Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Trommel in ca question

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    10687 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Yep, call the people in charge.You will get several different "answers" from DFW .Call the water board. I've been on the phone several times with them. Including the guy heading the dredge permit process.He says a shovel a pump and a sluice is not a dredge.Good enough for me.I am in a spot working in a way that would never require a NOI or POO.If I was running a trommel everyday they may want me to have one. Though it is BLM so maybe not. I don't have time to wait two years for approval considering I mine for about five to six months solid .The way advice, knowledge and opinion have been shared by people here. Who do know and do talk to people has been slightly mis-characterized. I think its awesome that they "let" dreadgernaut run according to his POO. However the limited time he is running and the relatively small amount of material is a big part of it. Yes it is my opinion that he didn't even need to apply.Having the written permission from the man is a super bonus.Though there are quite a few people in the state doing the same thing no POO.One thing of note and I hope dredgernaut will confirm....they do not want you dumping tails or water back into the river or creek.The way that we have always run high bankers out of the stream.Pretty much the jist of what was being communicated to gldguy. Other than dredges there are no actual rules or regulations about the type of equipment you "can" use Just if the miner feels his activities meet the threshold of an NOI or POO based on certain spelled out thresholds. Certain districts(forest srvc.) have pushed what and when that is the case.
    Last edited by Goldwasher; Nov 09, 2017 at 11:40 AM.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    j

Dec 2012
    wisconsin
    whites mxt
    176 times
    Prospecting
    correct , do not let dirty water or tailings run back in to any waterway ,100 to 200 yards per summer is definitely a small amount of material for 1 guy , lol , its enough for me , the poo also covers re-opening an old road , installing a gate with lock , and allowing for my mini excavator to dig all my material loose and piled next to trommel , i run my material right back into the holes it came from , with a silt fence to stop cloudy water from traveling back, I run the trommel by hand to guarantee its not being over run , and my 14 feet of sluice are not packing up , also i don't want to dig hard pack by hand for 6 months a year , that's work not fun ,
    but at least when the rules change again , I'm safe with my paperwork and finding good gold ,, also i work on my claim under forest service control , and they are actively harassing miners near me , so ya , i got a permit , goldwasher is a smart guy and knows enough , but he does not know much about what I'm doing , or he would know that in order to do my level of mining it requires paperwork ,I'm not just prospecting anymore. , which is why you should call if in doubt ,
    but i don't mine for a living , i do it cause I'm addicted
    i love bongs and recliners , lol
    Last edited by dredgernaut; Nov 09, 2017 at 11:54 PM. Reason: i was being a dick , sorry
    Golden_Crab likes this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    10687 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    yep because of the excavator. That is one of the criteria that would make a miner need at least a Noi

Blm may leave it at that. forrest service not likely.

Some rangers are trying to call anything past a sluice box more than casual use and will try and push for a NOI and POO

For power sluicing and trommels.

Case law and state law mining law don't really support that.

Honestly I don't remember if in your original post or on the phone you mentioned the mini excavator. Because yes, I do know that at that point you would at least need an NOI. If anything to avoid being harassed in the future from any of the people you need permission from

Digging by hand keeps you out of most paperwork running a motor is not a trigger of an NOI or POO.

I don't know how a weekender could create, follow or have a plan approved.

Someone working a site for weeks with that level of equipment of course it makes sense.

A plan in place and approved is not a shelter from new rules, regulations or staff changes....

Running tails into excavations, silt screens, best operating practices are all things that prevent a small operation causing environmental problems per either CWA or Porter Cologne.

Since those acts describe what shouldn't happen a miner should be able to avoid issues by not creating them.

The added oversight by ranger districts may keep miners from causing harm.

The added "laws" like the dredge permitting issue are merely a tactic to make it " not worth it" there are people in charge in theses agencies, who do not want any digging on public lands at all. Look at what they say about metal detecting.

There is ample law in place that dictates what where and how you can.

If I was setting out to have a similar op I would go the paperwork route.

If ten of us set out to do it in ten different areas of the state and we start out with phone calls...I still claim that we would get five to ten different outcomes.

Back to the OP. A 12 volt recirc trommel , hell a gas motor powered trommel in and of its self is not illegal to run in Ca. and depending on how and where you are sourcing your material requires no special paperwork.

Yes, you can get on the phone and sign yourself up for whatever they are willing to let you sign up for. Some uppity jackhole can still come along and cause you problems paperwork or not.
    Golden_Crab likes this.

Mar 2016
    1518 times
    I have heard there is an outfit that has been successfully jumping through the hoops to get a plan of operation going here in northern california.
    The operation involved logging mature fir trees and mining a virgin bar on USFS administered public land.

First modern operation of that kind I have heard of here along a wild and scenic river.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    10687 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    there are several bonded mines in The E.D.N.F

If you jump through the hoops and they don't require a bond....I would think you jump through hoops just for their entertainment
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    j

Dec 2012
    wisconsin
    whites mxt
    176 times
    Prospecting
    if it makes you feel better I did end up paying a 2000 dollar bond. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180531_103134.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	4.84 MB 
ID:	1649829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180531_104658.jpg 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	1649830Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180531_104709.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	1649831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180603_065924.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	1649836
    Last edited by dredgernaut; Nov 07, 2018 at 09:16 AM.
    MCX likes this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    10687 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by dredgernaut View Post
    if it makes you feel better I did end up paying a 2000 dollar bond. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180531_103134.jpg 
Size:	4.84 MB 
ID:	1649829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180531_104658.jpg 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	1649830Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180531_104709.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	1649831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180603_065924.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	1649836
    Done for the seaseon?

How did it go?

Did anyone come check on you while you were out there?

Did you have to do all your reclamation before leaving for the season?

Just curious?

us
    j

Dec 2012
    wisconsin
    whites mxt
    176 times
    Prospecting
    yeah done for this year. water ran out. it was good. only had 3 weeks to play and 4 days driving. yes forest service came twice to make sure I was doing what I said I would. there were no issues. I filled in my dig holes as seasonal reclamation , but road can stay til I close out the plan. have 2 more seasons on existing plan before having to file extension or close. the fella that came with me kinda drove me nuts. And some pretty gold but never enough. lol. biggest piece 4 grams. I think i have a good strategy and the location is better prepared for next year. now I gotta just think about it for 6 months until melt when I have water again

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links