Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Victorio Peak Documents, Symbols and Artifacts

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2007
    southwest colorado
    9 times

Re: Victorio Peak Documents, Symbols and Artifacts

..Partial quote
    "At other times Letha mentioned Doc bringing out a box full of European mail, which he promptly burned. He felt it may show ownership in someway and jeopardize his find".

If that is true, what a tragady.

Bill

us
    Oct 2010
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Bill96
    ..Partial quote
    "At other times Letha mentioned Doc bringing out a box full of European mail, which he promptly burned. He felt it may show ownership in someway and jeopardize his find".

If that is true, what a tragady.

Bill
    Yes this is true. I remember Dorothy, Letha's sister saying how mad she was about that. She said, "do you have any idea what those stamps would be worth today?".

us
    Mar 2007
    southwest colorado
    9 times

I had never thought about "stamps" but actually that could be very revealing.

Bill

Charter Member
    om
    Jan 2006
    SoCal
    Modded SD2000 / XTerra70 / Fisher Gemini /
    819 times

Alex,

Here is something I don't know if you have ever seen or not, but some time ago, I was sent this snippet of a newspaper article.

It talks about how Milton Doc Noss was a dinner guest of a certain Captain Emil Holmdahl. In case that name is not familiar to you, Captain Emil Holmdahl was an important officer that worked for Pancho Villa in the Mexican Revolution.

It was a well known fact that Pancho Villa looted as much of the wealth of the country as he could. Could this be a connection between Pancho Villa's Loot and Victorio Peak? Since many of the aristocracy of Old Mexico were rooted in Europe, that would explain the Euromail as well. Maybe Maximillian's Crown Jewels were recovered by Villa and hidden in VP until after the Revolucion as an insurance policy for himself.

Best-Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Check out 1ORO1.COM

pw
    Apr 2003
    New Mexico
    BS
    1145 times

Quote Originally Posted by gollum
    Alex,

Here is something I don't know if you have ever seen or not, but some time ago, I was sent this snippet of a newspaper article.

It talks about how Milton Doc Noss was a dinner guest of a certain Captain Emil Holmdahl. In case that name is not familiar to you, Captain Emil Holmdahl was an important officer that worked for Pancho Villa in the Mexican Revolution.

It was a well known fact that Pancho Villa looted as much of the wealth of the country as he could. Could this be a connection between Pancho Villa's Loot and Victorio Peak? Since many of the aristocracy of Old Mexico were rooted in Europe, that would explain the Euromail as well. Maybe Maximillian's Crown Jewels were recovered by Villa and hidden in VP until after the Revolucion as an insurance policy for himself.

Best-Mike
    Out of curiosity, do you have a date on that report? Just wondering when Holmdahl and the lucky deer hunter met.
    ​Adios, amigos - it's been interesting.

Charter Member

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    923 times

Alex,

Best-Mike
    Mike,

I believe you are close to being on the right track here. Here are a few facts about Holmdahl:

In 1952 Secret Service Agents questioned him about a rumored $20,000,000 in gold ingots that someone had smuggled across the border. Holmdahl denied any knowledge of it, and the investigation was dropped. Was it some of Villa's loot?

Emil was known to have a connection with a banker in Morenci, AZ........Home of the DeGrazia family. One of Ted's companions in the Superstitions was a man named Jose Compoy, a Yaqui native to the Sierra Madre. Holmdahl spoke Yaqui....."like a native". Another man who also accompanied DeGrazia into the Superstitions was Marko Romero of Chihuahua, who claimed he had ridden with Pancho Villa.

Rumors of gold ingots in Mexico, and Emil Holmdahl, are prolific. LaFrance's cave of gold bars comes readily to mind here.

It would make a very good adventure yarn.

Take care,

Joe

Charter Member
    om
    Jan 2006
    SoCal
    819 times

Quote Originally Posted by cactusjumper
    Alex,

Best-Mike
    Mike,

I believe you are close to being on the right track here. Here are a few facts about Holmdahl:

In 1952 Secret Service Agents questioned him about a rumored $20,000,000 in gold ingots that someone had smuggled across the border. Holmdahl denied any knowledge of it, and the investigation was dropped. Was it some of Villa's loot?

Emil was known to have a connection with a banker in Morenci, AZ........Home of the DeGrazia family. One of Ted's companions in the Superstitions was a man named Jose Compoy, a Yaqui native to the Sierra Madre. Holmdahl spoke Yaqui....."like a native". Another man who also accompanied DeGrazia into the Superstitions was Marko Romero of Chihuahua, who claimed he had ridden with Pancho Villa.

Rumors of gold ingots in Mexico, and Emil Holmdahl, are prolific. LaFrance's cave of gold bars comes readily to mind here.

It would make a very good adventure yarn.

Take care,

Joe

Hey Joe,

Are you talking about this interview (see below)? It was during the course of the Federal Grand Jury Investigation into the "Four Corners" "17 Tons" that on 22 July 1952 Agents of the Secret Service interviewed Emil Holmdahl. His name was omitted from the FOIA Page, but reading it will tell anybody that knows anything at all about Holmdahl can easily figure out who they are referring to.

I have approximately 800 pages of FOIA Releases, News Clippings, TV Show Research Files (Unsolved Mysteries), Photographs, Personal Notes, interviews, and letters, Court Documents, and much more that strictly deal with the New Mexico 17 Tons Story near Farmington, NM.

You might also take careful note of what Holmdahl stated to the Agents in his interview regarding the validity of Villa's Treasures:

"HOLMDAHL related that over the years he had heard various stories of persons trying to locate buried treasure of gold and jewels allegedly hidden by Pancho Villa in the Southwestern part of the United States or in Northern Mexico. HOLMDAHL believes, from his experience in the Mexican Army and having served on Pancho Villa's Army Staff, THAT A TREASURE OF GREAT VALUE WAS BURIED EITHER IN THE UNITED STATES OR MEXICO."

Now, Holmdahl's description of Viila's Treasure does not exactly fit the description of the 17 Tons Treasure (17 tons of gold bars), but it does fit in quite nicely with the description Doc Noss gave of what was in those different caves at VP (gold and jewels)!

Best-Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SecSvcHolmdahl1.jpg 
Views:	2139 
Size:	499.9 KB 
ID:	467758  
    Check out 1ORO1.COM

Charter Member
    om
    Jan 2006
    SoCal
    819 times

Alex,

Do you still have any contact with Norman Scott of Expeditions Unlimited?

There are a few questions he may have some important answers to.

Best-Mike
    Check out 1ORO1.COM

us
    Mar 2010
    Republic of Texas
    154 times

Hmmm - the plot thickens ... now we have deGrazia and Villa/Holmdahl (I've gotta look up on that Holmdahl - that's a Norwegian name if I ever saw one!)
    It would seem that finally - there are a lot of things that suddenly seem to fall together ...
    Gents, I thank you for bringing all this up on the table. I'm not saying that it's all crystal clear, but I do believe the sandwich falling off the table will fall with the buttered side up!!

Per

us
    Mar 2010
    Republic of Texas
    154 times

ok - here's the first google attempt at Emil Holmdahl:
    Born in Ft.Dodge, Iowa in 1883. Enlisted in the 61st Iowa Infantry and served in the Philippine Islands. After discharge, joined Lee Christmas in Honduras. Went to Mexico in 1909 and served in the Rurales under Emilio Kosterlitzky. Holmdahl changed allegiance to Madero after the fall of Juárez. Later, he joined Villa and then Obregon. Returned to the U.S. and worked as a taxi driver. In 1916, he was a guide with Pershing's Punitive expedition. Later served with the U.S. 16th Infantry in WWI. In 1926, while on a prospecting trip to Mexico, he was arrested for desecrating Villa's tomb. Friends arranged his release, and he returned to the U.S.

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    1882 times

My friend you will be fascinated by Holmdahl, the last of the breed of true Mercinaries. Once you start on his story, you will not put the story down. Incidentally in France he was a Captain and decorated for stopping a German break through.

Don Jose de La Mancha
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

us
    Mar 2010
    Republic of Texas
    154 times

@Real de Tayopa,
    How true that is - and if you haven't read it all allready (which you probably have!) - check this one out:
    http://www.american-buddha.com/cia.s...fortunetoc.htm

wow!!

us
    Sep 2010
    Area 51 S4 Groomlk Dreamld
    Whites-Bear- Anything that goes BEEP!
    Collecting anything unusual,Vintage,Ancient,Rare,Unique,Advanced,Modern,Archaeological Artifacts or Items of Earth that should not exist in our time period.

Posted by: Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
    (Once you start on his story, you will not put the story down. )

right, right!

Looks like will have to start a "Villa/Holmdahl" Thread.

Very interesting,

Thanks.

Brian.

pw
    Apr 2003
    New Mexico
    BS
    1145 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loke
    @Real de Tayopa,
    How true that is - and if you haven't read it all allready (which you probably have!) - check this one out:
    http://www.american-buddha.com/cia.s...fortunetoc.htm

wow!!
    It's a good read. Shows what the life of a mercenary was 100 years ago. Your pals might very well be your enemies next month. Holmdahl was in the right place at the right time to be involved in all kinds of chicanery. There's persistent rumors in SW New Mexico about Villa's knowledge/involvement with bullion caches north of the border. The Columbus raid may have been payback for a betrayal having to do with a cache. But then I've also heard that the raid was in retribution against a Columbus merchant who sold the Villalistas bum ammo. It's an interesting time period that hasn't been all that well documented.
    ​Adios, amigos - it's been interesting.

Charter Member

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    923 times

Springfield,

Believe this is pretty close to what the books I have on Villa say about the Columbus raid:

http://web.nmsu.edu/~publhist/colhist.htm

I will double check when I get home this afternoon.

Take care,

Joe

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors