5 to a side and other comments

zuse

Mar 18, 2005
Virginia
I'm another new poster on this site, but have been working on the puzzle for quite a while.? Many of you have helped me, so maybe something in here will help you:

1.? The "5 to a side" puzzle has been discussed many times.? I had an idea that proved to be interesting? I looked at a US map to see how many states had 5 states surrounding them.? Believe it or not, there are EXACTLY 13 states with 5 other states around them (if I did it right) - 5 to a side:

Arizona - Has Ironwood Forest National Monument; has zacana cactus (zac ana)

Arkansas - Capital is Little Rock; state flower is apple blossom (on teacup on page 41?)

Georgia - State tree is live oak; flower is cherokee rose (on teacup on page 41?), Empire state of the South

Illinois - State tree is white oak

Massachusetts - State tree is elm

Nebraska - State flower is goldenrod (on teacup on page 41?)

Nevada - Rising sun motto on page 41; shape of craker on 41

New York - State tree is sugar maple; Empire stste

Ohio - Rising sun on flour box on page 41; Buckeye state

Pennsylvania - Keystone state; state insect is firefly

Utah - Beehive state; bee insect; beeswax on page 29; honeycomb pattern on nomenclature book

Virginia - Dogwood is state tree and state flower; flower on teacup on page 41?

West Virginia - State tree is sugar maple

2.? I was interested in the cawcats, tam-o'jacks and grubinmoles mentioned on pages 16-17 and 102.? A google search returns a reply for only one:? CAW is Campaign for America's Wilderness.? Their current home page says:? "Wild...For How Long? TWELVE TREASURES IN TROUBLE"? Most of the 12 areas mentioned are west of the Mississippi, so I'm not sure this means much.? Haven't read their website yet.

3.? The red bug on the fron cover, just right of Pook's nose (and, again on the inside cover) is NOT a ladybug.? What is this?

Zuse

R

Rosie

interesting spin on the 5 to a side, you have mentioned their state trees, I looked up state insects. Alot of the 12 are state insects, but the site I was on had the insects duplicated in other states. So there went my insect/state theory.

As you mentioned the state trees, ,many states you named have "champion trees" growing there. I had thought maybe since these champion trees were mapped out.

I have been impressed by many other posts, but at the same time don't want to over-analyze. I think your state 5 to a side is definitely worthwhile!

M

MissMoops

About the five to a side code, some of the boxes that the fairies are holding have five smaller boxes on each side.? Could this mean something? ??? Reply soon thanx

MissMoops

C

caustin

just wanted to make a correction, Pennsylvania is the Keystone state, Utah is the Beehive state... I don't know if this has been posted anywhere else but some other possibilities if you're going by nicknames: Idaho is the Gem state and Montana is the Treasure state.

L

LitDoc

Yes, many people think that the three dopcap illustrations that have a 5 x 5 grid is signifiant.

G

G Gundam 03

I believe that the "five to a side" could also refer to the book on page 38 where five faeries are holding five fingers on the paper. (red fairy in question ???) I believe some sort of code should be used on the text. The style in which it is written supports this theory. I also seem to notice something that looks like writing on the "r" on page 78 that the fairy is pointing to.if you follow the fingers direct path you get to the fold in the dragons wing where i believe the writing is. Then again this could be like the teacup!

Plz reply and share your thoughts ;-),
G Gundam 03

CMSCHUT

Feb 21, 2005
St. Louis
Ggundam 3 , great idea on the 5 to a side . I don't think that's been mentioned yet . I'll aslo try and see what i can find on the dragons wings Welcome !

C

cegodsey

Why is it that this is the first time I've read this thread?? I bunch of NEW ideas, and they are really good. Good thinking Zuse, and good observing G Gundam. It would have been a hoot if the CAW site had "twelve" misspelled.

G

G Gundam 03

I am now trying to use some imaging software to enlarge the dragons wings

CMSCHUT

Feb 21, 2005
St. Louis
Ggundam , i tried to get a close look at the dragons wings , but not having luck . I see what you mean and think there may be letters there . Let us know if you can find anything , carol

G

G Gundam 03

my scanner isn't working :'(
can someone post a pic of the dragon and the bottom of the tea cup?
thx, G Gundam 03

p.s. the 5x5 grid with the "z" in the middle may imply that you have to make a grid with the "z" in the middle for that page. :o

p.p.s. there are two identical fairies pointing to the same place on two "t"s at the beginning of new chapters. has anyone figured out the clue or connection? ???

G

G Gundam 03

i messed with the pic and this is what i got

(doesnt the symbol resmble the tree where the dragonfly token was found??)

Attachments

• teacup.gif
    teacup.gif
    9.9 KB · Views: 847
G

G Gundam 03

is it just me or is this an arrow? :o

Attachments

• arrow2.gif
    arrow2.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 822
B

billk318

I hate to be a "firefly" in the ointment, but Arkansas, Nebraska, and Pennsylvania all share a border with six other states.
Bill

T

treasuretrapper

G Gundam 03~ yes it looks like to me that is an arrow but to bad that its not in my copy. Could you have put it in there earlier and forotton that u had put it there??
lol
~Sara

T

TCDad

treasuretrapper said:
G Gundam 03~ yes it looks like to me that is an arrow but to bad that its not in my copy. Could you have put it in there earlier and forotton that u had put it there??
lol
~Sara

I believe GG is referring to the 5 grains of salt which kind of form an arrow.

TCDad 8)

OP
OP
Z

zuse

Mar 18, 2005
Virginia
Billk318 - and everyone - sorry - I really did try to look at the US map carefully. No intent to mislead. I guess I should have been more carefull when I posted. On PA, I missed Delaware - such a tiny state! My apologies. Anyway, this is not holding true for the locations of the tokens anyway.

Hey! 3 + 1 + 8 = 12 - coincidence?

Zuse

T

treasuretrapper

G Gundam 03~
Oh ima sry! i wonder what the grains are pointing to??
~Sara

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread