New Classified Forum Rules.....

triplehooked

Jul 21, 2010
Elmdale, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Currently back to a Vx3 withe D2 coil ti'l I can save for the V3i. Previous detectors include: Cz3d, CZ20, Vx3, Explorer SE Pro, XLT, MXTx2, Classic ID, Vaquero, Cibola, F2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a suggestion, but why not implement a waiting time frame....say 90 days, in order to post on classifieds....and maybe a minimum amount of posts, too. This might help deter fraudulent activities. Perhaps a new member takes the "risk" and is suggested to send goods that he/she has for sale before payment is made by a known reputable member....at least until a good rep is established. Love the site, but not the fees.....

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Agreed. I have seen several instances of people who only come here to peddle their stuff and contribute nothing. They don't want to pay for advertising so they spam other peoples legitimate posts instead. Other forums I belong to have minimum post requirements before being allowed to advertise in the classifieds and it weeds out the spammers.

Lady Liberty

Feb 7, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
triplehooked,
"Love the site, but not the fees....." 1 fee, $20 for a year. From some of the explanations I've read about why it was done I don't think you're idea would have the same results.

I do see that 16 of your 26 posts are in the marketplace area so i can see why you'd want the area to be free. Why expect free advertising space?

NHBandit,
Most (most that is) of the real spammers iv'e seen here don't even post in the marketplace area, they just spam the rest of the forum. Also most (again most, not all) of those spammers seem to be caught pretty fast.

˩L

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Charter is the best solution. :icon_thumright:

Charter gives the law something to work with in case of scam.

I don;t post often, but I read a LOT.

I have learned enough from T-net to more than cover 20 bucks and made me money. :hello2:

OP
OP
triplehooked

triplehooked

Jul 21, 2010
Elmdale, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Currently back to a Vx3 withe D2 coil ti'l I can save for the V3i. Previous detectors include: Cz3d, CZ20, Vx3, Explorer SE Pro, XLT, MXTx2, Classic ID, Vaquero, Cibola, F2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lady Liberty,
I do feel somewhat abashed as I thought the price was $5 per month, but I later noticed (after your post) that it is $5/month OR $20/year, which I do feel is reasonable for the content gleaned. Then again, most of the content IS FROM IT'S MEMBERS, unlike a paid subscription to a magazine. As for advertisement fees; How do you think other internet entities are able to have "free advertising space" as you called it? I'll enlighten you, sponsors.... Sponsors to whom I have purchased three Lesche diggers, two sets of top of the line headphones, and three detectors... all new. And what do you think that every one of those sponsors ask? "Where did you hear of us?" Hmmm why would they ask that, I wonder. As for my posts on this forum. Look closely at my comments, I'm the first to admit there are many on the classifieds. What are they saying?.... perhaps thanking "sponsors" for fast shipment of hmm.....yep, a detector I purchased from them. And on another post, vouching for a sponsor's reputation to another member. I've sold one detector on this site, lost my butt on it as I shipped it to CA from MI, but I don't care. That helped someone enter into a hobby that otherwise may not have been able to afford it. THAT is what it's all about. There are many, many forums out there that do not ask for a single penny, why is that? Because the real advertising is at the top of this page. Finally, my idea might not sound as if it would work well to you, but I don't hear of other forums that have implemented time frame/minimum post requirements having many issues.... I merely made a suggestion. This site will do what it will, I ,in turn, will respond accordingly. That's the power of the consumer. You wouldn't by chance be the moderator I emailed a week ago would ya?

As always,
Happy Huntin'

Lady Liberty

Feb 7, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do admit that i only looked at where the posts were made so i certainly should have looked a little further on that point. But that really wasn't my main point for even responding. My main point was that i didn't think your idea would work based on posts i had read here. There are posts by moderators, by members that lost money on deals and posts by longer standing members that seemed to have a better insight with things here. I may be new here but i have read a ton of posts. If i have a chance to look for the posts i will, so you can read what i did. As for ability to provide free advertising space. I never suggested an ability or lack thereof. My question was, why would anyone expect or feel entitled to that? Perhaps if i had a history here i'd be disappointed with the change also. Moderator? No, but I have been disciplined by 2 of them already. :) I need to shine my halo.

˩L

OP
OP
triplehooked

triplehooked

Jul 21, 2010
Elmdale, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those comments are fair enough. I do feel bad for those on here that have been duped out of their hard earned money. The thieves in question are probably the same type who leave holes and trash while out 'enjoying' the hobby. Typical, a few bad ones ruin a good thing. My initial post was mostly due to my misinterpretation of the fees. $60 per year times the 3-4 MD sites I frequent can fund quite a few detecting trips for me and my kids. $20 per year is more reasonable. I'm still not to crazy about it, but I'll get over it. I have noticed a significant decrease in posts on the classifieds here, and an increase on other sites for that matter. At least we now know who's selling! I'll be quiet and go back to my corner now.... :lurk:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread