Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Treasure finders rewarded

By Bill Hankins
The Paris News

Published August 17, 2007

ROXTON — Russell and Rennie Herron got the windfall they had long been wanting Thursday.

Five hundred pure silver dollars they found while searching for firewood in May were returned to them in a Lamar County Justice of the Peace Court.

After an investigative search for owners of the 1996 silver dollars, county officials determined there were no legitimate claims on the coins and awarded them to the Herrons.

Estimates of the value of the coins have ranged up to $150,000, but Thursday Herron said he had already made a deal to sell them to a broker in Dallas.

“I’m taking them Friday (today) to Dallas, but I don’t want to reveal the price we are getting,” he said.

The Herrons were searching for firewood alongside the old railroad trail near Roxton when they discovered a green United States Mint box filled with 500 one-ounce pure silver coins.

The box still had its sealing bands on it.

“I took off the bands and opened it up and found 25 sleeves with 20 coins each,” Herron said.

Each one was valued at from $30 to $50 on the open market.

The uncirculated coins were dated 1996 and still were in their individual protective plastic cases.

The Herrons rushed the box to the Lamar County Sheriff’s Office and turned it in.

Deputies began an investigation to find the owners of the box but to no avail.

The U.S. Secret Service and FBI were notified, but those agencies could shed no light on ownership of the coins.

“We looked back 14 years in our files and have found no report of the missing coins,” Sgt. Ted Gibson of the Lamar County Sheriff’s Department said.

During the investigation, Herron said: “We know we did the right thing in turning them in, but the money would come in real handy.”

Thursday, the Herrons had their dream fulfilled when Judge Cindy Ruthart determined there was no legitimate claim to the coins and awarded them to finders.

Herron said he did extensive research on the value of the coins and the dealers who buy such items.

“We found a dealer on the Internet, and have made a deal with him,” Herron said.

Although he would not divulge the selling price, Herron said he intends to pay down on his home, buy a new car and pay off family bills with the money.

http://web.theparisnews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=db57005830b5f3c9

kenb

K

Kentucky Kache

I'm a bit surprised the coins were awarded to the finders. Good story.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
To be honest, I couldn't/wouldn't have turned them in. They were very lucky that no one could claim them. Turning them in would be like throwing away a winning lottery ticket to me. Like I said, there are no serial #'s on them and plenty of buyers out there. It seems pretty amazing to me that someone lost them and didn't report it or offer a reward. Make's me wonder what the circumstances were for them to end up beside the RR tracks? The other bad thing is that now everybody knows their name and where they live. If they were lost or stashed by a criminal, now they know who has them or the money for them anyway and where they live. I wouldn't want anyone to know that I had them or know how I got them. That may not be the honest or honorable way to handle it but that would pay for both of my daughters college.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
jbot said:
I'm a bit surprised the coins were awarded to the finders. Good story.

Agreed! I'm shocked they opened the case. It was probably worth more unopened ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread