gem hunting in Utah?

Drakien

Jul 13, 2005
St George, UT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh that makes sense. Did you have any luck with that mine material?

Jagdpanther

Jun 22, 2005
The Edge
2fishon said:
I'm glad you posted that link to the sluice permit. I had been using my sluice box a few places until I learned about that law. I had no idea you couldn't use a sluice box just anywhere. There are only a few streams in Utah where you can legally use one. The permit is free, but you must have it. They are also only good for a couple of months. I guess if I joined a club I would find out that kind of information before I get myself a ticket.

The permit is good for a year but it limits your activities to 45 days. Not sure how they would keep track of that. If your prospecting leads you to places that are not listed as part of the RD&S permit you can always submit a stream alteration permit and hope that it gets approved.

http://nrwrt1.nr.state.ut.us/strmalt/default.asp

Jagdpanther

Jun 22, 2005
The Edge
2fishon said:
I plan on trying Mill Creek. It's on I70 east of the I15 junction. The other places I have tried I wasn't supposed to use a sluice. Mostly I've used it to run small amounts of rock that I sampled from different mines.

Good place but be aware that most of the area is under claim.

utah1066

Nov 10, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
TITAN 3000 XD ,DFX, Minelab X-Terra 705 L Rods
WOW long way to go pan

I will be hitting Willard with my pans once it warms up I know there nuggets and flour gold up in the canyons
I will let you all know when be for i go

Drakien

Jul 13, 2005
St George, UT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! Sounds good! I would enjoy going up that way.

I made a trip to beaver dam wash with the UGPC today. I didnt have much luck, but there was one person that got a nice little piece about the size of rice. So there is gold! I just have yet to find it. :P lol

Jagdpanther

Jun 22, 2005
The Edge
Drakien said:
I made a trip to beaver dam wash with the UGPC today. I didnt have much luck, but there was one person that got a nice little piece about the size of rice. So there is gold! I just have yet to find it. :P lol

How did the group operation do? I went with the UGPC last year to Notch Peak and worked the group dig and was somewhat disappointed.

Drakien

Jul 13, 2005
St George, UT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They didn't find a good place to even bother setting up for a common. :(
So they just spent the weekend looking for a place.

OP
OP
U

Utahdigger

Aug 23, 2008
Salt Lake City
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Sounds like a bummer. I am thinking hard about joining this club on its next meeting (next week). I wonder how much benefit i can get from it though??? I would hate to take the time and money to pack up and drive a distance only to wander around the desert for a couple of days. I will have to check the website and see where the next outing is. That may change my mind.

Drakien

Jul 13, 2005
St George, UT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would still join, alot of their claims have some decent gold on them! They have never had this poor of luck before. It was kinda disappointing but what can ya do? You wont get rich off it, but you will have something to do that is fun and good exercise! :D

OP
OP
U

Utahdigger

Aug 23, 2008
Salt Lake City
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Yeah, I am sure i will join. the last couple days of decent weather has me thinking about detecting and panning. I think the next outing for the club is over Memorial weekend in Nevada. I will have to see what equipment will be needed to participate (ie; is there water there?).

Drakien

Jul 13, 2005
St George, UT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They supply equipment for the common. So whatever you take is what you want. I am not sure on if there is water or not, that is something you could ask one of the main guys at a meeting. If Dave is there he should know. If the snow ever melts off the mountains we should hit up AF Canyon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread