540 problem

troll

Jun 10, 2020
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this is not allowed please remove.
Mean while go to the Friendly Metal Detecting Forum. Then go to "All about Detectors " Then there is a Thread called
Attn ALL ML Vanquish Owners High Iron Bias Bug. Seems there are some false readings that they are tying to let the company know about. Make your own test and see what happens. You may be missing good targets.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is complete opinion and speculation. Been hunting with the 540 for several weeks and have not experienced the "bug." Good depth and target ID at depth. No complaints.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The way Minelab marketed the Vanquish and their iron bias settings was a little disingenuous. I've talked to several other people that are mad about the Vanquish iron falsing. The truth is even the high end detectors suffer from the same thing. It is just a limitation of the VLF technology. Some high end detectors have better discrim circuits, but will still get fooled sometimes. Basically the high iron bias setting on the Vanquish equates to almost maximum iron discrimination. Then trying to mute the iron tone by having the horeshoe button turned off only leaves users with the high clipped tone of the iron falsing. The 440 and 340 are permanently set this way. My best advice is to run with low iron bias and the horeshoe button turned on. This way if you get a piece of iron falsing you will also get the other half of that falsing signal which will be the low grunt and you will get the classic broken signal that most detectors will give in that situation. Even if you are running with high iron bias, having the horeshoe button on will still give you more info to work with on falsing iron.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The issue with running with the Horseshoe button pressed is that there is a ground balance glitch because the Vanquish basically runs at zero G/B, and there's no way to ground balance the 540. In order to keep the 540 from falsing with the horseshoe pressed ON, you need to notch or disc the bottom two segments making it run much smoother.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I've experienced that also. In certain areas the ground will give constant low tones like iron. The Equinox does the same thing if you don't manually ground balance.

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The issue with running with the Horseshoe button pressed is that there is a ground balance glitch because the Vanquish basically runs at zero G/B, and there's no way to ground balance the 540. In order to keep the 540 from falsing with the horseshoe pressed ON, you need to notch or disc the bottom two segments making it run much smoother.

Just to be clear, which two segments are you referring to, the -9, -8, or the 39, 40?

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would be -1 and -2. If you are getting low tones when pumping your coil then it is a negative ground balance and simply turning the sensitivity down a little will help. If pumping the coil gives you a high tone then there isn't much you can do. Probably need a machine with manual ground balance for that spot. Did explains it better at the end of this video

Last edited:

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually I told you wrong. You would want to notch out -1 and -2 to eliminate ground noise. I was thinking about the Equinox starting at -9. I edited my last post so no one else gets the wrong info.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonder if the Vanquish update will help with this? You can adjust the iron volume. Might be able to just turn it down and not hear the ground feedback.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread