Artifacts siezed in 2014, update

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Video at (CBS) https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/f...rtifacts-from-home/ar-BBU6oRA?ocid=spartanntp

When the FBI showed up at Don Miller's home in rural Indiana in 2014 to
seize part of his vast personal collection of artifacts
, it was a shock for people who knew him."He was very beloved. He was very charismatic," former local reporter Liz Dykes said. Dykes interviewed the 90-year-old former engineer about his time in World War II, his missionary work in Haiti, and most of all, his huge collection of artifacts from around the world."The entire house is a museum. There are things everywhere," Dykes recounted. "It was just mind-blowing."Miller willingly showed his collection to reporters, residents, and even local Boy Scout troops, so when the FBI came calling, she said, "I wanted to know what they were looking for... There had to have been something."There was: something the FBI hasn't talked about—until now.

BBU6kfP.img

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Wow. I'm sure he was a great guy, but actions from people like him give everyone else a bad name. I'd be willing to bet a lot of his collecting occurred before NAGPRA and before it was considered 'wrong'.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He cant take it where hes going

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone catch that sanctimonious hyphenated-lefty Anthropologist in the clip say "We have to think about the context of who has been the target of grave-robbing for centuries; whose ancestors have been collected for hobby, and this comes down to RACISM!"

LOL what an idiot! It comes down to availability and access, racism has absolutely nothing to do with it. The graves of classical European civilizations (including Egypt, the Pharaohs were European too) have been the primary target for 400 years, not the graves of poor stone-age primitives. Just because we hear more about Kentucky and Tennessee Meth-heads digging a mound here or there than we hear about Turks razing whole Greek and Roman cities to the ground in search of treasures it doesn't mean that the tombs of racist whitey haven't always been the favorite target.

And while I was horrified when I first heard this story, it's not all bad. Apparently the guy didn't have a good eye for stuff he didn't loot personally and had a collection full of fakes, take a look at this ridiculous modern junk:

uihuihiuh.png

BBU7J2v.img.png
:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Even funnier is how the 'tards at the FBI art crime division apparently can't tell instantly that such items are modern Chinese forgeries, and thus they were highlighted in the news story as examples of his heinous theft of cultural heritage. What a bunch of chuckleheads! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions