me inspect all your finds to make sure you don't have any change or artifacts older than 50 years."? Could you imagine?
You found a 1600s spanish buckle in St Augustine on private property that you had permission to hunt and keep stuff and you get arrested for keeping it? Are you freaking kidding me?!?! What a crock. I have met several bottle diggers from florida on-line that regularly keep stuff from the mid to late 1800s. Should they be prosecuted?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skrimpy said:
diggummup said:

Now, you see. These native american artifacts pictured I have no problem with being protected. Sure, they are worth money, and they are treasure in their own right, but other stuff that has been dumped in the lake as trash or mistakenly dropped is asenine to say shouldn't be collected because it's more than fifty years old. The state just doesn't want anyone making untaxed money off from the stuff because they know some of it is worth something to collectors. That's the only reason the law is in place. Do cops come up to people in Florida detecting a park or private residence and say "Let me inspect all your finds to make sure you don't have any change or artifacts older than 50 years."? Could you imagine?
You found a 1600s spanish buckle in St Augustine on private property that you had permission to hunt and keep stuff and you get arrested for keeping it? Are you freaking kidding me?!?! What a crock. I have met several bottle diggers from florida on-line that regularly keep stuff from the mid to late 1800s. Should they be prosecuted?
Welcome to my world! :) This state is ridiculous to say the least and I long for the day when I can say "so long suckers" as I carry the American flag with me!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
diggummup said:
Welcome to my world! :) This state is ridiculous to say the least and I long for the day when I can say "so long suckers" as I carry the American flag with me!

So what do they give you the riot act when they see you detecting? Do they want to see everything you've dug up for the day to make sure it's not a coin minted before 1957? It would make every dig and detecting trip kind of fun being clandestine.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skrimpy said:
diggummup said:

So what do they give you the riot act when they see you detecting? Do they want to see everything you've dug up for the day to make sure it's not a coin minted before 1957? It would make every dig and detecting trip kind of fun being clandestine.
No,not in reality.They just make it a point to make sure that anyplace that has the slightest possibility of having anything "old" on it is off limits to detecting.About the only places lrft to detect legally are the beaches and private property.What they don't know won't hurt them (or me).Luckily (or not depending on how you look at it) they are too busy with real crimes taking place down here in the banana republic. :)

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Similar rules here in NY, but it only applies to state owned property. Not town, or private. I think it's if the object is over 100 years old or worth more than 100 dollars it is supposed to be turned into the property managers but I have heard that most property managers only know that detecting is allowable but don't know the regs. One guy told me he found a very, very valuable ring on Jones Beach and went to turn it into the security guard and he just said, "So? Great find for you huh?"

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Solution! Wait for the lake to fill back in with water, then get out the scuba gear.
::)

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
Question:

Has anyone taken photos of the lake lately? I am sure that
a few of us would like to see some of the objects that are
being exposed.

Dinkydick

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup,

being that lake Okeechobee is drying up.the beach has been extended so it seems it would be legal to detect here since it is in fact a florida beach.and lake Okeechobee does connect with the intercoastal an the ocean on both sides.

i just called the florida state archie Ryan Wheeler,left a msg about this,waiting for his call back.will let you all know about what he says whats legal or not to detect dryed up lake beaches.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FISHEYE said:
diggummup,

being that lake Okeechobee is drying up.the beach has been extended so it seems it would be legal to detect here since it is in fact a florida beach.and lake Okeechobee does connect with the intercoastal an the ocean on both sides.

i just called the florida state archie Ryan Wheeler,left a msg about this,waiting for his call back.will let you all know about what he says whats legal or not to detect dryed up lake beaches.
Good idea,let us know what you find out if anything.Now it's time to research some old maps pre-A.C.E. and the dyke on the southend.That and one of my friends with an airboat. ;)

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just got a call from ryan wheeler the state archie.he said that being the lakes(lake Okeechobee and all florida lakes and rivers) are drying up,the dry exposed areas are still under the states control being that they are still considered submerged lands.so as far as metal detecting them it would be illegal.he also said that the coast guard,marine patrol,dep,local police and the army corps of engineers are out in force with dogs,boats,planes and choppers looking for people digging or looking for artifacts.so there it is.you wont see me anywhere around that lake.ill stick with the ocean an the beaches.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
FISHEYE said:
i just got a call from ryan wheeler the state archie.he said that being the lakes(lake Okeechobee and all florida lakes and rivers) are drying up,the dry exposed areas are still under the states control being that they are still considered submerged lands.so as far as metal detecting them it would be illegal.he also said that the coast guard,marine patrol,dep,local police and the army corps of engineers are out in force with dogs,boats,planes and choppers looking for people digging or looking for artifacts.so there it is.you wont see me anywhere around that lake.ill stick with the ocean an the beaches.

typical. ::)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It figures.I wonder how many thousands of taxpayer dollars are being spent to patrol the lake? What a friggin joke. The longer i'm here the more I hate the people running this state.And hate is a strong word.I can understand the indian settlement or camp or whatever it is,but as far as the other "artifacts" or "relics" go,well I just can't justify wasting our money to patrol the entire lake with all of these different agencies.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
FISHEYE said:
...he also said that the coast guard,marine patrol,dep,local police and the army corps of engineers are out in force with dogs,boats,planes and choppers looking for people digging or looking for artifacts...

Morons. First the Archy for saying such a asenine thing. Then the authorities for wasting so many tax dollars on hundred year old relics rather than on IDing the sensitive parts of the lake and protecting THEM. They can't be "out in force" when they need coverage in the rest of the state. Last time I checked Florida was not all that safe and Lake Okechobee is in the middle of nowhere, meaning when someone really needs help where are your emergency workers going to be...making overtime protecting the precious "archyfacts" from the metal detecting "thieves" a hundred miles away? Fat chance. Yeah maybe there is a patrol but are you really going to go after someone hard for digging up hundred year old coins? I can understand if they were digging up native american burial grounds but scrap metal. See my quote at the bottom of the page. It says it all. The archy is stupid and if what he says is true the government in florida is stupid. I was thinking of moving to florida in retirement too. Oh well. South Carolina here I come!

As far as scuba gear in the lake when the water comes back...I wouldn't do it. Gators and Cottonmouths galore. You're sure to get dead quick diving there. But...would that stop you taking your bass boat out with a grapple and dragging it accross the bottom when nobody was looking to try and bring some bottles up? ;) Just make sure you got a fishing rod out and when the game warden comes along just leave the grapple in the water and tell em it's an anchor. Thieves! What a lot of bloody rotten thieves we are for wanting to collect trash! Morons.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Forget the scuba gear as diving for any artifacts in state waters is illegal, has been for years! As far the Native American artifacts go they too should be collected and displayed. They no more belong on the lake bottom than an old fishing pole dropped in by accident.
The poor Indian who made it never intended to lose it either. It is out of context for study purposes, not as if some sunken Indian village is exposed. Just individual artifacts whose types have been studied and cataloged elsewhere. How is leaving them on the bottom of a muddy lake going to teach us anything. Developers have destroyed and disturbed more sites in 1 year than all the collectors have in the last 100!
Private land is still an option as long as no burials are involved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread