pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post where you have been run out of and what the reason stated was.

Hooper Park: we were causing damage although they never were able to point to any damage caused no matter how insistent I was on seeing the damage.

I haven't been back in quite some time. I was told they are going to be posting signs but I haven't seen any yet. So game on. :tongue3:

groundsmn

Sep 9, 2010
This is spreading like a virus. There is no game on once signs are posted it is over you got it MAC.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Years ago we set up a meeting with lawmakers in Salem, Oregon where we set up our displays of cool finds, all our trash we had dug up, buckets full of lead and mercury we had taken out of our rivers, etc. Had tours with them one on one and in groups where we touted the benefits of metal detecting and dredging and the minimal impacts to the land vs. the benefits. There were slideshows of old mattress springs and axles from old cars being winched out of the river, kids playing and enjoying finding gold, picking up trash, etc. We even set up a gold panning booth and let them keep the gold they found.

It was a joint endeavor with Public Lands for the People (PLP) I believe, and several metal detecting groups from around the state. I dunno if we changed any minds per se, but at least we got to show the positive side of things to a willing audience.

If you belong to any civic groups, Active 20-30 club, Toastmasters, whatever... try and set something up along those lines. If its just not in your power to set something like that up, suggest it at a club meeting if you belong to a detecting club or dredging club. Maybe someone with some gumption can get the ball rolling.

Make no mistake about it, the wackos that are for locking every square inch of public land down for common people are very well organized and the side with the loudest voice will get heard.

Be proactive and get metal detecting ALLOWED in your area somehow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread