Brand new V540 not detecting anything

Greenie
Feb 4, 2009
I just purchased a new V540 today, and it won't pickup anything at all. When I put it on all metal it makes a very high (dog whistle high) noise. All the buttons beep and it knows when the coil is attached or not. Do I have a lemon or is there something I'm not doing?

Update: I did exchange this unit for another, and the new V540 works excellent right out of the box!

Last edited:

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's not normal. I would contact the seller.

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: I did exchange this unit for another, and the new V540 works excellent right out of the box![/QUOTE]

Good to know you were able to exchange it for a working machine.

I have noticed a few people reporting issues with their Vanquish. One issue being a sudden power loss. I experienced the power drop out a few times and learned in this forum that the batteries can become disengaged from the contacts. Placing a small piece of foam to fill the extra space in the battery compartment (as suggested in the forum) solved the issue for me. There is also an aftermarket li-ion battery pack RNB-6000 which provides much more (up to 40 hours) run-time and apparently fits much tighter with the Vanquish contacts.

Yesterday I was detecting on a fairly steep and uneven slope and noticed that sometimes when I would set the machine down to dig it would roll over 90 degrees. When it rolled on its side the power would shut off. Fortunately, I could hear when the machine powered down by the disconnection tone in my head phones. It got me thinking about trying the RNB battery.

I wonder if anybody has experienced this and if it again is due to jostling the batteries off the contacts or if Minelab built in some kind of circuit board drop-protection if the machine feels a certain g-force. I have experience with remote controllers for heavy equipment and one manufacturer actually has this type of drop-protection sensor built in to the hand-held control transmitters. The remote controlled machinery will power off immediately if the transmitter senses a drop to prevent unintended movement.

DD

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lemons happen, just no good excuse. There’s always a REASON, but it’s not an excuse.

Chuck M

Greenie
Dec 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own the Minelab Vanquish 540 pro pack and I absolutely love it. I'm finding wheats and silver coins at 10". This machine gives good readings and I like the tones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread