Florida diners find rare pearl in clam

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
ASSOCIATED PRESS
ROYAL PALM BEACH, Fla. -- A Royal Palm Beach couple plan on having part of their dinner appraised.

George and Leslie Brock found a purple pearl in their order of clams Friday night at Dave's Last Resort and Raw Bar.

Experts said the rare pearl could be worth thousands of dollars.

Leslie Brock said it was a lucky bite because her husband rarely orders clams.

The Brocks had ordered a dozen middleneck clams from Apalachicola in the Florida Panhandle.

The restaurant owners said more diners are ordering clams after hearing about the Brocks' discovery.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was just going to post this. Some Treasure story. :o
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...clams,0,3554096.story?coll=sofla_tab01_layout

Diners find rare pearl in plate of clams in Lake Worth
Associated Press
10:27 AM EST, December 31, 2007

LAKE WORTH - A Royal Palm Beach couple could be having an extra happy new year after finding a rare purple pearl while eating a plate of steamed clams.

George and Leslie Brock stopped into Dave's Last Resort & Raw Bar on Friday during a day at the beach. George Brock was about halfway through a dozen clams when he chomped down on something hard _ a rare iridescent purple pearl.

At least one expert said the find could be worth thousands.

``Few are round and few are a lovely color, so this is rare,'' said Vermont gemologist Antoinette Matlins. ``I think they have found something precious and lovely and valuable.''

The gems occur most frequently in large New England quahogs, clams known for violet coloring on the inside of their shells.

Brock's $10 plate of clams came from Apalachicola in the Florida Panhandle, said restaurant manager Tom Gerry.

The Brocks, of Royal Palm Beach, plan to have the pearl appraised and said they'll sell it if it's worth a lot of money.

OP
OP
Dirt Fishin Dale

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
Yeah some people have all the luck. I only find hair in my food. :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread