AT Pro 2 coils or 1?

ladyliegh

Sep 17, 2012
SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In a few days I will purchase a Garrett AT Pro, while I am new to detecting, I have been researching for a month. My question is;
I will be using this MD mostly on land, with some use on lake shore, what are the benefits of having both the 5x8 & 8.5x11 coil?
Is it simply the benefit of covering more ground with the larger coil?
I have seen a lot of disagreements about the covers, I may get them if included in the price.
The ground where I live is mostly hard clay, even around the lakes. (not sure it matters regarding the coil size?)
I really want the wireless, but not willing to spend that much cash yet.
Any ideas or comments appreciated.

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get both coils and never look back and wonder. I love the small DD coil on my AT Pro! While you are at it, get an extra lower shaft and mount your extra coil to it so when you want/need to change coils it's a snap.

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ladyleigh,
Get both coils if you can, the larger coil is the stock coil and is a great coil. It does let you cover more ground but it is suppose to give you a litttle more depth when detecting and usually used in areas of less trash. The small coil is used in trashy areas and helps seperate the targets out easier. The depth is suppose to be just a little less than the 8x5 but it helps you determine targets easier when they are close together. I have used both and 90 percent of the time use the small coil, but there are times that the 8x5 is appropriate. Yes yes yes get the covers and use them. They protect you investment and do not interfer with the detection signal at all. I always use covers on mine. Good luck, hope this answers some of your questions and have a great time with your AT Pro, I love mine.

OP
OP
L

ladyliegh

Sep 17, 2012
SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Markincypress & FCCDFEd, I am so glad to have input from owners of the AT Pro, I figured both would be wise, but didn't want to get too carried away $$$
LOL! I realized I posted in the wrong area. Very glad you noticed & answered my question.
I'm looking on e-bay at AT pro + both coils & covers for around 700$.
Wish I already had it! Easily addicted to treasure hunting (been gem mining for years, I have to dragged away at the end of the day.) Thanks again!

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a suggestion, check out the classified sellers here on the forum. They are all competitively priced, can answer all your quesitions before the purchase, all have outstanding reputations, and will work with you so that your purchase will be easy and right for you. When you buy from a known dealer you dont have the risks that come with E-bay. Check out these guys first and I think you will be further a head in the long run. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
L

ladyliegh

Sep 17, 2012
SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right again, FCCDFEd, thanks for the suggestion. I found a similar deal + digging tool here.
I am a long time fan of e-bay, the PayPal/E-bay deal covers most purchases if there is a problem.
But, the digging tool for free is just too sweet! Great idea!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread