DOC NOSS-Victorio Peak OR The Caballo Mountains

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
I really wanted to address the alleged LaRue, and the LaRue map but thought about being nice, but since its been brought up, I will let it feed itself, np:cat:
This is an old story - it was in an El Paso newspaper in the early 1960's, and may have been in print even earlier. I got a copy of the map 10-12 years ago, maybe more, from a guy in Las Cruces (not R.S.). I'd be interested when the letter and map first surfaced and who provided them. I personally don't believe there was a 'Padre LaRue'.

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield, glad to talk to you, Padre LaRue has been researched to death, as far as I know theres never been any proof of this padre at all, only in some writers imagination,and as far as I know there is no LaRue map.np:cat:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sprinfield is correct about the crosses. I posted because on the old maps of the area, this is the only place called the three crosses. As for La Rue, I think there is still some of that gold around.

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casca, always glad to see someone doing their research, yes Im sure there is plenty of gold left to be found. I hope you find some so you can tell us about it,if not that's ok to,good luck. np:cat:

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Lure of the Treasure Trail.

All stories must be told, no matter if they are big or small.
There's a meaning in each word of the story that should be searched for, no matter the sorrow or joy.
Every hunter is born into it, educated about it. We pay all our lives by living it and searching for it.
Then we die into it.
The satisfaction of learning the one main word that has special meaning for each of us.
Thus to enlighten us in that magical place we came from and are returning to called the unknown.

Treasure hunters are dreamers, why can't dreams come true.
np :cat:

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
First off, thank you all for such amazing stuff. The knowledge shared is as said amazing. Something I was thinking about, and has been bothering me..
#1 was if you have a big stash of something valuable you don't keep it all in one place. Figure whomever had these stashes most likely kept them in multiple places. Only makes sense, to prevent someone stumbling onto it all, especially if what you have is not something you are supposed to have.

No idea as to who originally had said stash(s), but as stated they were hiding it for a reason or two. Folks have been doing this since the beginning of time.
In this case, what is confusing to me (easily done so) is it appears we have multiple possible stashes in the same spot(s)

From some of the stories I've read here and other places, the items left are from different time periods. Just my thinking, as if you found someone's pile of goodies, why would you leave yours there, let alone why would you leave theirs there? Leaving yours there would mean someone else knows of its location and could easily remove theirs and yours.

Okay, maybe it was all from the same group, but what, over hundreds and hundreds, if not thousands of years? And back to the first part, the amount just alone for VP, how the heck much did they have that they had this much stashed there?

To me it just boggles the mind that if this was just one part of their stash, what's still out there in the other ones?

As for Doc, well I think we can agree he was no Boy Scout. If he did find a big old stash, and it does appear he found something, just from what I've read about him I could easily see him moving some of it. Making new stashes, even salting spots to make folks look in the wrong places, and keeping info to himself of the location(s)

Fear and greed are two powerful forces.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know specifically LaRue. One of the stories has to do with that, but that the treasure came from Monterrey, Mex. during the Mexican Revolution. I also heard a version where Willie found the skeleton of LaRue (I call BS though). Was the map shown to Noss the one Willie got from the windowsill with the sextant, or was it a map found in his treasure cave? I couldn't say, and the only two people that would know for certain died in 1949 and 1998.

NP,

Stick by your ideas if you like, but to do so requires you ignore Captains Fiege and Berlette, as well as Capt Orby Swanner. Swanner's Story is about as verified as they come. A man that personally witnessed the removal of about 93,000,000 troy ounces of gold from VP. But its okay. Stick with your story if its what you want to believe.

Mike

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
NotPeralta wrote
Padre LaRue has been researched to death, as far as I know theres never been any proof of this padre at all, only in some writers imagination,and as far as I know there is no LaRue map.

I don't think people have researched father La Rue as much as some may think.

18th <1698> Paris M le due was closeted with the d Orleans for a long time this morning and is about to present his memorial against the du Maine and the count de Toulouse The Jesuits have no longer permission to confess Paris there are but four to whom that permission is continued these are father Gaillard confessor to the Queen of England father la Rue, father Liguiere confessor to Madame, and father confessor to the duke d Orleans
Memoirs of the court of France from ... 1684 to ... 1720, tr. from the diary ...
By Philippe de Courcillon (marq. de Dangeau.) pp 386

27th The King and Monseigneur have gone to bid adieu to the King of England who sets off tomorrow without fail they went after hearing the sermon of father La Rue
ibid, pp 158-159, date 1689

25th <April 1697> The King heard the sermon of father la Rue which was much criticised it is thought that he was desirous of stating publicly the sentiments of the society upon the new books about which so much is said father Gaillard has preached at Paris in the same spirit
ibid, pp 317

11th Versailles The King went to the dauphiness's at nine in the morning she is growing worse and has expressed a wish to receive the sacrament Father la Rue perceiving her unwillingness to be attended by him told her that if she had any objection to confess to a Jesuit she might send for whom she pleased either among the missionaries or the Franciscan friars and he would go for the person she might select.

ibid, pp 267, Feb 1712 -note that La Rue is a JESUIT.

Matthew Prior to James Vernon 1698 August 27 NS Paris The Landgrave of Hesse's sons who are here incognito have been presented to the King by the Duke of Orleans The Prince of Parma is returned hither through Holland and Flanders in order to his seeing the camp at Compiegne A sermon preached here last week by the famous Jesuit La Rue upon St Bernard's Day makes a great noise The Bishop of Meaux and other prelates were present the preacher after having made a long panegyric upon his Saint extolled him more particularly for having combated and destroyed a heresy which Gilbert Poretanus Bishop of Poictiers taught or at least encouraged and at last he compared this Bishop to the Archbishop of Cambray and St Bernard to the Bishop of Meaux The good Bishop is thought to have concerted this sermon with the Jesuit and we are like to have a division in that good order of men since most of them at Rome are less violent against the Archbishop's doctrine than Father La Rue was in his sermon here
Reports, By Great Britain. Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts, pp 256

Clearly, there WAS a father La Rue, quite prominent and controversial in France in the late 1600s and early 1700s. Could this be the very same man associated with a mine and treasure in New Mexico? We know that both the Franciscans and Jesuits each accused the other Order of "poaching" in their respective territories, is it not possible that a Jesuit named La Rue, was working in the Franciscans territory of New Mexico?

Please do continue amigos,
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gollum,
Yes, I believe I will stick to my story. As you said, one of the two people "who knew the truth" died in 1998. But if the "truth" that Letha knew was just about Victorio Peak, why did she and Jerry put so much effort into finding Doc's treasure in the Caballo Mtns? NP:cat:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Gollum,
Yes, I believe I will stick to my story. As you said, one of the two people "who knew the truth" died in 1998. But if the "truth" that Letha knew was just about Victorio Peak, why did she and Jerry put so much effort into finding Doc's treasure in the Caballo Mtns? NP:cat:

Not to speak for my amigo Gollum, but I am in agreement with you in part - that there IS a great treasure hidden in the Caballo mountains; whether it is related to Victorio and the Nosses I can't say. I was not there at the time. :dontknow:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
... Clearly, there WAS a father La Rue, quite prominent and controversial in France in the late 00s and early 1700s. Could this be the very same man associated with a mine and treasure in New Mexico? We know that both the Franciscans and Jesuits each accused the other Order of "poaching" in their respective territories, is it not possible that a Jesuit named La Rue, was working in the Franciscans territory of New Mexico?

Please do continue amigos,
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Of course, anything is possible, but people have considered the Jesuit LaRue to be only a coincidence in names re the Soledad Peak legends. The rationale is: 1) He was a Jesuit who would have been operating quite close to El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro, the main artery into North America from Mexico and a Franciscan stronghold - very unlikely. Unlikely, but not impossible of course. I'm still seeking confirmation that Kino himself journeyed to the lower Rio Grande Valley. If that happened, it would change the game considerably. 2) The Jesuit LaRue was somewhat a royal court dandy, with no indication he ever journeyed to the New World or was capable of living the harsh lifestyle necessary to run a desert mining operation. 3) The timing was not right - the alleged LaRue letter was written in 1802, too late for the Jesuit LaRue.

This was a good find, and I'm generally wary of coincidences, but I would feel confident in ruling out the Jesuit LaRue from these legends. The Franciscan LaRue ('the street' in French)? The legend includes the San Andreas, Organs, Caballos and certain other mountain ranges in southern New Mexico (and possibly Arizona?), and perhaps 'LaRue' is an alias or a code for someone or something else - people and place names are critical in these treasure legends. The 'seven' letter and its provenance? Probably not what we think, I'd guess. The mine that produced all the gold secreted in seven depositories? Probably west of the Rio Grande. As always, I could be wrong about all this, but I would be very wary of anything coming out of the Noss camp.

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't start this thread to rehash or reminisce about old stories about Victorio Peak. My goal is to offer enticing new information about Doc Noss' treasure and the secret low key search in the Caballos undertaken by Jerry C and Letha G. For anyone interested in finding what Jerry C and Letha G were looking for, there is a paper trail of public information. A lot of investors' money was spent following clues in the Caballos that had nothing to do with Victorio Peak.
If people serious about treasure hunting would open their minds to new clues and do some research, some actual progress might be made. Come on people, debating LaRue accomplishes NOTHING. You'll never find anything sitting on your butt looking at a computer.
Maybe someone younger has already taken what I've written and their own research and added it to their knowledge and figured out where to look. We can only hope they will tell us of their adventure upon their return. My intent is to enliven the hunt by putting out information that has not been previously available. Rehashing old stories doesn't advance the quest---new information does. If you ignore the new and simply debate the old, you'll never FIND anything.
You can start your research by getting ahold of the claims filed by Jerry C in 1995. It's all public record. Compare the claims to the maps, you might be amazed and even inspired to get away from the computer and go look. NP :cat:
Now your gonna make me go back to the Caballos this summer and look at few spots.........darn.

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm - I have my sincere doubts that it can be the same 'La Rue'. Now - before anyone jumps down my throat and asks for proof - I have none, just 'gut'-feeling (for whatever it is worth).
Somebody who intermingled with royalty - would he later be found in MX and leaving with his 'flock' to NM? Would he not serve the Jesuit 'agenda' better by having 'friends in high places'??

Just my 2c-worth ...

[edit]Sorry - didn't see springies reply before I answered ...

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
... My goal is to offer enticing new information about Doc Noss' treasure and the secret low key search in the Caballos undertaken by Jerry C and Letha G. For anyone interested in finding what Jerry C and Letha G were looking for, there is a paper trail of public information. A lot of investors' money was spent following clues in the Caballos that had nothing to do with Victorio Peak...
... Rehashing old stories doesn't advance the quest---new information does. If you ignore the new and simply debate the old, you'll never FIND anything.
You can start your research by getting ahold of the claims filed by Jerry C in 1995. It's all public record. Compare the claims to the maps, you might be amazed and even inspired to get away from the computer and go look. NP

Well, this isn't exactly secret info either. I never looked up Cheatham's claims, but I imagine they were in Bat Cave Canyon, where most of the action has been in the Caballos since the '20's. You want something new? Following is part of an email I received from Jerry September 2000:

"Dear Steve,
Thanks for sharing the story about the Caballos. I am familiar with the area that you speak of; it is the Bat Cave Canyon area along with The Paint mine. Milton (Doc) Noss, my grandmother Babe, my mother and her brothers used to camp at Clato (sp?) Springs just below Bat Cave Canyon. Doc had found something there but was afraid to remove anything because of the crazies that were up there watching everything.

There is an interesting, but I believe true statement that goes something like this: History is written by the victors." In the area of treasure stories my grandmother used to say that "it draws some of the best liars." Based on my eight years experience talking to and researching some of these stories I do believe that it involves a lot of liars. ..."

Bat Cave Canyon has a history all right. So has the nearby place known as 'Willy's Cave'. By the way, the Caballos are still infested with major league crazies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, this isn't exactly secret info either. I never looked up Cheatham's claims, but I imagine they were in Bat Cave Canyon, where most of the action has been in the Caballos since the '20's. You want something new? Following is part of an email I received from Jerry September 2000:

Dear Steve,
Thanks for sharing the story about the Caballos. I am familiar with the area that you speak of; it is the Bat Cave Canyon area along with The Paint mine. Milton (Doc) Noss, my grandmother Babe, my mother and her brothers used to camp at Clato (sp?) Springs just below Bat Cave Canyon. Doc had found something there but was afraid to remove anything because of the crazies that were up there watching everything.

There is an interesting, but I believe true statement that goes something like this: History is written by the victors." In the area of treasure stories my grandmother used to say that "it draws some of the best liars." Based on my eight years experience talking to and researching some of these stories I do believe that it involves a lot of liars. ...

Bat Cave Canyon has a history all right. So has the nearby place known as 'Willy's Cave'. By the way, the Caballos are still infested with major league crazies.

Springfield, you are correct about the crazies in the caballo's, your grandmother knew what she was talking about, sounds like a good woman, jerry's year long search in the caballo's started in 1995, and lasted till his investors ran out of their life savings and there were quite a few of them, np:cat:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Just to be clear here, I did not state that the father Charles La Rue in France circa 1687-1712 IS the same one associated with the lost La Rue mine and treasure, I merely asked if it were possible. The dates would be wrong and it appears that Charles La Rue spent his career in France; however there are still other La Rue's, and the French connection would be the correct route to investigate. The point was that there IS an historical father La Rue, though a Jesuit which raises yet more questions.

One other version of the story has it that the padre's name was La CRUZ and not La Rue, as a side point.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Springfield, you are correct about the crazies in the caballo's, your grandmother knew what she was talking about, sounds like a good woman, jerry's year long search in the caballo's started in 1995, and lasted till his investors ran out of their life savings and there were quite a few of them, np:cat:

Whoa! It wasn't my grandmother - it was Cheatham's grandmother, Ova Noss.

Many people have lost much money to scammers in those hills, and still are.

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield, Sorry, I got confused by your two different quotes about grandmothers. np:cat:

If people want to know the exact location where Jerry C was hunting they need to get a copy of the claims from 1995.
He also had the claims surveyed professionally. Nice, when you can spend other people's money.

Last edited:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Springfield, Sorry, I got confused by your two different quotes about grandmothers. np:cat:

If people want to know the exact location where Jerry C was hunting they need to get a copy of the claims from 1995.
He also had the claims surveyed professionally. Nice, when you can spend other people's money.

Why don't you just tell us where his claims were? Then tell us how you think it relates to Noss. That way, we'll have something to talk about.

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't start this thread to rehash or reminisce about old stories about Victorio Peak. My goal is to offer enticing new information about Doc Noss' treasure and the secret low key search in the Caballos undertaken by Jerry C and Letha G. For anyone interested in finding what Jerry C and Letha G were looking for, there is a paper trail of public information. A lot of investors' money was spent following clues in the Caballos that had nothing to do with Victorio Peak.
If people serious about treasure hunting would open their minds to new clues and do some research, some actual progress might be made. Come on people, debating LaRue accomplishes NOTHING. You'll never find anything sitting on your butt looking at a computer.
Maybe someone younger has already taken what I've written and their own research and added it to their knowledge and figured out where to look. We can only hope they will tell us of their adventure upon their return. My intent is to enliven the hunt by putting out information that has not been previously available. Rehashing old stories doesn't advance the quest---new information does. If you ignore the new and simply debate the old, you'll never FIND anything.
You can start your research by getting ahold of the claims filed by Jerry C in 1995. It's all public record. Compare the claims to the maps, you might be amazed and even inspired to get away from the computer and go look. NP :cat:

My hope is that someone IN New Mexico will take the time to find the claims and GO look.
Letha G shared this information about Doc Noss' treasure with Jerry C in 1995. They were in charge of the search for Doc Noss' treasure in 1995 in the Caballos.
That's ALL they were looking for besides the small trunk above the spring that Doc hid in Rincon. np:cat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread