Britain's largest gold nugget found on Scottish riverbed

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...old-nugget-found-scottish-riverbed?CMP=twt_gu

Amateur prospector makes 85.7g discovery while lying face down to search river

3930.jpg
The nugget is thought to be worth at least Ā£50,000. Photograph: Paul Jacobs/Pictureexclusive.com

An amateur prospector has discovered the UKā€™s largest gold nugget while lying face down in a Scottish river.

The British man, who has chosen to remain anonymous, described how he found the 85.7g (3.02oz) lump of gold through a process known as sniping, in which a snorkel is used to search the riverbed.

Named the Douglas Nugget, it is thought to be the biggest discovered in British waters for 500 years.

Leon Kirk, a gold panning expert based in Dumfries and Galloway, said the find was unprecedented and that the nuggetā€™s rarity made it hard to put a price on it. ā€œI would say it is worth at least Ā£50,000 but, as itā€™s rarer than an Aston Martin or a FabergĆ© egg, a billionaire could easily come along and pay a lot more for it. Historically, it is off the Richter scale.ā€

The unnamed man, who is in his 40s, found the nugget two years ago, but the exact location had been kept secret to avoid a gold rush.

ā€œI was following a crack in the bedrock and found around 2g in fine gold,ā€ he said. ā€œThis then led to a pocket, where I uncovered the nugget. I called over my friend to have a look and we both assumed it to be around 5-7g in weight. It wasnā€™t until I removed it that we realised just how big it was.

ā€œI took off my glove and picked it up, jumped out of the water and screamed ā€˜bingo!ā€™ to my friend. We were both stunned and couldnā€™t believe it. Iā€™ve never seen anything like it in my lifetime.ā€

He has stored the nugget in a safety deposit box. Found gold and silver is usually classed as belonging to the crown, and it is not clear whether the finder has received permission to remove it.

The largest gold nugget previously found in British waters was discovered in Cornwall in 1808 and weighed 59g.

Interest in Scottish gold is booming, according to Kirk, who runs gold panning courses at the Museum of Lead Mining in Wanlockhead, Dumfies and Galloway, one of Scotlandā€™s three ā€œgold beltsā€. Hundreds of people attended the recent Scottish and British gold panning championships in the village.

Amateur prospectors also head to Tyndrum in Perthshire and Helmsdale in Sutherland.

The first commercial gold mine in Scotland received full planning permission earlier this year. The company Scotgold hopes to extract an estimated 5,700kg of gold from Cononish mine near Tyndrum.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Incredibly nice.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Another article I read on this particular find showed the discoverer demonstrating the technique he used for locating this piece: "snipering".

Laying face down in a sunlit stream with snorkel gear looking for gold/reflective metals.

Anyone here in USA practiced this or seen it done ?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Another article I read on this particular find showed the discoverer demonstrating the technique he used for locating this piece: "snipering".

Laying face down in a sunlit stream with snorkel gear looking for gold/reflective metals.

Anyone here in USA practiced this or seen it done ?

Quite a few Gold Prospectors use the technique and one member here (MadMarshall) who is now Banned, use to post a lot of videos of him sniping and cleaning out crevices in rocks and bedrocks. Some of the videos have been deleted, probably by Victor himself but some can still be found. You might find some on Youtube where most were hosted.

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
better be carefull or the british government will try and declare it "treasure trove" and lay claim to it...

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first read this, I thought of a Scott laying face down in a river for a different reason!

Last edited:

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ā€œFound gold and silver is usually classed as belonging to the crown...ā€
Hate to go on a political rant, but it looks like nothing has changed since the Revolutionary War. I love to visit London- probably my favorite city in the world- I just donā€™t get how British people not only tolerate this kind of nonsense, but have an uncanny obsession with the Crown. If it was me that found it, Iā€™d be on the first plane to America with my nugget and wouldnā€™t look back. (Would the airport metal detector pick that up?)

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just donā€™t get how British people not only tolerate this kind of nonsense, but have an uncanny obsession with the Crown.

Because the Brits who didn't tolerate it left the overcrowded island centuries ago and created what became the USA, and through a shared love of liberty and respect for rugged individualism, industry, invention and discovery etc. (facets of heritable personality traits) the culture and mindset here naturally diverged from the culture and mindset of those who preferred the comfort of their familiar and more rigidly hierarchical society.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's a bit of a stretch Plumbata ! If what you say is true then the Industrial Revolution should've happened on U.S. shores.. the British Empire wouldn't have the distinction of the being the largest in world history. Fact is that the majority of the colonial settlers were hardscrabble folk with nothing to lose and were led by men invested in making money for companies back home.. and yes there were some people seeking "religious freedom".

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread