Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Check it out.

New Search Begins in Earhart Mystery

By RICHARD PYLE
The Associated Press
Thursday, July 12, 2007; 5:49 AM

NEW YORK -- Hoping modern technology can help them solve a 70-year-old mystery, a group of investigators will search a South Pacific island to try to determine if famed aviator Amelia Earhart crash-landed and died there.

The expedition of 15 members of the International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery, or TIGHAR, was set to depart Thursday. The trip would mark the group's ninth to Nikumaroro, an uninhabited atoll about 1,800 miles south of Hawaii.

Once at the 2 1/2-mile-long island, the group was to spend 17 days searching for human bones, aircraft parts and any other evidence to try to show that Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan, reached the island on July 2, 1937, crashed on a reef at low tide and made it to shore, where they possibly lived for months as castaways, written off by the world as lost at sea.

The conditions during the search will be punishing, with the explorers forced to contend with dense jungle vegetation, 100-degree heat, sharks that reside in a lagoon in the middle of the island and voracious crabs that make it necessary to wear shoes at all times.

"The public wants it solved. That's why everybody on the street today, 70 years later, knows the name Amelia Earhart," said TIGHAR founder and executive director Ric Gillespie. "She is America's favorite missing person."

At the time, Earhart, 39, and Noonan, 44, were nearing the end of a much-publicized round-the-world flight that had begun more than a month earlier in Oakland, Calif. On July 2, they left Lae, New Guinea, bound for tiny Howland Island, 2,550 miles to the east, only to vanish as they neared their destination.

A 16-day search by U.S. Navy and Coast Guard ships turned up no sign of the fliers or their silver, twin-engine Lockheed Electra. Despite an official finding that they ran out of gas and crashed in the ocean, the case spawned a once-popular claim that the pair were captured and executed as spies on a Japanese-held island.

Gillespie acknowledges that some critics regard the Nikumaroro castaway theory as far-fetched, but he says there is strong evidence to suggest Earhart and Noonan reached what was then known as Gardner Island, 350 miles south of Howland, and survived a crash-landing on its wide flat reef.

"Most skeptics are not really familiar with the evidence that we've found, and they usually have a vested interest in the other theories _ that they crashed at sea or were captured by the Japanese," he said.

The evidence includes radio distress signals that may have come from Earhart, bones found at a former campsite in 1940, and pieces of airplane parts that Gillespie says could have come from Earhart's plane. One of these is a shard of Plexiglas, the exact thickness and curvature of an Electra window, but with no serial number.

The bones, found by a British overseer in 1940 and first judged to belong to a mixed-race male, vanished in Fiji during World War II. But a doctor's notes, discovered in London in 1998, were reanalyzed by two American forensic anthropologists, who found the remains were more likely those of a Caucasian female about Earhart's age and height.

Metal detectors, digital cameras slung from kites, infrared-equipped surveying devices and even pig bones are among items TIGHAR planned to use for the expedition. The search will concentrate on two locations: the campsite where bones were found in 1940, and a site where aircraft parts were recovered.

Kar Burns, one of two anthropologists on the team, hopes coconut crabs native to the island _ some as big as 2 1/2 feet across _ will carry the pig bones to wherever human bones might have been taken by crabs. DNA from human bones could help solve the mystery, Gillespie said.

The group _ mostly veterans of previous trips to the island _ includes engineers, environmentalists, a land developer, archaeologists, a sailboat designer, a team doctor and a videographer.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/12/AR2007071200335.html

kenb

T

TreasureTales

Interesting. Wonder how much the expedition is already promised in the way of book and/or tv rights. Thanks for the story.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Don't you know that Amelia was found already? SHe was found by Captain Janeway of the Federation Starship "Voyager" in the Delta quadrant of the galaxy. SHe was spirited away to there with a few others called "the 88s". I remember that episode. It was great.

:-)

OP
OP
kenb

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Update, more to come.

Team seeking Earhart’s remains arrives at Pacific atoll
The expedition seeking the remains of Amelia Earhart has arrived at the tiny Pacific atoll where members believe the aviator crashed and perished.

The Niku V team will spend 17 days on Nikumaroro Island searching for remains and artifacts that it hopes to link to Earhart.

The island is 1,000 miles from Fiji and 350 miles south of where Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan, were supposed to land when they disappeared in 1937.

The 15-person expedition includes archaeologists and Earhart enthusiasts. They flew to Fiji before boarding a ship for the nearly weeklong voyage to the uninhabited island. Previous trips have turned up clues, including the remains of a 1930s-style woman’s shoe.

The team’s theory has its skeptics, however, who argue Earhart didn’t have enough fuel to reach the island and probably was lost at sea.

| David Klepper, [email protected]

http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/197581.html

kenb

OP
OP
kenb

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Another update.

Amelia Earhart expedition crew searches for answers
By DAVID KLEPPER
The Star’s Topeka correspondent

An Amelia Earhart expedition crew made up of archaeologists, adventure junkies and Earhart enthusiasts flew earlier this month to Fiji in the South Pacific before taking a five-day boat trip to the tiny, uninhabited island of Nikumororo.

They spent their days looking for evidence, and their nights feasting on seafood on their ship moored offshore. It’s the eighth such visit for some members of the group.

David Mason said the expedition found no obvious proof, but they did uncover an old zipper pull, scraps of metal and decades-old leftovers of several meals of bird and fish. Now, they’ll study the artifacts to see if there’s any definitive way to link them to Earhart.

After he caught up on his sleep, Mason talked to The Star about their theory of Earhart’s fate and his time on the tiny, sun-baked atoll surrounded by sharks.

Why the interest in Earhart?

It wasn’t so much the interest in Earhart as it was the interest in adventure and mystery. But the fact that I’m from Kansas and she was from Kansas, that made it more special.

Then why the adventure?

I don’t want to say I’m a thrill seeker, because I’m not. But I’ve always loved adventure, history and mysteries. This was the perfect combination of all three.

What makes you think Earhart ended up on the island?

There’s some very, very strong things that point to that island. If you draw that line (the directional line Earhart’s plane was believed to be flying), it goes right by Gardner Island, or Nikumororo as it’s called now. Immediately after she went down, someone claiming to be her was transmitting distress calls on her frequency. And Pan Am tried to map where the signals were coming from; five out of the seven lines all point to Nikumororo.

… And then the early settlers of the island state that there was a plane wreck when they first arrived. Then, in 1940, a British officer found bones along with a sextant box. Those bones were later determined to be female.

Then in 2001, there was a (shoe) heel that was found and part of a sole that they estimate to be about a size 10. They think she was a size 9, and there’s a photo with her wearing a heel like that. Plus, aircraft parts were found.

Things keep dribbling out, a number of things, that say this hypothesis is entirely probable.

What were the conditions on the island?

Very brutal. If you’re in the shade and there’s a breeze, it is very pleasant, 87 degrees. But if you went into the sun, the highest temperature I recorded was 113. It’s not dry heat; it’s very, very humid. I drank five liters of water a day, and sweated that much as well.

What people don’t understand is how difficult it is to maneuver on the island. The scaevola (a thick tropical plant) is just impenetrable. You literally have to whack your way through; it can take forever just to go 15 feet. … And there were sharks. It’s a breeding ground for them. If you got seriously injured, it was three days to the nearest civilization.

What did the work entail?

Average day, I would get up at 6 a.m., climb the stairs to the top of the ship, eat breakfast, prepare my pack for the day and by 7 o’clock we were on the skiff heading to the landing. … And then it’s a 20-minute hike through a jungle down a trail and then up an interior lagoon beach. … We excavated, cleared scaevola, and excavated some more, collected specimens and artifacts all day. … Then, it’s get back to the boat for some fresh sashimi and popcorn.

Popcorn?

You crave salt (because of dehydration). Anything salty was great to eat.

What were the key accomplishments of the expedition?

I think we advanced it. We may have the smoking gun and just not know it yet. … Personally, I would like to go back and continue to go clearing and see what else we could find. Do some more metal detecting.

We found very interesting things that appear to be personal affects. Also, aircraft parts. … And evidence of prolonged camping. There were (the bones of) birds, turtle, fish and clams. And the clams were opened up the way westerners do, from the backside. The natives open it from the front. It’s clear there were castaways there, somebody trying to survive for an extended period of time.

Would you go back to Nikumororo?

If given the opportunity, I would do it in a heartbeat. It was literally the adventure of a lifetime. I have joined a small group of people that have set foot on that island. There are probably more people who have been to the North and South poles than have been to that island.

http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/238825.html

kenb

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread