That Diggers Show On National Geographic Channel Sucks

Missouri_John

Nov 27, 2006
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
As if there arent enough of the same unoriginal shows with the same premise(Bering Sea Gold, Ax Men, Ice Road Truckers), Nat Geo pees in the pool even more with Diggers. The show paints a picture of relic hunters and detectorists as people motivated primarily by money and selling their finds, and totally ignores the people who hunt because they have a passion for digging up history. These annoying catch phrase using clowns make it sound like you just show up at a site and start finding Confederate and Colonial relics immediately without any work involved, which any experienced detectorist knows isnt always true.

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup. I have heard that NatGeo has some real loser shows now. They should have stuck with earthquakes, volcanoes and lions eating baby antelope.......

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These annoying catch phrase using clowns make it sound like you just show up at a site and start finding Confederate and Colonial relics immediately without any work involved, which any experienced detectorist knows isnt always true.

Well...though the show is kinda silly, they know the back history on these places before they go and most likely, yeah...it would be that easy to start finding relics and old coins if the place has history to it.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My md club chatted about that also this weekend. The show had painted us as a bunch of clowns out messing around and not showing the public what it's all really about.

...but I hear that Chicago Ron will be having a show about his England trip ~ now that's going to show the public what we are truly all about :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Missouri_John

Missouri_John

Nov 27, 2006
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I just worry that the show will ruin the perception of us TH'ers and will shut the door on potential sites

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missouri_John said:
I just worry that the show will ruin the perception of us TH'ers and will shut the door on potential sites

I bet most people think of the big overweight guy with a fannypack on that they see at the beach when they think of a detectorist. I'm sure the average person who doesn't care about metal detecting will never even turn the show on. I think us Th'ers and the few that watch NatGeo are the only ones watching. lol

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggincoinz said:
...but I hear the Chicago Ron will be having a show about his England trip ~ now that's going to show the public what we are truly all about :icon_thumright:

When and where?

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I watched it John and thought it was a comedy show. They apparently had permission to hunt sites that is prohibited to the general public too. Imagine walking up to some guy's house to ask permission just after he got through watching that show. HH, Quindy.

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Roundness"? "Nectar"? Really? Maybe I just don't know enough MD'ers but nobody I know uses such terms. My first thought was "these guys are clowns." At the end of the second episode (back to back) I thought I will never get that hour back. I'd almost rather watch some stupid purple dinosaur than these jokers.

Orion99

Mar 3, 2012
Havelock, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, It is really really bad. I'm extremely new to MD'n and thought immediately they act really clownish, almost fake. The show really did make it look effortless to find such coins, buttons, and misc items. Their terminology correct? Do ya'll actually talk that way to one another? (not trying to belittle anyone, just curious if I should read up on some MD dictionaries :icon_salut: ) It is quite unwatchable.

ouachitacaveman

Mar 12, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.. the archaeologists I know are in agreement
with us on this one, these shows should be stopped.

:thumbsup:

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather watch Chicago Ron and others on YouTube! Those detecting "phrases" were really stupid. Very disappointing!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When such shows as Jersey Shore are hot...yeah, I'm sure these guys acting like clowns out there is just what NatGeo thinks people are into.

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea and just wait till that show on Spike TV hits....

I mean serious the Arch's are gonna have a field day when they read lines like this.

""“American Digger” follows the American Savage team, led by former professional wrestler-turned-modern- day relic hunter Ric Savage as they scour target-rich areas, such as battlefields and historic sites, in hopes of striking it rich by unearthing and selling rare pieces of American history. After pinpointing historical locations such as Civil War and Revolutionary War battlefields, Savage’s first task is to convince reluctant homeowners to let his team dig up their property using state-of-the-art metal detectors and heavy-duty excavation equipment.

The team will then sell any artifacts found for a substantial profit by consulting experts and scouring the antique and collectible markets, but not before negotiating a deal to divide the revenue with the property owners."" UGH......

craftywulf

Greenie
Dec 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did not see it but even not seeing it I know it is FAKE.Like storage wars I mean if every one found what these shows try to pretend they find every one who did this would be rich.I imagine they buried these things minutes before they suddenly found then.Sorry I do not need this kind of crap TV :-[

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
craftywulf said:
I did not see it but even not seeing it I know it is FAKE.Like storage wars I mean if every one found what these shows try to pretend they find every one who did this would be rich.I imagine they buried these things minutes before they suddenly found then.Sorry I do not need this kind of crap TV :-[

Most of the stuff they found was garbage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread