Ex-treasure hunter ordered to answer missing coins questions - Tommy Thompson

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Ex-treasure hunter ordered to answer missing coins questions | Fox News

Published December 12, 2016 Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio – A federal judge on Monday ordered a former deep-sea treasure hunter to answer questions about the location of 500 missing gold coins.

Tommy Thompson has been held in contempt of court since last December, when Judge Algenon Marbley in Columbus found he violated a plea deal by refusing to respond.

Marbley on Monday told Thompson to answer the questions within 30 days.

The judge's order came after Thompson and his attorneys spent the past month at Marbley's direction reviewing documents that might hold clues about the location of the coins and other assets worth millions.

Thompson has said he told everything he knew during depositions last year. Todd Long, an attorney for Thompson, told Marbley on Monday that nothing has changed from Thompson's perspective.

"He has nothing further to say," Long said.

The coins were minted from gold taken from the S.S. Central America, a Gold Rush-era ship that sank off South Carolina in an 1857 hurricane with thousands of pounds of gold aboard, contributing to an economic panic.

The 161 investors who paid Thompson $12.7 million to find the ship never saw any proceeds. Two sued — a now-deceased investment firm president and the company that once published The Columbus Dispatch newspaper.

A fugitive from Ohio since 2012, Thompson was apprehended in January 2015 along with his longtime female companion at a hotel where he was living near Boca Raton, Florida.

The time that's passed since Thompson's last deposition might give him an opportunity to answer the questions, Marbley suggested.

"Who knows — he might have an epiphany," the judge said. "It is the season of miracles."

Marbley has also ordered Thompson to pay $1,000 a day until he answers questions. Currently, he owes more than $350,000, said Doug Squires, an assistant U.S. attorney. Squires said he hopes the government will see the money.

"The federal government always works very hard to recover all assets," he said.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research real good the people you want to deal with pertaining to sunken treasures. Good hunting and good luck.

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The salvage operations on the S.S. Central America are still ongoing. I have been aboard the Odyssey Explorer about two years ago and met their archaeologist Neil Cunningham Dobson. He was pretty laid back but couldn't wait to get back home to Scotland for a break after having been out on the site for an extended tour. The ship is much smaller in person than how it appears on TV!

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a big fan of Thompson's, but you have to pay your investors.

He had to convince them that he could do the impossible, I would think paying them back would be very gratifying.

At one investor meeting described in his book, someone brought a Navy General, (i think, some kind of military brass), that stood up, and said Thompson was full of s**t. He said the military can only salvage 5,000 feet, and the SS Central America is in 15,000 feet, impossible!!

Good book ,btw, Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a big fan of Thompson's, but you have to pay your investors.

He had to convince them that he could do the impossible, I would think paying them back would be very gratifying.

At one investor meeting described in his book, someone brought a Navy General, (i think, some kind of military brass), that stood up, and said Thompson was full of s**t. He said the military can only salvage 5,000 feet, and the SS Central America is in 15,000 feet, impossible!!

Good book ,btw, Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea.

Not quite that deep... the depth is 7,200 feet actually.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Fine someone $1,000 a day who's in jail that doesn't have any money.

Good plan.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess the courts want the money from the coins first. heh

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fine someone $1,000 a day who's in jail that doesn't have any money.

Good plan.

Oh Thompson has money and millions of dollars of it. Not paying his investors suck. He should go to jail and stay there working on the road gangs. You can find his coins being auctioned off on E-Bay some over $100000 each. That is most likely where the 500 gold coins went to check it Judge.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
You can find his coins being auctioned off on E-Bay some over $100000 each.

Have you got a link? I'm looking for them and I'm probably searching the wrong way- that would sure be interesting to see!

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to E-Bay and type in U.S. Central America Gold Coins. I saw several that was $25,000 each 1856-S and 1857-S One was even signed and authenticated T. Thompson

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, I checked on it.

I"ve got reservations when they can't spell it correctly, for $25,000.

And I don't see anywhere listing Tommy's name.

1856-S $20 Gold Doubel Eagle SS Central America MS63 PCGS CAC

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I checked on it.

I"ve got reservations when they can't spell it correctly, for $25,000.

And I don't see anywhere listing Tommy's name.

1856-S $20 Gold Doubel Eagle SS Central America MS63 PCGS CAC

There are more than one coin worth $25000 The one in the blue graded package has a signature T. Thompson.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread