jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(CNN)It's a discovery that could rewrite the story of southeastern United States. Stone tools and mastodon bones found at the bottom of a Florida river point to humans living in the region 14,550 years ago. That's more than 1,500 years earlier than previously believed, scientists say. "This is a big deal," said Jessi Halligan, one of the study's authors and an assistant professor of anthropology at Florida State University. "It's pretty exciting. We thought we knew the answers to how and when we got here, but now the story is changing." The discovery on the Aucilla River was reported Friday by the journal Science Advances.

Mastodon bones offer clues of earliest humans in North America - CNN.com

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The archeologists believe it to be a big deal. Most people will yawn, as I did. 1500 more years of man in that region. Ok. How does that information affect us today?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
As long as they don't go back and re-grade my test results from school, I don't really care. :laughing9:

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a 14,500-year-old woolly mammoth skeleton that was dug up in 1994 has been unveiled at the Milwaukee Public Museum, July 10, 2008 The Hebior mammoth.

"Small gouges on the bones suggest the meat was scraped off with human tools, meaning people lived in the Upper Midwest at least 1,000 years earlier than previously believed, said Carter Lupton, vice president of museum programs."

"The Clovis tribe had been known to be in the area 13,000 years ago," Lupton said Tuesday. "These butcher marks indicate human activity, which means there were humans in Wisconsin more than 14,000 years ago."

Man was hunting the big beast in Wisconsin during the last Ice Age; 1,000 years Before the American Indians ever showed up.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Life on this continent dates back a whole lot farther than that, the Garden of Eden was in the desert southwest.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
This is an important and amazing find. It gives us a better idea of how fast and how far people dispersed across our continent. They were hunters and gatherers that pursued available food. Today's artifact hunters have helped spur interest in the search in Florida. One of our members(Gator Boy)has found a great deal of material created by these people's descendants and quite possibly by these actual people. Thanks for posting Jeff. Archeological work is important and never a waste of time...

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I believe that MOST "time" estimates concerning these sort of things are based more on hunches or guesses...

It always kills me when I read a number like "14,550"...
I mean where does the extra "50" come from ? let alone the five hundred...

Why not just say "Roughly 14,000 years" OR "close to 15,000"...
To try and "peg" down the years is almost laughable.

Beings Antiquities have been a MAJOR part of my life and the deciphering of age is always the question to be answered it is obvious to me when talking "age" of something.
Even an item that is less than 300 years ago cannot be even pegged most of the time within fifty years LET ALONE something WITH NO documentation OR KNOWN EXACT dating from ANY source.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I really chuckle is whn they talk in "millions" heh

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it's interesting that man has been on this planet for over 14,552.3 years and 6 days.

And only in the last couple of hundred did we develop into something with technology.

And then look at how fast we crapped up the planet.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's interesting people can look at things like the great pyramid
and the Sphinx
and claim they were built by slaves.

the Sphinx is probably over 10,000 years old and maybe created the same way Rushmore was

1200px-Sphinx_partially_excavated2.jpg

My guess their 14,550 years ago estimate for humans in Florida Will be dwarfed
at some point also, by a much earlier find

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, ok....let's get really crazy here!

As we all know, the crust of the Earth (the tectonic plates) are continually in motion. Eventually, everything that is above-ground will some day be ground away and then boiled back to raw materials. ANY remnants of a past civilization will be totally and permanently erased from those portions of the Earth. ...One day, we'll all be just a big puddle of crude oil and natural gas -- -- -- kinda like the Earth swallowing us up and then getting gas and diarrhea.

Then too, remember all those UFO articles that used to plague the newspapers? While I'm not a fanatic, I "have" seen something in the sky that could not possibly have been manmade. So makes me wonder, what if our ancestors came from a different planet - or, better yet, even from THIS planet, but wherever from, the planet became inhospitable due to....you guessed it, "technology". Therefore, mankind lived in high-tech mobile homes (just can't take the trash out of the trailer park!!) that flew all around until they re-settled here, on this planet surface with this climate. Maybe the former "mankind" wasn't really that much like mankind after all. I mean, you really gotta wonder sometimes just HOW mankind was able to chart the stars, move rocks larger than anything that modern machinery can move, and yet still disappear due to greed and gluttony (Romans, Aztecs, Egyptians, etc); the lust for power and control. Now here we are today, technology growing faster than our ability to keep up with potential consequences, and we're watching the Earth being made into a shambles. Actually, we're doing everything in our power to help it along! When I was a kid there were still areas that were wild; never explored by modern man. Now many of those areas have mini-malls and shopping centers and 20-lane freeways.

For the most part, I believe mankind is good. ...For the most part! However, there are an awful lot who just don't care how they get ahead in life. They have no rules, or make up their own rules as they go. They hurt things for the rest of us. MD snipers who dig places without permission or care, nations that are not content with the lands that they have, gov'ts that are always looking for the upper hand, even over their own people, etc. It's these kinds of people that demand that technology continue pushing forward....gotta make the stockholders happy!! Gotta go down in the history books and live in infamy. Gotta push forward, if for no other reason than to see "if" we can, and just how far we can go! Some day, these ways of thinking is gonna catch up to us. I doubt it'll happen in my lifetime, but it's possible - the technology is certainly there. However, I think the final step - the missing link - is the lack of unlimited, so-cheap-it's-virtually-free energy. Once there is such ample energy available, science/technology will have no more bonds to stop even FASTER advancement into technologies we shouldn't yet be delving into.

For the most part, people are good. It's the few who just don't care who make life dangerous for the rest of us. So, without further adieu (and being that it's Sunday morning), it might be a good time to sit back and reflect on these things, try to grasp what we can do as individuals to make things better on our end, pray for guidance, and then pledge to make a change in our lives to always be better tomorrow than we were yesterday. .....THEN you can go out and fire up the grill, throw on some steaks or hot wings, and down a few brews.

Oh, and one more thing...... Have a nice day! :laughing7:

Btw, carbon dating? Yeah, I think there were a few carbons I dated in my youth!

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All it means is that my artifact and relic collection is far from complete......must keep searching

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Personally I believe that MOST "time" estimates concerning these sort of things are based more on hunches or guesses...

It always kills me when I read a number like "14,550"...
I mean where does the extra "50" come from ? let alone the five hundred...

Why not just say "Roughly 14,000 years" OR "close to 15,000"...
To try and "peg" down the years is almost laughable.

Beings Antiquities have been a MAJOR part of my life and the deciphering of age is always the question to be answered it is obvious to me when talking "age" of something.
Even an item that is less than 300 years ago cannot be even pegged most of the time within fifty years LET ALONE something WITH NO documentation OR KNOWN EXACT dating from ANY source.
I think they've been able to accurately date the Gabor sisters to within + or - 50 years.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Many ways to date artifacts. Whole list on google. Carbon 14, good to 50,000-60,000 years is pretty reliable and accurate. And the pyramids were built by ordinary folk whose ancestors and descendants worked, lived and died there. Huge cemeteries have been discovered with their remains. Not a great mystery anymore. All of this is available online or at a major university library. Yeah, I know I'm a smart a**, but being retired sort of sucks. Don't knock archeologists, start at a community college and become one. Just takes time and effort...

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of interesting how almost on a weekly basis our understanding of history is being shot full of holes. And America was like a train station. Everyone was here at one time or another & Chris Columbus showed up late to the party...........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread