All Treasure Hunting

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When you boil it all down there are not that many reasons people search for treasure. If you are not in it for the notoriety, you're probably in it for the money. Thanks for the reminder as I am trying to pass through life unknown.

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand the whole thing...
I mean every time i think i have hit 'the big one' , (every time i get any decent signal), then my mind goes into ...'what will i do?', mode.
The old idea of chuck a few in the direction of the law, wait for the fuss to die down and somehow cash in on the rest... always creeps in...
Hand it over, do the right thing, hopefully receive something of a reward and some media coverage ?.... mmmm, i dunno.
If i hadn't looked, if i hadn't bought decent kit and spent countless hours searching and digging, then it would never have been found...!! It would have lay there forever rotting and whatever...
I consider myself to be an honest bloke... but circumstances could change your moral code...
Such a dilemma.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
distressing, and its not as if the finders would have recieved nothing
certainly a better deal than they now have

photos on a phone = true idiots

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe there's a bigger plot to take it from them.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What idiots... and what the real kicker is... they ARE ALLOWED to detect and find things like this and are compensated for anything found.

Sheesh.

Do you know how bad I wish America adopted this same stance England has toward detectorists... just shows there is always going to be "bad apples" in a barrel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Viking gold is stolen in the first place...

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Viking gold is stolen in the first place...

That’s something of an overreaching statement. Vikings were not just raiders. They were also some of the most prolific wide ranging merchants of the time. Let’s also not forget that even it was “Stolen” gold. There is a good chance that gold was either previously stolen or extorted by its current owner generally at the time, the church. Very few people truly have clean hands.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know how bad I wish America adopted this same stance England has toward detectorists... just shows there is always going to be "bad apples" in a barrel.

NO! Involving the govt is NEVER a solution to anything. It only result in corruption, greed and theft by the govt, if they even let you search at all. You of all people should be fully aware of the complete block to any new searching for shipwrecks off Florida. Now expand that to every state in the union.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Important history has been lost, what a lie they won't ever know why or how it got there even if you turn it in. I remember seeing lost gold of the dark ages where the guy found a big hoard left, they have no ideal how or why it's there no more than you or I could guess anyway. If there isn't anybody around when it happened then one will never know, even if they left writting you would have to believe what was written even if it was a lie as one would never know. HH

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s something of an overreaching statement. Vikings were not just raiders. They were also some of the most prolific wide ranging merchants of the time. Let’s also not forget that even it was “Stolen” gold. There is a good chance that gold was either previously stolen or extorted by its current owner generally at the time, the church. Very few people truly have clean hands.

So Viking gold is 'possibly' stolen, from folks who 'possibly' stole it from someone else... :occasion14:
If the vikings did earn it from trade, it was from trading goods produced on stolen lands, no possibly needed here, therefore it is the 'ill gotten gains' and by all means stolen..
My home town (in Ireland) is 'classed' as an ancient viking settlement, and we haven't forgotten after all this time what they really were...
History tends to warp facts, and recent media/entertainment portrayals of the 'Noble' vikings tends to increase their stock as something great in history... where in reality they were driven from their own harsh environment to settle other lands and they caused chaos and suffering on a massive scale for a very long time in their targeted lands..
Maybe i shouldn't hold a grudge... but vikings are thieves...
Brian Boru showed them the exit at Clontarf in 1014, thankfully.... that would be some site to detect on.:icon_thumright:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
history 'says' that might makes right, and the victors get to write the history
indeed, numerous peoples have the history of their defeats - so one moves forward ?
or stews in past injustices ?

the Vikings involved are loooong dead, good that the Irish are angry
(the Brits are much more recent, but they were civilized)

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They would have been better off with the finders fee than the nothing they will now get + the legal fees out of pocket.

If I put on my thieving cap I would not have turned any coins and jewelry in (Instant investigation) I would have quietly shipped these to the USA and then moved them to market.

I am sure everyone knows that digital images are forever. If you truly need things to go away from your phone or computer. Destroy it and replace with a new one. I personally shred every hard drive I own before it leaves my possession

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
the other side of the pond is little security, and once the photo in the hole was taken -> the clock was running
exceptional had best be avoided

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
I keep saying A STORY IS NO GOOD WITH OUT PICTURES!!! and the EU calls every thing they want a "hoard"...
_109747648_doubleemperorcoin_sourcebritishmuseum.jpg

_109773260_crystal.jpg

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dumb and Dumber...........

Just goes to show you do not need brains to swing a detector.

Under the potable antiquities scheme 3 million pounds would of be awarded and paid 12 months from the official discovery date. 50% to the finder 50% to the landholder.

So 750000 pounds to each of the finders. that is after conversion 962624.25 USD guaranteed. So would you be that dumb enough to risk nearly 1 million free cash each for nothing????

They would or should of been enjoying that windfall by now? But no their self greed got in the way and now their enjoying a prison cell with nothing.

Kanacki.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, thats not "guaranteed" That 3M figure is the number they are throwing NOW. If the finds had been turned in, a committee in charge of buying the coins would have been deciding how much it was worth them to pay for it. Its like when the cops bust a guy with a pound of weed in his car and claiming the drugs were worth $100,000 in their report.

I agree it was crappy of them to screw over the landowner, but I think the whole "everything belongs to the crown" PAS is BS

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Tis true, history is long gone, but i don't think it should be forgotten.
The Vikings were very good at what they did, but ultimately , like the Romans, éiRinn's isle proved too difficult to control... Later invaders were more successful ..unfortunately.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread