Couple find $12,000.00 in fridge in new apartment

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Couple Find Nearly $12K in 'Cold Cash'

A Janesville couple are hoping they will be allowed to keep the nearly $12,000 in cash they found in their refrigerator when they moved into an apartment.

"It would be a very big help," said Colleen Mesler, 65. "We've been waiting and waiting, and nobody's called to claim it. Other people have found money and got to keep it."

Mesler cried as she talked about the money she found while cleaning the refrigerator in her apartment in early December.

The previous renters have been charged in drug trafficking cases. Police searched the apartment in February and seized crack cocaine, marijuana, a scale and other materials related to drug sales. They found $1,100 on one of the defendants but no bills with serial numbers matching those undercover agents used to buy drugs.

Janesville Deputy Police Chief David Moore said the city will likely keep the money.

"If it is determined that the money is the proceeds from the sale of illegal drugs, then it would be contraband, and on behalf of Janesville taxpayers, we would seize that money," Moore said. But, he added, that has not yet been determined.

Colleen Mesler found the moldy and deteriorating bills wrapped in tin foil and plastic in the freezer. Her husband told her to throw the tray out.

"I thought it was old meat, stale meat," said Jim Mesler, 55.

"But it didn't smell like bad meat," Colleen Mesler said. "I pulled it apart and found $100 bills. I was more shocked. 'I'm not throwing this away,' I thought."

The couple spent the afternoon warming the bills in the oven and separating them with tweezers.

"About $2,000 of it was torn up, or we couldn't get the mold off it," Jim Mesler said. "I just went and looked in the mirror and thought, 'Nothing like this happens to us.'"

Police estimated the stash at $11,950. A precise tally wasn't possible because some bills were stuck together or had deteriorated, according to a court document.

The couple said they would still turn in the cash if they had to do it over. But with an income below poverty level, they are hoping the money will eventually be returned to them.

What would they do with it?

"Pay our bills," the couple said in unison.

kenb

K

Kentucky Kache

I would be surprised if they get to keep it, but I hope they do.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"honey i found 12,000 bucks in the fridge, we are poor and live below the poverty level.
Lets call the police,now everybody knows were are IDIOTS!"

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
EDDE said:
"honey i found 12,000 bucks in the fridge, we are poor and live below the poverty level.
Lets call the police,now everybody knows were are IDIOTS!"

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!
they can kiss that $$$ goodbye ;)

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Did they know when they rented the apt. that it used to be a den of illegal activities?

Now, who would leave that kinda cash sitting in their freezer unless they just "disappeared" or were arrested and stuck in jail for a long time.

If the story went public I'd be nervous someone who knew about that cash would show up and be sniffing around for other lost goodies.

Whatever happened to finders keepers?

Yeah sorry, if I were that kinda poor I might be tempted to keep all the good bills and turn the moldy crumbled ones over to the police.

They won't see it again. Maybe they'll get a good citizens plaque out of it.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
My bet is it would be a hard task to get those bucks out of the big fat fist of gubment.

Them folks are pretty spendy.

The poor folk?

Well, there are reasons some people seem to stay that way...

R M P T R

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As well as checking for serial numbers that match "undercover buy money", the police will process it for fingerprints matching any of the druggies/dealers, THEN they will probably have the state crime lab do forensic examination to see if there are any traces of cocaine (or other drugs) on the bills.......... unfortunately, most US currency has traces of drug residue, most notably cocaine. :-[
They'll probably will do anything that will establish it as drug money so it can be siezed (it's already confiscated), because it would also become 'evidence' in the drug case against the former apartment occupants...........

It WOULD be nice to see the Meslers get at least the spendable bills (a little over $8k) back.

LBJ

Jul 14, 2006
If they get any of the money in return, they might just get a visit from the REAL owners of the money once they get out and decide they need some spending money. Best not to take it at all.

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's when you pay them in 'lead' LBJ.......... ;)

Bang..... 40
Bang..... 80
Bang..... 120
Bang..... 160

Hello, 911?! Could you send the coroner to this address. We just cured a couple drug addicts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread