Bolts versus welds or other solution

KimberlyV

Greenie
Apr 12, 2016
California/Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i am having a small dilemma. I originally designed my trommel on the idea I would weld iron parts together. A tube stock, and inside angles, and metal hopper etc. Now that I have time to actually do my build, I find I am replaced to a small house where using a MIG is just not an option. It occurred to me to do a redesign based on bolting it together. But I'm thinking the act of trommeling would cause vibration over the entire design stressing bolts, pushing them out, ruining threads, & allowing for other damage. In which case my trommel build would be foolish to some degree. Any thoughts here? How to redesign?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to use all the same size bolts and nyloc nuts. That way you only need a few spares and one wrench size in the field.
I mostly bolted mine together and never had a problem. Loctite is a good idea instead of nyloc nuts.

Nuts and bolts come in handy to be able to dismantle when/if necessary.

GG~

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not familiar with your design ,or build.
Sometimes something has to give and can be designed to replace at intervals before failure. A dog bone shaped action arm with rubber in the holed ends for example , with fasteners through them.
Securing larger bolts in my previous employ on vibe equipment required washers ( in two's each end)that were kind of like the old grinding wheel lands and groove concept.
Interlocking riffles on washer surfaces is not a good description ,but is the one that comes to mind.
"Nord Lock weld" I believe were the types I used.

Here is a link to ponder...clamp force vs vibration might factor.

http:// http://www.boltscience.com/pages/vibloose.htm

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
GG has a good point! and I use the nylocks myself on things BUT you can make your own nylock nuts but simply using some thin nylon fishing line and inserting it between the nut and bolt prior to screwing it together. LOTS cheaper and reusable VRS. nylocks and its limited being reusable ! and if your bolting and unbolting these nuts , this maybe your better option cost wise. And don't forget to post a picture when your done assembling it!

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nylocks are not always reusable. Maybe you could use Loctite 248 thread locker. It is a blue colored, medium strength, waxy consistency, and is reusable. Comes in a lip balm type tube. They also have Red which has even more lock power

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread