What really happened all those years ago.

majolle

Greenie
Apr 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I may not have the answer to that specific question, at least not all of the answer but, I do know quite a lot. My Dad is Tony Jolley, and even though I was just a small boy when most of this took place, I was there on one trip with my dad when he and another man slipped into the peak and poked around. I never got to go into the mountain with them but I was there when they came out. They had a few things, some old coins, a couple other trinkets but the most interesting thing they had was an old map. This they took and we left the site. My dad told me stories of the time he and Doc buried lots of gold bars and that he had returned a couple times to look for them. They didn't have the equipment we have today and time plays a funny trick on ones mind. He found some bars but not many. I don't think there are any left now, might be though it would be nearly impossible to gain access. I remember we walked a long way in the dark.
I have always wanted to find out more but I think that with what I know, There isn't any real treasure, especially in the mountain anymore. I have turned my interest to where it all originated and that is not going to be easy either.

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I have turned my interest to where it all originated and that is not going to be easy either." -

I would like to hear what you have to say in these regards. Here or in private.

OP
OP
M

majolle

Greenie
Apr 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. What I was referring to is the area in Mexico where Padre LaRue came from before his trek to New Mexico. We went there once many years ago and spent about a week poking around. It drew a lot of suspicion so we packed up and headed home. We found what we believe to be a catacomb burial site. Lots of very interesting items including a stone statues. Its very remote area not easily accessed and another time we went back we were shot at and federales made life pretty uncomfortable for a day or two. With all the drug cartel stuff now, I don't want to even try.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

treasminder2

Banned
Oct 9, 2011
Seems people have some funny lives .

I once met a Woman who said she was Married to Oscar the Blow Fish .

Another time , I met a Woman who said Oscar the Blow Fish had never been married .

Then one night , Laying in a Meadow of beautiful Wild Flowers in the San Juan Mountains ,,,

I met Oscar the Blow Fish . He was not a He ,,, He wasn't even a Real Fish ,,, in fact , Oscar said it never knew
fish at all ,,,,
and,,,,
I wasn't even drinking that night .

Oh yeah , almost forgot , Oscar couldn't get married , no fingers for a wedding ring ya see .

Thank You , and may all your Guardian Angels Have Pearly Whites , Blue Eyes , and wear revealing
clothing .

Drogo

May 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I have turned my interest to where it all originated and that is not going to be easy either." -

I would like to hear what you have to say in these regards. Here or in private.

Ditto that.

I have turned my interest to Doc's impromptu caches if any of them still exist. Only a fool would think that there is anything of significance left in Victorio Peak. Whatever the military didn't get would only amount to a few stray items missed. I tend to think there's no way that there is still a "hidden chamber" full of treasure buried by the dynamite blast.

But what about Doc's caches?

Surely someone out there knows (and they ain't talkin').

Just driving through the area between Hatch and Radium Springs (the area west of VP), one sees little caves and crevices in the rock faces of the peaks just along the highway. A person trying to hide treasure in a hurry might have used one of these intending to find a better hiding place later...and maybe never got the chance to go back.

I say "What if?"

Or...how about this...

If we accept the premise that Spaniards or other possessors of vast amounts of wealth would use caves to hide their loot, then Victorio Peak should certainly not be the only stash of goodies in the desert.

If you've never been to New Mexico, it is a huge state with vast deserts and mountain ranges dotted with two decent sized cities and a bunch of tiny towns.

There could be hundreds of treasures salted away in remote areas for which all memory and record have been lost to the sands of time.

One could literally spend more than one lifetime exploring the remote areas of New Mexico looking for treasure.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread