The Show Diggers... My opinion... Please tell me yours.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the shows recorded and plan to watch them so... I have seen this guys on youtube and I can only predict its going to make us all look stupid they act like idiots... well at least in the youtube videos I have seen... good thing its only 2 shows. I'll let you know what I think after I watch them.... I suspect my opinion won't change a bit!

Chukers

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Chukers
I didn`t watch it, i spent my time here looking at real treasure finds from real people ...but have been reading about it here today. I guess one of the good finds was a toothpaste tube ???
I get my treasure fix right here at TreasureNet and enjoy your posts here often.
Gary G.A.P.metal

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, there are so many threads about this show now that it is nearly impossible to have any real dialog about it. But here is what I posted in another thread....

I enjoyed watching the show. It could have been a lot worse.

1. Yes, their terminology is ridiculous. And sometimes it gets old. But hey, if they weren't "kooky guys" it would get old real fast. Unlike most metal detectorists I've met, they have personality. :icon_thumleft:

2. I don't think there was anything truly "fake" about the finds. If they wanted to fake it they would have been finding gold coins and such. There was absolutely nothing spectacular found despite the fact that they got to detect some premium sites. All normal metal detecting finds with some trash thrown in here and there.

3. The King George coin was probably found before they actually recorded him saying that he wanted to find a King George. It's all done for the sake of the viewer. He probably wasn't even expecting to find that coin and afterward they decided it would be cool to have him claim that he really wanted to find one. Remember, they can show this stuff out of sequence. The "sit down interview" portion of the show is always filmed after the field work is done.

4. The values they quote for each item are obviously inflated. We all know that you can't take any random .30-30 brass and expect to get $1 for it. HOWEVER, you could probably expect to get $1 for a piece of brass that was found in a specific place and had a neat piece of history behind it. If that brass really was from a specific prison riot then it is easy to believe that they could get $1 apiece or even more from interested collectors.

5. The "bets" they have help keep the show interesting. Without a little drama people are going to get tired of watching really quick. These guys are willing to "take one for the team" and do something wacky just to keep the show lively.

6. Their digging technique sometimes left a lot to be desired. I don't think I saw them dig a single plug. That's probably to be expected in the SC sandy soil. But up in Montana I would have expected to see some real plugs and not just them stabbing at the dirt. Of course, they weren't on any well manicured lawns so perhaps they didn't feel the need to be too careful.

7. It would have been nice for them to show more junk being dug. That's the reality of metal detecting. At least they showed some junk on the table when they were all done.

Overall, my kids and I liked the show. It's not exactly "reality" but I don't think they are purposely planting finds in order to look good. It's about as realistic as Gold Rush Alaska, American Pickers, and many of the other shows we enjoy watching. Then again, we know it isn't 100% real and don't expect it to be.

In general it was actually as realistic as it needed to be. They spent several days digging and found what most people would call "a whole lotta nothin'". Most people who aren't into metal detecting will walk away from that show wondering why on earth anyone would waste their time trying to find wheat pennies, bullets, buttons, and other such "juice". ;D I don't think too many people left that show thinking "Man! I have GOT to get me a metal detector!".

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G.A.P.metal said:
Hi Chukers
I didn`t watch it, i spent my time here looking at real treasure finds from real people ...but have been reading about it here today. I guess one of the good finds was a toothpaste tube ???
I get my treasure fix right here at TreasureNet and enjoy your posts here often.
Gary G.A.P.metal

The toothpaste tube was not one of the "good" finds. However, people seem to forget that toothpaste tubes, spoons, or shell casings found in a famous jail are worth a lot more than those found out in some random forest. None of the prices listed for those items were unreasonable considering their potential history. But I agree that if you find a toothpaste tube out in some random forest or park you aren't going to get top dollar for it. In fact, it's likely complete trash unless it is from some rare brand.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G.A.P.metal said:
Hi Chukers
Gary G.A.P.metal

Thank you Gary... I appreciate that!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yaa.. some one should go over there spot with a real detector, and show them what they mist.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twisted One said:

Oh good lord.... The archies all have their panties in a bunch. Heaven forbid anyone else digs in the dirt. Because a tube of toothpaste is such an important historical artifact.... ::)

The way these guys talk we are all a bunch of grave robbers. It's no wonder so many people want to pass laws making detecting illegal.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spell check wouldn't help in this case... Mist was spelled correctly, just a typo on the word 'missed' which is what I believe he was saying

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread